Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Comp 59 Weekly Automotive Photo Contest

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    If it makes any of you happy (perticularly SPH / Rik), the PEdit competition's rules are going to be a bit more relaxed. I've suddenly understood why editing is needed sometimes, so I'm revising the rules. The only way to settle this is to have two competitions: One disallowing edit like this one so a majority aer happy and one edit-allowed one for the others, including me. Not my fault if anyone thinks it's silly, it's the only way I see.

For those who still don't understand, I've attached a picture of a Cayman S I took recently. Here, have a look at example 1 first, then 2. A lot of times you have to edit your picture because something comes in the way of opportunity. For example, look at the Cayman I've uploaded. On preedit, it was dark, dull, dusty and there was a Nissan Maxima in the background ruining the look. In the edited photo, I've covered the Maxima with the very same wall and made the picture, on a whole, much much brighter.

In the book "The world's greatest hundred photos", I think the 56th photo, was a brilliant picture with a gigantic iceberg, perfect blue underneath and a few penguins here and there, but the sky was strangely a reflection. I read the summary and the photographer was describing why he edited off a very dull and uninspiring sky because it would ruin the look of the amazing iceberg pic he took. I'll try and see if I can find it, but that was just another example.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by spi-ti-tout; 02-03-2006 at 12:59 AM.

does Photoshop remove photo data (its called EXIF for my camera), all the info on shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.? Cause if it does, that'd be an easy way to tell. Just ask for the original file with the intact data

Not all of us photoshop, 2ndclass.

i'm not accusing any of photoshopping spi, i'm just forwarding that as an idea to determine if someone has shopped a photo if there is doubt. I hardly know PS at all, don't have it at home and don't use it

Never accused you of accusing, mate

I was just trying to imply that while PS may be the most common program, there are other edit programs too which are used by people. I hardly know PS / ever use it myself, so you never know, there are other programs which work differently. But however I believe if we follow my suggestion there won't be any need to edit the photos in the normal comp.

Quote Originally Posted by karc
    what kinda stupid rule is that? no editted photos? how can you prove a photo isnt editted anyways? you can make subtle changes and have no idea. are u saying peoples photos have to be of such shitty quality that theres no way it can b editted and we pick the worst looking one? wtf... its not like professional photos arent editted. learn to use photoshop.. its pretty easy.. and change this rule. i havent entered photo comps in months and i still felt this is a dumb enough rule to post about having it changed.
    I don't know wether you were alive or not when photography wasn't a digital affair. On those times, a good pic was only a good pic and that was it. You couldn't edit, and still, competitions existed.

This is the 59th competition! Wake up! Accept the rules or leave the comp.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

There are a lot of things you can do in the dark room to change a picture.

Don't you think things some things should change even tho its the 59th comp? It's getting incredibly boring.

One problem with exif data thing 2ndclass, usually pictures are to big to upload in an unedited state.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    I don't know wether you were alive or not when photography wasn't a digital affair. On those times, a good pic was only a good pic and that was it. You couldn't edit, and still, competitions existed.

This is the 59th competition! Wake up! Accept the rules or leave the comp.

i didnt say you cant take good photos... i said theres no way to prove a photo hasnt been editted to look good. the only way would be to have all crappy photos that no one would bother to edit and pick the best one.... it was a bit of an exageration to make a point that the rule is stupid... and btw i left the comps quite awhile ago.

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    i guarantee nobody on this board is going to go out of their way to effect your real life by contacting people you have done business with, with the intent on getting you in trouble. that is more than anyone can say for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer38
    what are you talking about??
    you know full well what hes talking about, but im not gona start into that again.

In the end if someone just adjusts contrast and other small sh!t no one will ever know, its once you start blurring and stuff when people notice. PS is a new photography tool, I'm just not sure how it fits into this comp.
    Last edited by Titanboy_24; 02-03-2006 at 03:33 PM.

Just incase anyone's still pondering the exif data thing, don't bother.

There's programs that you can use to edit it, so the exif data can tell just as many lies as the image.

does this count? im an SLR noob..
    suzq044
    Street Corner Slow Shutter
    Olympus E300 EVOLT slr
    Photoshop used to crop & level adjust
    Attached Images Attached Images

nice shot, pretty good for an SLR noob How does the E-300 go? I was considering one then went for the *ist DS, cause it was very well recommended and cheaper?

its pretty good.. same stuff a sony SLR has.. 8 megapixel w/ the same lil options.. you just gotta know how to use em [ so far... i likey ]

Quote Originally Posted by karc
    what kinda stupid rule is that? no editted photos? how can you prove a photo isnt editted anyways? you can make subtle changes and have no idea. are u saying peoples photos have to be of such shitty quality that theres no way it can b editted and we pick the worst looking one? wtf... its not like professional photos arent editted. learn to use photoshop.. its pretty easy.. and change this rule. i havent entered photo comps in months and i still felt this is a dumb enough rule to post about having it changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Speedracer38
    dude take the stick out of your ass Oh no my picture was edited the world is over!! Want me to go look in old competitions for pictures you edited in PS and no one noticed?? You have done it to.....in fact all your pictures are edited in PS so STFU.
    Cry. You guys do understand that photoshop is a $600+ program, and not everyone downloads things illegally or has the funding to buy the program. Submit your picture according to the damn rules, and don't cheat your way through it. Everyone else submits (or is supposed) unedited photos, and by you editing the pic, gives you an unfair advantage. It's like running for President w/ 1,000,000 votes guaranteed your way. I'll let the picture do the talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    Cry. You guys do understand that photoshop is a $600+ program, and not everyone downloads things illegally or has the funding to buy the program. Submit your picture according to the damn rules, and don't cheat your way through it. Everyone else submits (or is supposed) unedited photos, and by you editing the pic, gives you an unfair advantage. It's like running for President w/ 1,000,000 votes guaranteed your way. I'll let the picture do the talking.

ok well photoshop is just used as a common word for "image editor program" most people are talking about using photoshop... but you could also use many cheaper and free programs to touch up images....

btw i havent broken the rules.. im just arguing for a change in them.

Thread Information