Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police chief hits out at Clarkson

Police chief hits out at Clarkson

Who'd have thought it? Our Jeremy being accused of focusing too much on fast cars.

It's outrageous. Well, it is if you're Scotland's most senior traffic policeman, John Vine, the Chief Constable of Tayside Police and road policing supremo for the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland.

Mr Vine says of JC's TV show: "It encourages people to break the law. I don't think it's helpful; the over-emphasis on speed and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."

The BBC replied: "Top Gear has very stringent safety guidelines with regard to the speed with which we test drive any vehicle. We observe these scrupulously, including adhering to speed limits, and none of our presenters advocate or encourage dangerous driving."

We'd have asked Jeremy for his thoughts, but he was too busy watching his speed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

from top gear again then?
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by S4AWX
    Who'd have thought it? Our Jeremy being accused of focusing too much on fast cars.

It's outrageous. Well, it is if you're Scotland's most senior traffic policeman, John Vine, the Chief Constable of Tayside Police and road policing supremo for the Association of Chief Police Officers Scotland.

Mr Vine says of JC's TV show: "It encourages people to break the law. I don't think it's helpful; the over-emphasis on speed and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."
    I cant do anything else as to agree He makes speeding look like a "cool"and "manly" thing to do. Those speed limits werent made for nothing !!!

Same idea as to children watching horror/action movies with a lot of violence in it.

no ones making them do it though its there own conscious decision to go out and do something stupid, not something that a tv show HAS MADE them do because they watched it and thought it was 'cool'

same with violent video games and films no where in the film / game does it tell little kids to go and do the things, they made the decision to doit
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Lol, my mate Steve thinks Clarkson is god, he is going to write to this bloke now and complain.

TBH i see this as a kind of political correctness gone weird, all he encourages is driveing fast on tracks, autobahns and the Isle of Man where it is legal in all cases, and as for expensive cars, what is the problem, we can all dream, and like to be informed in them.

This sort of fast driving is not bad, in fact it is good and should be encouraged, car control is usually increased by doing it safely and you can learn stuff like wet driving and slide control, all of which may be applicable at low speed extreme condition occasions.

What is the problem is chav drivers going far too fast around built up areas with stupidly loud exhausts (with engines that dont match btw) this creates an annoyance and is far more dangerous IMO

I also agree with Mustang

If you don't like fast, expensive cars then don't watch Top Gear. Why is that so difficult?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    If you don't like fast, expensive cars then don't watch Top Gear. Why is that so difficult?
    Precisely, Cheers, as i say its PC gone wrong

Quote Originally Posted by bennywidag
    its PC gone wrong
    otherwise known as apple mac :P
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottish cop
    ".. and the focus on the kind of cars which the vast majority of us cannot afford."
    There should be a law against it!

Still trying to think of a reason why this wowser thinks it unacceptable to portray prohibitively-expensive consumer products

He's a Chief Constable in a remote outpost of Scotland.
    Desperately trygin to get himself some public attention.
    His favourite sheep must have refused him last night
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If people want a review on a family car etc, buy the mag.

Theres no reson to make Top Gear boring with shitty grandma shoppin karts.
    "It feels loud, fast and scary. It feels like someone has torn off your arm and is beating you to death with the soggy end." Clarkson talking about a TVR.

They could think it in another way. That guy said that most people cant afford the cars, well if they could afford them they wouldnt have to watch tg and could drive in them themselves. Topgear is a good show for people who want to see what a car/supercar really can do. Most other car tv shows they just drive 300 meters trough town and then go look at how big the luggage space is and in how many ways you can fold the backseats etc. etc.(all boring stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by S4AWX

The BBC replied: "Top Gear has very stringent safety guidelines with regard to the speed with which we test drive any vehicle. We observe these scrupulously, including adhering to speed limits, and none of our presenters advocate or encourage dangerous driving."

We'd have asked Jeremy for his thoughts, but he was too busy watching his speed.
    just because it has fast cars doesn't mean that you should drive at max speed everyday.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    He's a Chief Constable in a remote outpost of Scotland.
    Desperately trygin to get himself some public attention.
    His favourite sheep must have refused him last night
    you seem happy today, obviously you were kept entertained enough by yours last night
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    you seem happy today, obviously you were kept entertained enough by yours last night
    You leave ma wee bonnie Cheviot oot oh this !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information