Thread: Purchasing/Modifying a Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior

Purchasing/Modifying a Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior

Hey all,

Well, its time for me to think about getting my first car. Because I'm an Aussie, its got to be RWD and pefferably, a 8-banger. I could go a Holden Commodore (I worship Holden btw ), but most young drivers of these are what we call "Bogans". I don't want to be one of these, so I've been contemplating a Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior. Its RWD, has a V8, so it looks good so far. I'll be looking to modify it, though I want some time to get some experience of driving, and gain some skills - going to driving centres and stuff. In this time, I want to plan what could be modified. I don't want it to "go fast", but rather I want a more responsive, more tactile, more agile car. I was wondering if you guys had any idea on what I should do, and how I should go about it. Keep in mind I'm in Oz, so advice on locally available products would be smashing.

Cheers guys
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

If I were to do something like that in the States I'd try to do as much after-market as possible, as the Lexus dealer pricing on OEM parts is very high. If I had a sound running LS400, I'd leave the engine untouched.

Breathing better is a basic of some extra performance so I'd look into intake and exhaust. I don't know if they make it but I'd look into a HKS or Tanabe cat-back exhaust, possibly even headers and cats. Intake-wise, K&N element would be a good start. If they made a carbon-fiber air-box that does away with the intake baffle would rock. I'd check Carbonio first but I think they mostly do Euro-cars.

Suspension is geared for luxury in the LS and I'd stiffen it up with some quality shock and springs. H&R springs makes some great springs that give better control without a dropped/slammed look. I think they have a series that's just 25-30% stiffer than stock but still offers much better control. I follow their recommendation as to which shocks to apply. Tokico has some adjustables but Bilstein are great as well.

When I need new brakes I'd replace with Brembo rotors and some high friction pads. Factory calipers should suffice, probably just get some rebuilds.

Wheels and tires are the final point of making an impression and expression, on the road and for the look of the car, respectively. I'd choose wisely. +1 maybe +2, just not overstated, as that's the best way to make a car look trashy. Mesh BBS with a bright or black lip might complete it for me. As for tires, I'm partial to Pirelli, they're cheap and grip well.

That's pretty much what I'd do.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Ah, splendid advice! Thanks heaps!

I was reading a few reviews and so on, and all of them said the engine was great, so I'll take your advice on that one

Um, is it possible to get an aftermarket manual for it? If so, which one do you guys suggest, and where can I get one?

A treasure trove of Lex/Toyota V8 info: http://www.lextreme.com/
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

thank you again kind sir!

Thread Information