Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Is the Bugatti Veyron the greatest car ever made??

Quentin, instead of making 3 consecutive posts, please use the "edit" botton next time. Welcome to UCP.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by KonaGreen
    What you say is true. I just can't get to grips with it.
    you cant grips of the kick @ss car??! or the kick @ss price???!
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

i am not sure but i think that jc's message may have been taken out of context for the purposes of this thread. i find it unlike him to make such a groundless comment that it is the greatest car period. but rather i think that it should be said thatit is the greatest at what it does which is straightline speed and comfort rather than it being the greatest all-around.
    there is nothing groundbreaking about the concept of the veyron because it bases all of its claims on the idea that having more power than anyone else will make up for any shortcomings that may come about. this idea has been around since the musclecars of the late 60's where "no substitute for cubic inches" was the idea being followed by all american automakers.
    -Fundamentals are a crutch for the talentless.

-I thought the blacks in Baltimore were bad, shit, they’re nothing compared to these fags you got here in San Francisco…haha.

-Kenny Powers

Quote Originally Posted by jump15vc
    i am not sure but i think that jc's message may have been taken out of context for the purposes of this thread. i find it unlike him to make such a groundless comment that it is the greatest car period.

You find it UNLIKE JC to make such baseless assessments?

but rather i think that it should be said thatit is the greatest at what it does which is straightline speed and comfort rather than it being the greatest all-around.
    there is nothing groundbreaking about the concept of the veyron because it bases all of its claims on the idea that having more power than anyone else will make up for any shortcomings that may come about. this idea has been around since the musclecars of the late 60's where "no substitute for cubic inches" was the idea being followed by all american automakers.
    The Veyron, by all accounts was meant to be a showcase vehicle for Dr. Ferdinand Piech and the entire VAG engineering group. Mission accomplished.

No one will ever truly love it for what it is; but it's cooly capable, and an excellent example of putting your mind to something to get it achieved, no matter what the cost......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

NO! It is not the best car in the world (IMO). It is too ugly, I do not care if it can go 500mph. I would rather have a Carrera GT or a Ferrari Enzo. Not a overgrown VW.
    Fords suck, Chevys rule, but its Ferrari that makes me drool

Define greatest

This has probably been said on many other threads, define what "greatest" means. If it means acceleration, top speed + HP then it is. It comes to no surprise as this car has 4 turbos, 4WD system, 16 Cyl, 8Litres (I think). I'm interested in whether the next generation of supercars from Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo, Mercs will attempted to "out muscle" this car. Time will tell. My summary of this car: it is bloody ugly. I agree with "prevlingpushrod", I don't care even if it goes 500MPH. I'll take an F430, Enzo or Porsche 911 turbo over this anytime.
    Last edited by capone; 01-16-2006 at 02:32 AM.

I don't know whether this has been posted already, but it is interesting.
    Gordon Murray concludes: Now that the Veyron is here, stop the "crap" and go back to designing nimble and practical sportscars

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I don't know whether this has been posted already, but it is interesting.
    Gordon Murray concludes: Now that the Veyron is here, stop the "crap" and go back to designing nimble and practical sportscars

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....&page_number=1
    I haven't read the Gordon article yet but...

Some of greatest cars of all time were built in pursuit of something more than, nimbleness or practicality. As much as I like nimble sports cars they are not or ever have been the "best" cars. I think the best cars, as in class of cars are Grand Tourers and Ultra Luxury Sedans; the ultimate expression of what an Automobile strives to be.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Ola,

Having picked up the latest issue of CAR (for us in Canada anyway) I'd have to say that I'd love to have an FXX over the Veyron anytime, anyday.

Read Gordon's piece and you'll see why it can't really be the greatest ever. You might say he's bitter, but he definitely has the right idea. VW headhanhos started the project with a design concept and a bold goal of 1000 horsepower and 250mph. And it left the engineers to scratch their collective heads to make it work. It is a great achievement that they've done it, but it certainly is not the most elegant or satisfying solution to the quest that had no real point...

First of all let me say that just because I defend and like the Veyron doesn't mean that I hold it as the Greatest car ever built. No car can really hold such a title unless it's based on certain intangibles...

Ok, I just read Gordon on the Veyron and I'm better informed but don't see how his disapproval takes anything away from the car. He says the McLaren F1 has a better power-to-weight ratio but fails to mention that a Veyron totally destroys the F1 in acceleration runs. He states how the 1,000 hp Veyron is only capable of 12 mph topspeed than the F1 but fails to point out how quickly each gets to V max. There is some positive comments about how the engineering team made it happen but overall I sensed his distinct dislike of the car.

Greatest it may not be but it has through its production and abilities frustrated a lot of secret naysayers, who'd hoped that the Veyron would have ended up a pipe dream or better a compromised promise.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    overall I sensed his distinct dislike of the car.
    inevitable as Murray is an advocate of performance through lightness.

hence the Rocket

He'll NEVER like a solution using excess engineering to overcome excess !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information