Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chrysler 300C V6

Chrysler 300C V6

http://drive.com.au/editorial/articl...f=7&bg=24&pp=3

Stars and stripes

For: Strong, brave and individual styling, unquestionable value, quiet.

Against: Poor initial throttle response, weighty, space-saver spare tyre.

Rating: 4 stars (see ratings key below).

Every now and again a car comes along that knocks accepted perception off balance. There's originality that makes you sit up and take notice.

advertisement

advertisement
    The Chrysler 300C is like that. With our love for large cars in this country, a rear-wheel-drive sedan priced competitively against the luxury Commodores and Falcons has real resonance.

Sure, Toyota and Mitsubishi have thrown Camrys, Avalons, Magnas and 380s at Ford and Holden, but affordable large cars that push rather than pull are rare commodities.

The 300C's mechanical layout is familiar and even draws some important components from the superseded W210 Mercedes-Benz E-Class, but its brash, bold looks are a striking counterpoint. Ford and Holden chase a conservative Euro-chic style for Falcon and Commodore, but the 300C proves there's more than one way to cloak a drivetrain.

This is Yew Ess Of Ay in all its gaudy glory - even if the test car, like all right-hand-drive 300Cs, is built in Austria. There's the squared-off body with its long, narrow windows, that huge chromed lattice grille, 18-inch wheels and plenty of attitude. If Ford and Holden are trying to make larger look smaller, the Chrysler shouts "super-size me!"

Plenty of people seem to see and hear the message. In our week with the 300C, it drew more traffic-light stares and car-park admiration than anything we can recall.

Maybe some people thought it was the Chrysler 5.7-litre Hemi V8 hiding under that long, straight hood, but most wouldn't have realised or cared that this was the entry-level 300C 3.5-litre V6, $6000 cheaper than the Hemi at $53,990, mainly because the engine drops 2.2-litres and two cylinders.

The V6 300C still provides more than adequate performance, albeit not in the same league as the V8. This twin-cam, 24-valve design produces 183 kW and 340 Nm, making it competitive with the local sixes. A claimed 0-100 km/h acceleration time of 9.2 seconds isn't earth-shattering; nor is the claimed 11.0 L /100 km fuel consumption average on unleaded. But the engine and the five-speed auto are hauling a 1782 kg kerb weight (101 kg less than the V8) and a bluff shape.

On the road, the engine feels stronger than the performance figures suggest, primarily because it loves to rev and delivers its best beyond 4000 rpm - which might help explain our fuel figure return of 13.0 L/100 km. The engine never loses its composure, just generating a distinct V6 bark as it goes higher in the range. It mates well to the auto, and the "tipshift" function is user-friendly but overriding, changing up and down for you. The auto also was a little hesitant to kick down - perhaps that's a fuel-saving tactic, or maybe the consequence of an annoyingly woolly electronic throttle action.

Nothing indirect about the dynamics, though. They belie the traditional "yank tank" tag. Steering is light, accurate and offers feel, and the car handles with impressive competence. The ride isn't completely happy on our scabrous roads, and you can feel the weight shifting lumpily when hurrying through corners, but there is a calmness to this car that does inspire confidence.

At least some of that can be ascribed to the cabin's impressive quietness. There is a skerrick of wind noise and a hint of tyre bump-thump, but the luxury-car insulation outdoes either Commodore or Falcon.

There are other reasons to enjoy the cabin. The equipment level is particularly impressive. If reach adjustment for the steering and the Boston audio system with six-CD in-dash stacker came standard, there wouldn't be much to complain about, apart from the space-saver spare tyre.

The 300C's high window sill line means the cabin can look tighter than what it turns out to be once inside. There are some visibility restrictions that make the standard rear parking sensors helpful - an 11.8 m turning circle is another reason.

Two adult passengers will find adequate space for comfort in the rear, but the fifth passenger definitely draws the short straw, because of that high transmission tunnel.

The seats are big and plush and there has been an obvious and determined effort by Chrysler to improve dashboard presentation and quality. The cream dials, four-spoke steering wheel and lashings of matt and shiny faux-chrome stayed satisfyingly true to the car's extrovert exterior.

Which, when you distil it down, is this car's key unique attribute. There's nothing the 300C - V6 or V8 - sells against that can match it for sheer bravado and ostentation.

It is a striking and original rival for the locally built iron from Ford and Holden, and well worth considering.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What's it got?

Dual-zone climate control; cruise control; trip computer; Xenon headlights; front and rear fog lights; leather trim; heated and powered front seats; rear park assist; remote central locking; alarm; single-CD audio; alloy wheels.

What's missing?

Reach-adjustable steering; full-size spare tyre; six-CD audio.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nuts 'n' bolts - Chrysler 300C V6

How much: $53,990 (auto), plus options and costs.

Insurance: $1564 (RACV, 40-year-old rating-one male, medium-risk suburb, $450 excess).

Warranty: 3 years/100,000 km.

Engine: 3.5-litre, DOHC, 24-valve, V6, 183 kW at 6400 rpm, 340 Nm at 3800 rpm.

Transmission: Five-speed auto with semi-manual mode, rear-wheel-drive.

Steering: Rack-and-pinion power steering, 2.75 turns lock to lock. Turning circle 11.8 m.

Brakes: Ventilated discs, ABS with BAS.

Suspension: Front: Independent by unequal-length double wishbones, gas dampers, coil springs, stabiliser bar. Rear: Independent by multi-link, gas dampers, coil springs, stabiliser bar.

Wheels/Tyres: 18 x 7.5-alloy wheels, tyres 225/60.Space-saver spare.

How heavy? 1782 kg.

How thirsty? 11.0 L/100 km, unleaded, 68 L tank.

Emissions rating: 3 stars, GreenVehicleGuide.

Safety equipment: Dual front airbags; side curtain airbags; ABS with BAS; traction control; stability control; five lap-sash seatbelts; height-adjustable front headrests; height-adjustable front seatbelts with pretensioners and load limiters.

Crash rating: 5 stars (out of five), NHTSA front and side impact rating; 4 stars, NHTSA roll-over rating.

Competitors

Ford Fairmont Ghia

Price: $52,860
    Excellent drivetrain and dynamics.
    Rating: 4 stars

Holden Calais

Price: $53,290
    New Alloytec V6 engine is noisy.
    Rating: 3 stars

Prices and details correct at publication

Ratings

5 stars: Dream wheels
    4 stars: Recommended
    3 stars: On the ball
    2 stars: Just transport
    1 star: Very ordinary

This can give some people a idea into what holden might have in fuel consumption with the VE, Similar power torque weight maybe?
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

The car looks niice in the metal...i keep seeing a black one in my area...i think its the hemi though...me drewls

The interior cant match the fairmont

and no reach adjust steering wheel...thats a problem
    ¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

I have seen 2 black ones and a silver one, I really can't warm to it i was up close with them and i just can't warm to them I'm sorry.

i have driven one on a test day it is just amaizing, i have driven merc e-classes and audi a6 but de 300 was the best its just so itimidaing for the other cars on the road so everybody went out of the way when i came a long and the interior may not be al that great but when you drive it its make's up for it.

But the big question is.. Did you turn corners?

Just btw, your title is incorrect, because only the V8 models get the "C" badge, all the 6's are just 300's
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

yes i went around corners maybe not as fast as a ferrari but it is bilt for the european markt and on a european platform so it is one good car that we maybe are going to by that wil be maybe next year and wil be the stationwagon version . in black of cours the best couler for it

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    Just btw, your title is incorrect, because only the V8 models get the "C" badge, all the 6's are just 300's
    Nope your correction is incorrect because according to our factory website the V8 and V6 are both called 300C

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Nope your correction is incorrect because according to our factory website the V8 and V6 are both called 300C
    BAHAHAHA!

Its such a pimp car.

we're goin to see blinged 300Cs within a matter of months i gauruntee it.
    The Datto will rage again...

thats funny, where i live their is a taxi cab the exact same, and i think its super cool
    Enzo Ferrari Quotes: "Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines!"

Now we just need the 300C Diesel and they'll make a killing over here...

Quote Originally Posted by eros
    yes i went around corners maybe not as fast as a ferrari but it is bilt for the european markt and on a european platform so it is one good car that we maybe are going to by that wil be maybe next year and wil be the stationwagon version . in black of cours the best couler for it
    There a show car really like the Americans like them all show and no go
    MTV Pimp my ride
    Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    Different country's different titles

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    There a show car really like the Americans like them all show and no go
    have you driven one?

A 300C? ive ridden in one, its not a go car at all but then neither is a Ford G220 falcon or Holden Caprice. Its not ment to be a "go" car.

But it IS defintely lairy.
    The Datto will rage again...

I've driven one, a silver 300C, its not as refined as its E-class platform may lead you to believe but the Hemi makes it worth it.
    2011 Honda Civic Si

ATHEIST and damn proud of it.

Thread Information