Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My review on my Viper.

My review on my Viper.

I have been asked a couple of times here to right a review on my car. Here it is. I realize some of you who love European cars (as do I) and probably won't like some of my review. That’s OK.

My review:

93 Viper RT/10

The GEN I (92-95) Viper is the most fun car I have ever driven. I have driven a Lamborghini Countach, Ferrari 308 and 365 2+2, lots of Corvettes including a C5 Z06, lots of BMWs, etc. All where great cars but none had the performance of my Viper. I will admit the Lambo and the Ferraris felt more special than the Viper but that doesn't make up for there lack of performance (comparatively of course). And although they where all fun there is nothing quite like the Viper. With the torque, handling, gobs of HP, etc. it truly is a treat to drive. Also I really like to track my car and none would be able to keep up. Not to mention it would cost a fortune to maintain the Ferraris and the Lambo especially if you tracked them.

ROAD COURSE
    I have taken my car to two local Road course tracks MAM and HPT several times. It runs incredible. Especially when you adjust the suspension and put some sticky tires on (kumho V700s for me). After those two mods the car sticks like glue with little body roll. In my opinion It is the ultimate street car/Track car.

DRAG STRIP
    On the Drag Strip it runs very well. The Fastest I have run so far (with air intake and exhaust) is 12.5 @ 113. Looking for low 12s in the future.

CAR SHOWS AND JUST DRIVING AROUND
    Everyone gives you the Thumbs up when you have a Viper. Always a hit at the car shows. It's an extremely rare car with only around 5000 made (who knows how many survived).

AUTOCROSS
    Unfortunately the Viper is a little big to Autocross. I Autocrossed it around 12 times with mixed results. On more open tracks it did better while on tighter tracks it was a hard because the Viper is so wide.

It's really not a bad car for around $35,000. I don't think it's the best car ever built and sure If someone wanted to trade me a Ferrari 360 for it I would. But performance wise it's a dam good bang for the buck.

Pros
    Great all-around performance, Rare, Fun to drive, absolute blast on a road course, reliable (in supercar terms), etc.

Cons
    NOT AN EVERYDAY CAR! Plastic slide in windows, leaky top, not very good on tight autocross courses.

Bottom line:
    Can't afford a 6 figure Ferrari or Lamborghini? Try a Viper a very good bang for your buck.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Interesting read.

Sounds like the time you've had with it has been awesome.

You present the Viper in a very realistic light. I have a little more appreciation for it as a result. It's not meant to directly go against the exotics but it provides a unique combination of handling and "muscle", at a price point.

Have you posted pics of your car? If yes, add linky.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Have you posted pics of your car? If yes, add linky.

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ighlight=viper <---- Some pics taken by Nopassn

Nice review, I wish my car had half your car's power/torque!!!

Thank you guys I am glad you liked my review.

Here are some pics. The last pic is of my wedding which I also posted here:

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...ad.php?t=19724
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by early93viper; 01-18-2006 at 12:42 PM.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

Nice honest write-up.

Can concur on the Ferrari for track use front, mate sold his and went back to Porsche with a 911 RS3 after he found out the costs involved in servicing once the little computer told them in the garage what he was actually DOING with the car

How did you find the Viper compared with the 308 on stock rubber/settings ? Had you tried any of the others on track rubbers/stiffers damping ?

ON the Kumhos are you running them on fronts too ? How do you find shoulder wear and outer scrub wear especially on track usage, do they ball-up badly ?
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 01-18-2006 at 01:03 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Nice honest write-up.

Can concur on the Ferrari for track use front, mate sold his and went back to Porsche with a 911 RS3 after he found out the costs involved in servicing once the little computer told them in the garage what he was actually DOING with the car

How did you find the Viper compared with the 308 on stock rubber/settings ? Had you tried any of the others on track rubbers/stiffers damping ?

ON the Kumhos are you running them on fronts too ? How do you find shoulder wear and outer scrub wear especially on track usage, do they ball-up badly ?
    Glad you like it.

The 308 had the shocks adjusted but the tires were not an R rated compound. The 308 was a lot nimbler and handled dam good. I think the 308 would do better in tight autocross courses. But on any race track or an autocross course that wasn't as tight I feel the Viper would take it by far. Even if the 308 was on slicks it would have nothing on the Torque and the HP of the viper. But as far as handling I think the 308 would do better on the tight stuff and the viper would do better on the sweapers.

I am running Kumhos on the front an rear. I love them. They only last 5000 spirted miles and they pick up rocks that spray your paint. But they stick like glue. If performance means a lot I recomend Kumho V700.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

Well I always kinda liked Vipers. They have that special look. I friend of mine is a big fan of Vipers (he has around 30 different 1:18 scale models of it).

As far is I can conclude from your review, it's a fun car to drive but it has some negative points as well. And I also believe you when you say that if you want an affordable 'supercar' a Viper might be your best candidate.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

That hood does not come with the car stock does it? I thought that 92-96ish RT/10s did not have a hood scoop.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    That hood does not come with the car stock does it? I thought that 92-96ish RT/10s did not have a hood scoop.
    Good eye. Yes, it is a GEN II hood. The previous owner put it on. Although I do like it.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

I love it, would you ever consider going to a corvette after your viper experience? Maybe say to a newer Z06 or even going to a newer viper.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    I love it, would you ever consider going to a corvette after your viper experience? Maybe say to a newer Z06 or even going to a newer viper.
    I wouldn't want to say never..........but I don't think I will ever go the corvette route. For one my viper buddies would kill me. And it's just not my style. Don't get me wrong there great cars. But they made 250,000 C5s and they will probably make even more C6s. Compare that to around 5,000 GEN Is or even 20,000 cars made of every year Vipers 92-06 (just about as many 360s where built) and you can see the difference. I just like something different.

I might buy a newer Viper someday. But I really love mine. It has a few things I like better than the other Generations:a stiffer suspention and the engine is less prone to oil starvation. Both help for track days. Although realisticly the GEN II and III are better cars.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)

You are a very lucky man. Awesome ride 8)

a guy around the corner from me has a 2001 Viper and he says he got friends wit lambo's and well same car. there car gets more attention but his is just as good cause you can't use a lambo to full potential esp for the money
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

You're a really lucky man. Keep it well. Cool car!

Thread Information