Thread: Brits Cry Foul Over Chinese Car Clones

Brits Cry Foul Over Chinese Car Clones

A Hongqi (Red Flag) HQD sedan is displayed during the Fourth China Chungchun International Auto Fair held in the capital city of northeast China's Jilin Province August 14, 2005. China's First Automobile Works (FAW) Group Company was making efforts to forge a luxurious limousine image of Hongqi.

“Chinese technicians have become so skilled at reverse engineering that their western counterparts have to look closely to tell the difference. This could be good news for consumers, bringing the prospect of half-price vehicles. But it’s bad news for the car companies that have invested time and money establishing brands only to see them duplicated.”

General Motors has been one of the worst victims, as evidenced by what the Times describes as an “attack of the clones,” when China’s Chery Automobile simply ran blueprints for the Chevrolet Matiz through a photocopier to come up with its QQ. A Matiz door can fit on a QQ and a QQ bonnet fits on the Matiz, a GM spokesman said.

“The Hongqi (Red Flag) HQD, a cheap rip-off of the Rolls-Royce Phantom, was unveiled at the Chinese motor show last August. Although only a concept car, a production model is predicted to cost about 130,000, compared with 216,950 for the Phantom.” Other copycats include the Shuanghuan Laibao SRV, which appears to be a recycled version of the Honda CR-V, but at less than half the cost of the Japanese original. Its badge is startling like Audi, minus two of the German brands rings.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

it's good these guys are starting to get some flak they shouldn't be able to take the automotive market over just like that. they have to prove themselves and so far aren't doing to good

My brother in law who is an automotive trade school teacher was offered a 12 month position in China teaching their teachers. They are going to do this all and more and no one will stop them. We will soon enough be buying many existing US/Euro/Japanese marques with “made in China” stickers on them. It has been foreseen.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

lol stop be racist to china!!!!!!! >( the chinese brands aren't too bad and they're only probably doing that cuz it's China that makes almost all the 1:64-1:5 diecasts that we see today........the original hongqi built in 1958 was build totally by FAW(i think) but some of the modern ones are modified Audi 100's, although they're are slight differences.
    I am the Stig

Ferrari Constructors Champions 2007

why should the Brits cry foul? The phantom is a German car, (and it shows).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

this car was shown about a year and a half ago

imo not many europeans will buy chinese cars even if they'll be so cheap; recently on of them was sent on a crash test - and it is the first car in the history that obtained ZERO
    12 cylinders or walk!

I think they're really pathetic. The Asians I mean...
    Just ripping off cars like that.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING
    I think they're really pathetic. The Asians I mean...
    Just ripping off cars like that.
    I almost thought you found the Phantom pathetic, and in that case I would have fully agreed with you. Of course it is extremely pathetic to ripp off a pathetic car too....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by dydzi
    this car was shown about a year and a half ago

imo not many europeans will buy chinese cars even if they'll be so cheap; recently on of them was sent on a crash test - and it is the first car in the history that obtained ZERO
    didnt the Chrysler Grand Voyager get zero in one incarnation, then 1 in the next?

That car would hit a bump, And then the rear wheels would hit that same bump when the front is in the next post code
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information