Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: If a chassis is twisted, can it be repaired?

Light damage at the front, i thought it would be worse. Hmm

Are you sure you can get it for free? Run for it NOW!!!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Is it really a good deal? I don't think it has an engine...
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Not related to Civic, but maybe a portent of things to come

Reportedly, if the aluminium-intense front structure on BMW 5 & 6 series is bent more than 1mm out of shape it cannot be repaired* and has to be cut out and replaced. This skyrockets the cost of repairs so even lightly damaged examples are being declared a total loss

* because then declared no longer insurable, also voids conditional factory warranty

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Not related to Civic, but maybe a portent of things to come

Reportedly, if the aluminium-intense front structure on BMW 5 & 6 series is bent more than 1mm out of shape it cannot be repaired* and has to be cut out and replaced. This skyrockets the cost of repairs so even lightly damaged examples are being declared a total loss

* because then declared no longer insurable, also voids conditional factory warranty

No insurable? Hard to prove the damage ever existed if you don't tell your insurance company.

And the 1mm thing seems a bit exagerated. If that info is correct, than I would never, ever buy a 5 or 6. If that became public noone ever would because damaging the front structure on a relatively small accident is something very easy to happen.

Anything is a good deal if its free. I think the catch is that there will be some legal costs associated (be them taxes or fees). A quick call should be able to answer that question. What about transportation? Is it in the same city as you are?

It must have severe undercarriage damage: i.e box, axles, probably engine gone. But you can still sell the seats, lights, panels, etc through the internet.
    Last edited by magracer; 01-24-2006 at 12:43 PM.
    Zag when they Zig

If it needs an airbag, that probably means that the airbag went off, that is thousands to repair, the chassis/ body repair won't cost nearly as much as that.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    No insurable? Hard to prove the damage ever existed if you don't tell your insurance company.

And the 1mm thing seems a bit exagerated. If that info is correct, than I would never, ever buy a 5 or 6. If that became public noone ever would because damaging the front structure on a relatively small accident is something very easy to happen.
    Well obviously you have to involve your insurance company don't you?

Apparently not exagerated - here mate, see what I found for you. Only 1mm tolerance, and aluminium is unrepairable so must be cut out and replaced. And I too would think twice before owning one, especially considering the effect it would/must have on insurance premiums. I wonder if aluminium Jag XJ8 is similar? This is going to be a growing issue imo, for example how will 'pedestrian friendly' Citroen C6 pop-up bonnet affect repair costs and therefore premiums?

BMW: Tiny Crashes Are A Total Loss

----------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------

Link: http://www.latimes.com/classified/a...ack=1&cset=true

By Ralph Vartabedian, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

If you hear talk about things such as rivets, epoxy adhesives and aluminum structures, you might guess the subject involves airplanes.

But in this case, we are talking about the front ends of recent BMW Series 5 and Series 6 cars, which are constructed with many of the same techniques you might find at the Northrop Grumman F-18 assembly plant in El Segundo.

BMW touts the vehicles for their remarkable handling, fuel economy and elite engineering, but critics of the designs say they are impractical, vulnerable to minor accidents and difficult to repair the way BMW recommends.

The technology is another step in a much broader auto industry trend that is making collision repairs ever more costly, a kinder way of saying manufacturers are building throw-away cars. It means that more cars are totaled when they have relatively modest damage, particularly if they are more than five years old.

Although BMWs can certainly be repaired, it requires a degree of sophistication and cost that may be unprecedented.

BMW will certify auto body technicians only if they are employees of BMW dealerships, using BMW-approved parts, tools, adhesives and rivets. Though independent shops can buy equipment and get training, they are not allowed to say they perform certified repairs, BMW's official seal of approval.

"It is a game," said Don Feeley, owner of three independent body shops in Riverside. "Absolutely, they are shutting auto body shops out of their business."

Of course, BMW does not see it like that.

The BMW system, code named the Grav 60, was introduced in the 2004 model year. It features an aluminum firewall, which separates the engine compartment from the interior, and frame rails that extend forward, all riveted and glued to the rest of the car's steel structure. When the cars come out of the factory they are built to a tolerance of 1 millimeter, about the thickness of a dime.

The entire front structure weighs just 100 pounds, meaning the vehicles have a nearly perfect 50/50 weight distribution between the front and rear wheels, said Jeff Kohut, BMW's paint and body business development manager.

"It handles better," Kohut said. "Go drive a car with a steel nose and you can tell the difference cornering, braking and turning."

But one important question is what happens when your prized BMW gets kissed in the real world. With steel frame cars that are robotically welded at the factory, a body expert can put the car on a rack and bend it back into shape.

Under BMW's guidelines, any bending on the front end is verboten. An accident that deforms the front end by more than 1 millimeter requires the replacement of the main front-end structures. Because the engine, transmission, suspension and body are all connected to those structures, it is a labor-intensive process.

What's more, BMW specifies technicians can use only certain specialized tools, such as rivet extractors and rivet guns. Kenneth Zion, an auto body instructor at El Camino College and an independent collision consultant, says a shop can spend as much as $100,000 to fully outfit itself for BMW repairs. Zion, who has learned the system and will introduce the technology at El Camino, said the new system is unprecedented in how tightly the manufacturer is controlling the repair process.

It is so tight, in fact, that the repair and insurance industries are going a little nuts.

Article continues at link.
    There is a huge amount of complexity to repairing the higher end BMWs for sure..my 645 has Sheet molding compound,plastic,aluminum and steel held together by molecular welds and other bonding processes, and just cant be repaired except at BMW. The M6 I have on order adds some Carbon fibre to the front and back ends and the roof, so repair costs are inded very high.

A buddy of mine was rear ended by an E class in Germany a coupe of weeks ago in his brand new M6. The damage didnt look too bad...(pictures on the M6 Board)but came back at about $35,000...

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/sho...d.php?tt=60003

overall I have to say that the article is not BS..it is a very big ticket item if you do any substantial damage,

Quote Originally Posted by magracer
    Anything is a good deal if its free. I think the catch is that there will be some legal costs associated (be them taxes or fees). A quick call should be able to answer that question. What about transportation? Is it in the same city as you are?

It must have severe undercarriage damage: i.e box, axles, probably engine gone. But you can still sell the seats, lights, panels, etc through the internet.
    Would I get more money then I would have to pay for taxes, fee's and towing?
    The ability for outward expression is dependent on substance...

Just get the car and part it out, it'd be good experience.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by 6speed
    If a chassis is twisted, can it be repaired?
    Yes , it can .

Well obviously you have to involve your insurance company don't you?
    Not always. Imagine this scenerY you bought an M5 yesterday and today you crashed it. You have no "self made damage" insurance cover. Would you, or wouldn't you repair it? You would, and who'd know that? That's my point. Andif you had it covered by the insurance, do you think the company prefers to repair it or give you a new one? And if they repair the damage they can't refuse to insure after.

Apparently not exagerated - here mate, see what I found for you. Only 1mm tolerance, and aluminium is unrepairable so must be cut out and replaced. And I too would think twice before owning one, especially considering the effect it would/must have on insurance premiums. I wonder if aluminium Jag XJ8 is similar? This is going to be a growing issue imo, for example how will 'pedestrian friendly' Citroen C6 pop-up bonnet affect repair costs and therefore premiums?

As you say it can always be cut and replaced.

1mm is a lot in tolerance term though, in imperial unit that's like 40 thousands of an inch, when in making most parts tolerances are calculated in +/- 5 thou or less....Its unlikely that you will get a 40 thou shift in chassis structure in a "minor" collision like a regular fender-bender and such. I'd imagine if it gets shifted by 1mm, the accident will require extensive service anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Not always. Imagine this scenerY you bought an M5 yesterday and today you crashed it. You have no "self made damage" insurance cover. Would you, or wouldn't you repair it? You would, and who'd know that? That's my point. Andif you had it covered by the insurance, do you think the company prefers to repair it or give you a new one? And if they repair the damage they can't refuse to insure after.
    Sorry I cant imagine the scenario of anyone buying a new M5 (worth almost a quarter of a million dollars in Oz) and not having full comprehensive insurance cover - seriously, can you?

Eirher way, insurance companies decide which option is the cheaper - repair, or replacement. And it seems that below-standard repairs void the BMW warranty, so insurers are under obligation to repair to factory standard, using factory methods

As you say it can always be cut and replaced.
    At exhorbitant cost

beamers are brilliant to work on engine wise, or so ive been told. But 1mm is stuff all chassis twistage to play with...

IF the car is free and in your local area, get it on a car trailer, tow it to yours and strip it and sell the bits on ebay or something and then sell the chassis to a metal works. we get $100 for every car shell we can bring in here.
    The Datto will rage again...

Thread Information