Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Carrera GT drifting on mountain road.

It sure doesn't seem like the first time he is driving it...
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Yeah I am serious. Sliding a car around when you're only doing 20mph is really not that impressive in a supercar - if it can be stable through the S-bend following the straight at the 'Ring doing 190mph, imagine how easy it would be at running pace!

Drifting aside, his line through hairpins looks like a computer game line - it's just wrong.

His braking is shoddy to say the least (look how much the car is squirming) and listen to the tires when he's just pushing through corners - it should be an even, consistent squeal, he's far from that which is what leads me to believe he doesn't have much experience with the car or is not that good. It's not that hard, I was drifting a Ferrari 430 first time out - if he was doing 100mph, i'd be impressed. He's competent, nothing more.

See. it's not that hard - that's me driving in those pics...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Oh yeah, one more thing, listen to his throttle control - Bleurgh! lets drift round this bend – Bwaaaaarp bwaarp bwaaaarp bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp bwarp. Nasty.

I'm glad there are so many driving experts in this forums.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

MrK, will you PLEASE take it on board that he was DELIBERATELY doing that for the item ??

You are demonstrating a level of stupidity if you think he would drive that way normally. He's doing it for the show. Jsut as Clarkson gets cars sideways at every opportunity. If you want to show fast then dont' drive like that JC ! 5th Gear is best for showign it, Tiff chucks the car around liek mad and THEN drives it for a hot lap and totally different lines, braking and throttle.

Oh and on throttle control, THAT IS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO to keep an inherently stable car unstable

PS: when your only 2 wheel drifting you've lost time already !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    You are demonstrating a level of stupidity if you think he would drive that way normally
    Hmmm, this is getting hot... I'm outta here!!!

On a more serious note, I think we are all aware his is not driving the car 10/10ths but trying to slide it around (for show); we are precisely trying to evaluate (very very subjectively) if he is good at it or not.

Peace!!!
    Zag when they Zig

Look - I appreciate that he's doing it for the camera, but he could at least make it smooth. You don't have to drive like a fool to get a car sideways - just look at the D1 drift boys or any rally driver who's playing about.

All I'm saying is that what he's doing isn't that difficult and judging by the way he's approaching what he's trying to do - he ain't that hot.

I;'m confused you KNOW he's doing it for the camer a and then you want him to do it different ?

Wonder who knows his target audience better ???
    ( it sounds like the anti-Clarkson diatribes we here from some non-Brits. JC knows what makes TG a fun program and delivers it )

What he's doing IS difficult on open roads with 200ft drops and armco barrier 5 feet away. It DOES make a HUGE difference when there is a nice run-off area and gravel trap around

By talking about his "approach" I'm confused. He is deliberately making an inherently stable car unstable. Are you prehaps comparing this with drift comps where the cars are set up to drift That's an entirely different beast and not comparable
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

hey hey hey woah hey hey woah. hey. woah. Clarkson rules.

It is possible to make a stable car unstable with progresive inputs - you just have to be good.

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    hey hey hey woah hey hey woah. hey. woah. Clarkson rules.

It is possible to make a stable car unstable with progresive inputs - you just have to be good.
    erm, have you TRIED it on a narrow road with a BIG drop.
    Good for focussing the mind, it's easy to get "progressive" and run at 99% no tracks. Definately a different matter on alpine roads, tree-lined routes and forest stages

To get a car to break you need to exceed the grip. To do that in a STABLE car with progressive input then you HAVE to take the car to the design limit on it's grip and THAT happens at MUCH higher speeds. That means a couple of things ...

first, you wont get break at lower safer speeds
    second, when it DOES break it may go on the front OR the rear OR BOTH
    third, when it does go you've no space left to bring it back in.
    fourth, it is NEVER spectacular as break-away at 101% needs VERY quick recovery and that means barely noticable "drift"
    fifth, fanboys think the movies show how fast cars handle So "real" handlign won't seem fast or spectacular or difficult to them

Well then, I finally saw the movie at my friends house.

He likes cars, but he isn't really an enthusiast...He was gasping in awe as I was.
    it was great IMO.
    All about the t-tops

Does a barrier count? In a car that's not mine?

Or trees? trees must count.

Hola Guys...the file has been deleted.

Hahaha now that's a bump. I remember, I still had dial up internet when this thread was made, I remember watching it on my friends broadband. :P
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2-juvfMG8k
    That's the vid
    All about the t-tops

Thread Information