Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "fun" what-if ---- what kind of person are you ?

sigh... i would take the car. Im alone and single, so i'd do it.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

I love cars, but a cheaper car will get you around just as well
    Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    ^^^umm, this is a car site, we all know that, but thats not the point of this thread^^^
    Are you sure of that?

I would take "the dream" in another measurable form such as money. Family & gf happy, and I'm rich and happy. Then I would buy a nice car to make me even happier.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by Vindesh17
    ^^^umm, this is a car site, we all know that, but thats not the point of this thread^^^
    Uhh....It absolutely is.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

As far as the 'dream car sacrifice' goes, consider this carefully:

its a lot more fun to put up with a cheap car than to be stuck in a cheap job, while living in the cheap house with that cheap woman

I'm single, I live in an Apartment and I have few commitments. So yeah, I would go for it.

And yes, this is providing money isn't much of an issue, because if I could afford such a vehicle than it wouldn't anyway.

If I had a family to look after, I probably wouldn't go for it; I would find something not quite so outrageous, but still fun enough to keep myself and maybe one passenger entertained. Or depending on the car, I could fit everyone in (Porsche 911 turbo* anyone? I remember riding in the back of a carrera 3.2 when I was 4 and I didn't have any problems ) Seriously, if the wife already has a vehicle that can haul the kids, why the hell would we need a second boredom-mobile?

Vacations? It's called a "Road trip". Hitting the road is more fun than flying some place imo anyway. There's an entire continent surrounding me. The only money I'd need is for gas and food.

* a 930, not a brand new one. A brand new one qualifies as too "outrageous" for me

my uncle has the best wife ever from the age of five all she wanted was a garage with cars she got a plastic one and now a real one including various VERY rare cars

it will relate to what extent others will be dependent on my decision, but I can hardly think of circumstances where I would choose the car
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    I don't have a family right now (well my own anyway) so family plans are pretty much aside

Job opportunity doesn't bother me (unless it's a rally driver - what do I need THIS car for then? ) and hot girlfriend has already been passed on before. The rest if easy.

Get the most expensive car ever, sell it, buy the car of my dreams and tour the world with the remaining cash

I don't know why people are so obsessed with houses. I'd live in a run down shanty/mobile home if I could get any of "those" cars.
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 01-13-2006 at 07:42 AM.

I just love the people who organize stuff like this and make it happen.

They just walk up to a random guy on the street and say

"Hey there lad, I'll give you a choise: You can have any car in the world OR I'll provide you with a nice house, a nice job and a great girl friend, so waddayathink?"

"Ok, one question, why?"
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Well, I'm too young for this kinda stuff...

But I'd leave the car were it is and go for the other things. I mean: if you have a great job you might even get the car. And so what if you don't get your dream car? That's why it's your DREAM car right? You dream about it, you starts shaking the moment you see one...

Trust me, I'm still very young, but I do understand that having a great car isn't everything. No mather how much you like it.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Having a family is all about self-sacrifice, the car, no matter how special would always take a backseat to the wants and needs of the family. In my 10 yrs of marriage I've already sacrificed "cool" cars for "reliable/practical" transportation, so the decision would be easy for me ......at least until the kids are older and could understand a rash decision to satisfy my own selfish gratification.

Give a AM Vanquish for a year and ill stay in a 1BR flat for a year quite happily.
    The Datto will rage again...

OK, guys time to fess-up.

I've been struggling with this one

It was not an entirely ficticious situation - had you guessed that already perhaps

So the "kids" are 18 and 21. The house is paid for. The funds are set aside for the kids University and weddings ( the downside of having girls !! ). Retirement income is guaranteed. Big holiday a year is fundable from income. Do we want for much else ? Not a lot really. Cars for each of the family are already funded and in place. Yes they'd all like newer, better cars .. but so do I

So I was made an offer

The car ?? AN RS200 with a verifiable 2000 miles on the clock. Used only as course opening car on a number of international events. Upgraded to EVO spec engine.

Now it's a LARGE investment in a car, and thus I'm only looking at a short term ownership of a year or so to do some competitive miles in major events. So the "on hold" plans would only be for a short term.

I've decided it's worth investigating further and spent time at the Autosport show talking to RS owners and suppliers to identify costs for the 1-2 year ownership.

Thanks for the many inputs, they aligned with all the things going through my head and so it was no real surprise and at least it didnt' turn up anything I'd not already struggled over.

IF ( and it's still a big if ) it goes ahead you'll be the first to know with an egg-nog test CHeers !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Ah, who am I kidding...I'd choose the car.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Thread Information