Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: A Public Calling: To boost the reputation of users with under 20 reputation points!

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Introducing this "mechanical" system will however mean that people will start worrying about their Misho number before sending a post. If a post will not increase the reputation then it will automatically reduce the Misho number.
    mmmmm, No!! it will INCREASE the Misho number!! ah well, you people can never understand us engineers !!
    i do understand what u mean however. yes, a post that does not increase reputation, will have a negative effect on the Misho ratio. but that change will be very small, it can be considered negligible.
    I'll give you that, calculating is a difficult activity. But what about the range you mentioned, isn't subjectivity creeping in there?

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I'll give you that, calculating is a difficult activity. But what about the range you mentioned, isn't subjectivity creeping in there?
    thank you. as for the range method thing, well i still havent fully developed it yet and i am not sure about how it will work. but yes, it will be kind of subjective. but thats not my personal subjectivity, the factors will be derived from the actual numbers we already have (no. of posts and rep ratings). it will be an empirical system, but that will at least reflect posting quality. (for those who dont know, empirical means non-scientific, rather developed from extensive research and fooling around!).
    we all saw how big fpv_gtho's Misho number is. is that coz he is a bas user ? its mainly due to the enormous number of posts he has. dont forget that the rep system was never fair anyways. new users started with 10, while old users had the previlage of gathering big rating numbers at the same time that other old users, started with zero. we need a solution to put us all on the same field, if the rep system is to be of true relevance.
    to sort of explain what i meant by range factors, then we all need to calculate true Misho numbers. so calculate ur Misho number and then multiply it by the range u belong to. this will produce ur true Misho number.

0-500 posts multiply by 1.00
    501-1000 multiply by 0.85
    1001-1500 multiply by 0.75
    1501-2000 multiply by 0.65
    2001-2500 multiply by 0.55
    2501-3000 multiply by 0.45
    3001-3500 multiply by 0.35

please note that these factors are for explanatory purposes only and do not reflect what we are to use if the system ever gets implemented.

at the end, i will have to say that i never was a fan of the rep system anyways. reputation is earned and we always knew who deserved our respect and who doesn't, even ages before the rep system. i have though of this new system only to help all of those users who are really worried about the rep ratings gain a better, more realistic understanding of "reputation" !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

I long for the days when engineers used to run trains.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    I long for the days when engineers used to run trains.
    LMAO i dont know why, but i find this the funniest thing i EVER read in these forums !!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Misho my man, that was fantastic. Anything I cant understand that much must be proportionally worthy.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    0-500 posts multiply by 1.00
    501-1000 multiply by 0.85
    1001-1500 multiply by 0.75
    1501-2000 multiply by 0.65
    2001-2500 multiply by 0.55
    2501-3000 multiply by 0.45
    3001-3500 multiply by 0.35

so what do i multiply my misho ratio by, 0.25?

i like the idea of the misho ratio with posts/rep points, but i think before doing that, we should put everyone on the same playing field by somehow calculating everyones rep points based on the current 1 point given per 1000 posts and everyone starts off on 10

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    so what do i multiply my misho ratio by, 0.25?

i like the idea of the misho ratio with posts/rep points, but i think before doing that, we should put everyone on the same playing field by somehow calculating everyones rep points based on the current 1 point given per 1000 posts and everyone starts off on 10
    as i said, these factors are only for verification and will not of much value at the moment. we still have to figure the actual values for each range, including the range you are in.
    so i guess 0.30 will do for now, since u seem to like the idea so much !!

yes, you are right in saying that we all have to be on the same field for evaluation. there are a number of ways to do so, one of which is recalculating our rep ratings using standard methodology for all users. but i guess that will be too complicated to do now, hence the modification factors that i mentioned.

anyways, i reckon that the modification range factors are a bit of a complicated issue. but i truly think that the Misho ratio is a good representation of the rep ratings. as mentioned earlier, it shows how many posts it needed that user to obtain 1 rep point.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

The problem wiht the Misho ratio is... if someone wants a high ration, it encourages them to post practically everything that is point-worthy. (As strange as it may sound to heard it from me ) This, natuarally, detracts from the good times we have here when something goes slightly off-topic, or when we aren't talking about cars. Also, people wouldn't even post short messages, even something like "thanks", because they wouldn't get points for it.

All of these reasons seem to me like pretty good arguments against the reputation system itself. Due to the social nature of the board, it's hard to quantify anything like that mathematically... people should be able to establish themselves as a decent user, and they should be recognised for that by everyone else.

The system's flaw is that it tries to put a value on character. And we all know, that can't be done.

well Egg Nog i think you can rest easier, as im all for the idea yet based on the first findings of the misho ratio, that misho presented, im coming off the worst by far!! i've been subconsciously comparing rep points to posts when i look around at everyones rating for a while now, and im sure theres more that have been as well so i dont think it will neccesarily change anything on the site that the rep system hasnt done already

hey fpv_gtho, i guess ur Misho ratio with the modification factor suggested of 0.3, is somewhere near 30. a good comparable value to most others.
    anyways, i'm glad u liked the idea !!!

and egg nog, although ur point is valid and was brought up by henk. the change each post makes is quite small. so i dont think that "thank you" posts are enough to significantly effect ur Misho number.

i'm glad some ppl think its at least interesting, even if not fully understood !!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

A user with 2000 posts cannot be compared to a user with 500 posts. Because he had a bigger opportunity to accumulate positive rep ratings.
    Another advantage of the modified Misho ratio is that allows all users to be comparable to eachother regardless of how many posts they have.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

how many rep points do you need so that when you give some to a user that it will really count
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    how many rep points do you need so that when you give some to a user that it will really count
    you need to have 20 points.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    That's what this thread is about! How could you've missed that? Did you even read the title?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    That's what this thread is about! How could you've missed that? Did you even read the title?
    no i didnt and im not going to blame it on anything
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Thread Information