Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coast to Coast USA: Diesel V. Hybrid

Coast to Coast USA: Diesel V. Hybrid

Mercedes ML 320 CDI and a Lexus RX400h – the ‘h’ standing for hybrid.

http://cars.msn.co.uk/carnews/coasttocoastdec05/

and the winner was ....

"Hitting the Pacific
    Arriving at San Francisco with 3,208 miles on added to the odometer we crunch the numbers. Over the entire route ML has totalled 31.0 and 30.7mpg, the RX400h managing 27.7mpg. Impressive consumption all round, but the diesel wins outright. However both clearly represent relatively inexpensive and easy ways to help reduce America’s shocking 20.5 million barrel per day oil consumption."

and it wasn't even the better French diesel engine
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

This happens because they were travelling on the highway. Above a certain speed the hybrid system is not active, so the car is using only the normal engine. So, of course the diesel won.

If the race was in a city, then the outcome would be different.

I believe that the Hybrid would have won

There need to be way more diesels in North America. In fact, someone ought to make a Diesel Hybrid over here.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    There need to be way more diesels in North America. In fact, someone ought to make a Diesel Hybrid over here.
    YES. Wouldn't that have been the logical choice.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

The problem is people bitch constantly about the smell of diesel exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    W3RD, they should quit the bitchin' though. They can complain about the smell when they hit 8.00/gallon gas prices. Diesel > Unleaded Regular Petrol.

They also bitch constantly about paying for gas - I'd say a little more often, too. Basically, I agree that people often tend to suck.

wow, thats the dumbest test ever...

intead of justifying people's purchase of 5100lb gas guzzlers by showing theyre "better" than hybrids, why dont they compare a prius and an ML around town?

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    intead of justifying people's purchase of 5100lb gas guzzlers by showing theyre "better" than hybrids, why dont they compare a prius and an ML around town?
    What?

What?
    well, instead of showing how one SUV is better than an other. they could have just shown how theyre a dumd decision if milage is your concern by putting up against something that can do 40-50+mpg.

well, instead of showing how one SUV is better than an other. they could have just shown how theyre a dumd decision if milage is your concern by putting up against something that can do 40-50+mpg.
    I understand - my bad, I misread the test car as CL 320 CDI! - I thought it seemed like a bit of an odd comparison

I can't say that I have ever noticed that any of our diesels smell anymore than anyother car...

wow, thats the dumbest test ever...

How is a Prius "justified"?

It takes twice the energy to manufacture two times as many drive train componenets over a "normal" car, and its high efficiency only works when you are stuck in heavily congested traffic or pootling about in car parks looking for a space.

Diesels only have one engine each, and get good efficiency all the time.

Hybrids are not the future.

If Americans are going to buy SUVs anyway, they might as well be buying the most fuel efficient SUVs available...
    Thanks for all the fish

Results are not surprising at all. Petrol-Electric engines are NOT the way to go.

Most interesting comment in the test: The Lexus' engine still lacks the smoothness of the M's diesel.

People tend to concentrate on mileage issues when promoting diesels, but more US people should get acquainted with the ride qualities of modern day diesels. Also look at comments the testers make to compare in-gear accelaration of the two cars. Too bad the Chrysler 300 CRD will not make it to the States, it has the same engine as the M tested here.

For those with sensitive noses: Don't start your cold diesel engine with the doors open
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    For those with sensitive noses: Don't start your cold diesel engine with the doors open
    hehe, when someone is on my bumper, i just push the throttle al the way down. with a very big cloud of smoke as result (i never rev it over 3000 rpm, so when i do, it "cleans" the exhaust )

smelly smelly
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

Quote Originally Posted by PoRsChEnUt
    hehe, when someone is on my bumper, i just push the throttle al the way down. with a very big cloud of smoke as result (i never rev it over 3000 rpm, so when i do, it "cleans" the exhaust )

smelly smelly
    you have to clean from time to time otherwise you are not going to meet the APK (MoT) requirements
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information