Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: most expensive cars to own?

most expensive cars to own?

The full cost of ownership for any automobile can be eye popping. The figures for expensive luxury models are especially high because vehicle depreciation — the loss of resale value as a car, truck, van or sport utility vehicle ages — is the biggest single car ownership cost, said Michael Calkins, manager of approved auto repair for the AAA National Office. For a vehicle with a higher initial purchase price, the loss adds up to a greater monetary amount than it does for a low-cost car that began its life with little to lose.

Costly cars to own

• Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
    • Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
    • Porsche 911
    • Mercedes-Benz S-Class
    • BMW 7 Series
    • Mercedes-Benz G-Class
    • Jaguar XK
    • Land Rover Range Rover HSE
    • Acura NSX
    • Dodge Viper SRT10
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

And how much do I bet that there was an Audi in that list but you "forgot" to put it in

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    And how much do I bet that there was an Audi in that list but you "forgot" to put it in
    Nope, that's the full list.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

I thought....depreciation-wise, 911's were supposed to be pretty good, holding about 2/3 of their value after 3 years (or along those lines). My info might well be out of date though.
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by RazaBlade
    I thought....depreciation-wise, 911's were supposed to be pretty good, holding about 2/3 of their value after 3 years (or along those lines). My info might well be out of date though.
    It depends, some do really well and some jstu suck.
    Usually because the "performance" special version is replaced by a new "performance" version. Thus depleting the vlaue of the older one.
    Here's a not so great example....
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...buyorsell=sell losing £50K !!
    Versus the 4 Tiptronic "only" losing £17K over the 3 years.
    http://www.parkers.co.uk/pricing/use...buyorsell=sell
    You can also play with this and find comparative figures for all the variants you like. Not as easy as having a "black book", but at least I dont' ahve to type it all out
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    i love to see it but it was not on this list,just to see what A8L would been.

Quote Originally Posted by QuattroMan
    The full cost of ownership for any automobile can be eye popping. The figures for expensive luxury models are especially high because vehicle depreciation — the loss of resale value as a car, truck, van or sport utility vehicle ages — is the biggest single car ownership cost, said Michael Calkins, manager of approved auto repair for the AAA National Office. For a vehicle with a higher initial purchase price, the loss adds up to a greater monetary amount than it does for a low-cost car that began its life with little to lose.

Costly cars to own

• Mercedes-Benz CL-Class
    • Mercedes-Benz SL-Class
    • Porsche 911
    • Mercedes-Benz S-Class
    • BMW 7 Series
    • Mercedes-Benz G-Class
    • Jaguar XK
    • Land Rover Range Rover HSE
    • Acura NSX
    • Dodge Viper SRT10
    any car made in gemany is expensive to maintain.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    VW ? http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/fleet/co...ole_life_costs

Which cars are you using to decide ?
    The 10s of thousands of Mercs driven by Taxi drivers all over Europe ? ( You ever known a taxi driver to chose an EXPESIVE to maintain car ?? )

I think your getting biased information based on cars sold in your market, parts costs in your market ( tho M-B are never cheap ) and 'proper' servicing costs. Have you looked wider in reaching the conclusion or did you want to refine your comment with region ?

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pr...=11352&src=vip US-based $1500-$2K per annum service.
    http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/pr...P&tab=1&sub=-1 Buick "thingy" at $1500-$1600 ?
    Not really a BIG difference - tho I admit it's only two sample points, but I'm trygin to second guess the cars that you were using in your analysis.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by kingofthering
    sorry matra beat me to it, German cars are well worth it.

german cars are great...until their warranty is up.
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

I was looking at a V12 powered italian with a bull on the bonnet earlier this week:

AU$600,000 + on roads new
    Insurance ~AU$14,000 1st year (under 30)
    Depreiation ~$150,000 in the 1st 2 years

Including servicing, but not fuel ~AU$200,000 in the 1st two years.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    I was looking at a V12 powered italian with a bull on the bonnet earlier this week:

AU$600,000 + on roads new
    Insurance ~AU$14,000 1st year (under 30)
    Depreiation ~$150,000 in the 1st 2 years

Including servicing, but not fuel ~AU$200,000 in the 1st two years.
    WHich is "only" 33%.

You want to go check out some other cars, 33 is not too bad

Go look up a stock Ford, they'll typically run 25% depreciation in year one and another 10-15 in year two. You're lucky to end year 2 at 50% !! And that is ONLY CAPTIAL VALUE, never mind the servicing costs and insurance

Looking at deperciation as a $$$ figure will always scare. The thread IS about "expensive to own" though so whether it's good value for a rich isn't allowed to enter it
    But if you cafford the car you can afford the percentage drop in value - just liek the Ford/Holden

If you keep cars long enough the overall depreciation will be more or less the same. Only if you plan to buy a new car every two or three years, you may want to look at the depreciation curve. One should also take into consideration that depreciation on a German car may be less, but you of by paying 10-20% more for the car, so you have to take that into account as for instance loss of interest.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Only if you plan to buy a new car every two or three years, you may want to look at the depreciation curve. One should also take into consideration that depreciation on a German car may be less,
    point.

MINI is prime example in the UK right now for one year old depreciation.....

It is £400 !!

Yep, it costs you ONLY 400 pounds MORE to buy a BRAND NEW Mini rather than a one year old. Now THAT is sweet. Course once you're in to second year it starts to move towards the norm for cars that size

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    point.

MINI is prime example in the UK right now for one year old depreciation.....

It is £400 !!

Yep, it costs you ONLY 400 pounds MORE to buy a BRAND NEW Mini rather than a one year old. Now THAT is sweet. Course once you're in to second year it starts to move towards the norm for cars that size
    but look what you pay for a new Mini in the first place. Same, and even worse probably for a BMW 1-series...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Thread Information