Thread: ACO releases new LMP1/2 regs

ACO releases new LMP1/2 regs

The ACO has released some new technical regulations for LMP1/2. The most interesting of them is air conditioning has to be put in LMPs to keep the temperature around the driver less than 30 degrees celsius. I'll post them all at once later.
    Last edited by Zytek_Fan; 12-04-2005 at 10:11 PM.

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    The ACO has released some new technical regulations for LMP1/2. The most interesting of them is air conditioning has to be put in LMPs to keep the temperature around the driver less than 30 degrees celsius. I'll post them all at once later.
    They should do that for GT1 and GT2 too, I saw the Panoz drivers on TV back in June and they almost exploded. Hmmm......it was only Panoz anyway. I don't think it matters much to LMP drivers since they're all open top and can't be any hotter than GT1 and GT2 inside the cockpit.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    The air conditioner is mandatory for closed cars. There are new rules for all Le Mans entrants, not the LMP cars specifically. The minimum weight is also up 25 kg for all cars.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Amazingly, NASCAR have been running aircon for a while.....I guess its not surprising at all....

From http://www.mulsannescorner.com/news.html (dec 2005 news) a great Le Mans background/technical site

14.1.9 – Temperature inside the cockpit (closed car) :
    The ambient temperature around the driver must not be higher than 30°C (86°F) whatever the temperature on the outside when the car is in motion. After a stop, the temperature must go back down to this value in 5 minutes maximum. An efficient air conditioning system comprising a compressor, a condenser, a pressure reducer and an evaporator is compulsory for the closed cars. It must be described on the homologation form and approved by the ACO.

Subsequently the ACO has increased the all-up weight for LMP1/2 by 25 kgs making them 925 and 775 respectively. Presumably this is to take into account the weight increases caused by the fitment of an air conditioning (AC) system. This weight increase is across the board for closed and open-top cars (even though it is a regulation, understandably, for closed top only) in order to maintain parity. To further that, the ACO is allowing a engine restrictor diameter increase for closed top cars (taking into account power loss suffered from running said mandated AC system):

Normally aspirated and turbo charged gasoline engines:
    For closed cars equipped with an air conditioning system, the following restrictors diameter must be increased by :
    - 0.5 mm for 1 restrictor ; ;
    - 0.3 mm for 2 restrictors ;

Turbo charged diesel powered engines:
    For closed cars equipped with an air conditioning system, the following restrictors diameter must be increased by :
    - 0.6 mm for 1 restrictor ; ;
    - 0.4 mm for 2 restrictors ;

Note the .1 mm difference between the restrictor increase allotment gasoline to diesel? Further case to run a diesel? Figuring the AC's horsepower impact will be no different (or shouldn't be I would think) whether the engine is gas or diesel powered, I find that rule just slightly odd if ultimately inconsequential. Though more power is more power...

Finally the regulations are more specific regarding wear rates of the 20 mm underbody skid:

3.5.6 - Skid block :
    a/ It must :
    a.3 - have a minimum uniform thickness of 20 mm. A maximum wear of 5 mm will be permitted at the end of the practices and at the beginning of the race. The skid block will not be checked at the end of the race.

Previously the regulations stated nothing in regards to how much (if any) wear was allowable. It is good to see that the ACO won't go the route of the FIA in regards to skid wear and removal of race results (recall the Spa-Schumacher debacle circa 1996 or thereaouts?) in that they won't be checking them post race.

And finally, much less significant though worth a mention:

5.5 - Exhaust system :
    5.5.1 - Noise level : see sporting regulations.
    Dynamic sound readings will be taken during the 2006 events. The method of measurement and the results will be given to the competitors for information. As from as 01/01/2007 the sound emitted from each car will must not exceed 113 dbA during the qualifying practices and the race. The measurement will be made at 15 meters from the edge of the track.

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN. Guess we'll not hear the Spyker again then

The full regs are at http://www.lemans.org/24heuresdumans...ements_gb.html
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 12-05-2005 at 09:55 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thank you. The regs Mike put up won't load.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine

And finally, much less significant though worth a mention:

5.5 - Exhaust system :
    5.5.1 - Noise level : see sporting regulations.
    Dynamic sound readings will be taken during the 2006 events. The method of measurement and the results will be given to the competitors for information. As from as 01/01/2007 the sound emitted from each car will must not exceed 113 dbA during the qualifying practices and the race. The measurement will be made at 15 meters from the edge of the track.

DAMN, DAMN, DAMN. Guess we'll not hear the Spyker again then
    I guess no one will run a Judd GV4 at Le Mans next year

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    They should do that for GT1 and GT2 too, I saw the Panoz drivers on TV back in June and they almost exploded. Hmmm......it was only Panoz anyway. I don't think it matters much to LMP drivers since they're all open top and can't be any hotter than GT1 and GT2 inside the cockpit.
    Panoz was the only front engined of the class and it ended up that a lot of the engine heat was funneled back through the cockpit. As such it was a very difficult car to drive for extended periods.
    Honor. Courage. Commitment. Etcetera.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    The Saleen S7R drivers have a big problem at races where it's hot because the power steering fails on the car a lot

Why are they just now requiring AC to be fitted to cars? Was there some exhaustion related incident? I used to wonder how these racers could bare the heat. The open cockpit cars don't get that hot but with the sun beating down and the full race suits, I can't imagine they're comfortable.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Why are they just now requiring AC to be fitted to cars? Was there some exhaustion related incident? I used to wonder how these racers could bare the heat. The open cockpit cars don't get that hot but with the sun beating down and the full race suits, I can't imagine they're comfortable.
    You should have seen some of the drivers get out of closed cars at Le Mans this year, they were drenched with sweat

Thread Information