Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barina pretty and big on value

Barina pretty and big on value

Barina pretty and big on value

Nice package: Holden Barina
    18 December 2005

Neil Dowling

Christmas is a time of giving and I really feel like giving this car something.

Perhaps a sense of style, some zip, even some modicum of class.

But, I'll give it to Holden — this new Barina is cheap.

At $14,990 with the automatic gearbox, airconditioning and electric windows and mirrors, it shapes up well — on paper — against its nearest rival, the Hyundai Getz.

Born in Korea of Korean-American parents, the Daewoo Kalos has been adopted by Holden to start life in Australia as the Holden Barina.

The smallest Holden now comes with a broad range of standard equipment and feature-to-feature represents good value for money.

Externally, it's a pretty car that follows similar design cues with the Hyundai Getz. Basically, these two babies are cubes with noses.

The three-door Barina tested comes with long doors for easy access to the rear, but the door won't open far if there's an

obstacle alongside the car.
    The five-door model costs $1500 more yet is more user-friendly, even when not carrying rear passengers.

The Barina's boot is shallow, requiring folding down the split rear seat to carry any decent load.

Beneath the floor is a full-size spare tyre, which is very welcome.

I'll now pour cold water on all these niceties by pointing out the dashboard.

Whatever possessed the cabin designers to choose gloss-black plastic sheets — in four different textures from flat to leather-look to golfball dimples and raised bumps — to make the dash is anyone's guess.

It is a vision, tragically permanent for the car's owner, that sits in front of the driver and passengers as a stark reminder that this is a cheap car.

At least the centre console has plenty of buttons.

Standard fare rates highly, with dual airbags, MP3-compatible CD player, electric windows and mirrors, comprehensive instrumentation and airconditioning.

Occupants have good all-round visibility, even those in the back.

The seats are relatively comfortable, but offer little body support, and even two adults can fit in the rear.

Performance is quite brisk with one person aboard, though suffers when fully loaded, which is surprising for a 1.6-litre engine.

This one should have a lot more zip for its capacity, though I'd admit the four-speed auto entices a few horses out of the corral so they don't compete in the stampede.

Generally, it's a car that is easy to punt around. As you'd expect, it's size and tight turning circle makes it nimble for shopping.

It is also surprisingly adept at cruising the freeways at 100km/h with the only intrusion being tyre roar.

It's a nice package backed up by Holden, but has some fierce rivals in this light-car category.

The Sunday Times
    Again not a bad review for something that is controversial the shift to Korea.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Holden should worry that people will see it as a recycled daewoo...but for 12k who really cares...
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I think even that doesn't worry some, It really has become a Korean scare,
    People are really scared about cars built in Korea.

I have nightmares about them...seriously though holdens korean sourced cars aint that bad...the viva and "S3X" surprised me...especially the S3X...looks great...whether it will kill the tezza...i dont think so
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Maybe the only way the S3X could hurt the Terra is if it's better off-road capable?. But it's a little shorter then the Terra and that might not help.
    I think when people think Korean cars they think of cheap labour cheap work cheap cars, But they really ain't like that anymore they are more professional now a days.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Maybe the only way the S3X could hurt the Terra is if it's better off-road capable?. But it's a little shorter then the Terra and that might not help.
    Its about the size of the kluger and I think it has the option of RWD or AWD...the tezza isnt exactly a bush basher but i heard earlier in the year that ford was workin on a hardcore version, and also a luxo version...think cramming a fairlane into a tezza...aswell as the turbo version....seems like the turbo version was the only one to be approved i havent heard anything of the other 2 in a while...
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I thought I saw one of these the other day. It was a Daewoo.
    I almost cried.
    All about the t-tops

I dont think its right to snob a car, just because of its origins (spellin*). People have to get over the Hyundai or Daewoo badge, because it doesnt nessecarily make the car bad. Just look at how much Hyundai is improving.
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

Hyundai is the next toyota if u know wat im saying...their openning a new plant in Michigan...lol that wont go down well with Ford and GM....
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

I was reading a review of the Hyundai Azera (Gradeur) at Edmuds.com, and they were saying that the interior plastics were on par with the E-Class :S

I bloody well hope they are, but I don't count on Seppos for accurate or unbiased information...
    uʍop ǝpısdn sı ƃuıʇıɹʍ ʎɯ

It's a little like the boy who cried wolf, It's hard to trust them from the past, But Holden is working with them and I'm sure Holden will rub off some on them, I wouldn't be surprised if it was holden idea with the Astra front and engine?. (But not this car) The viva.
    My sister drives a Korean built car it's not the best but that's because the first ones here were not checked for problems, Now they check them.

Did she buy it new or is it a second hand thing...?
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

She Won it new It's had a calliper replaced the mirrors dont work the SRS light keeps coming on, A engine light comes on and it rattles.
    But her car was the first bunch that were not inspected, Now they check them all when they arrive like they should have from the start, Later next year it's going back to them for the 4th time for the 4000k check up and they are going to fix these problems,
    But when the calliper went they had to order it over took them 1-2 months. It went through 4 bottle of fluids.

Wouldent touch one with a bardge pole!
    Good to keep while its got warrenty no longer imo...cost of parts is shocking too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Jinx
    I was reading a review of the Hyundai Azera (Gradeur) at Edmuds.com, and they were saying that the interior plastics were on par with the E-Class :S

I bloody well hope they are, but I don't count on Seppos for accurate or unbiased information...
    With the way Mercs are made these days I wouldn't take that as a compliment....

Thread Information