Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Bet Classic You've Seen Lately

during driving lessons i spotted a nice capri this morning. is that "lately" i spot a manta,alfasud,chevy bel-air,mehari and some others at an almost daily basis by the way

For Nota, The Ozman: Do you have by any chance a picture of this magnificent Lagonda?

Would be greatly obliged.

D'Artois

D'ARTOIS I'd help if I could

Yes I took pics of the Lagonda but not digital, and alas I don't have a scanner. When I do get one I'll try to remember your request, but mate don't hold your breath

In lieu of pics a brief description
    Massive black sedan quite similar in style to a Jaguar Mk V but much, much bigger, wider and low-slung, less 'upright' and more broad. Very long bonnet and wheelbase, sweeping guards, huge diameter wheels, trumpet horns and six-wheel-equip. Looked like it had been in storage for decades, very complete and original, no rust or dents but paint was cracked and faded. Fairly worn interior in 'sporting style' with front bucket seats, possibly a discrete divider (sorry, can't recall) but definately no partition

Saw it at a Classic show in Canberra (Oz's capital city) and judging by location and vehicle stature I wouldn't be surprised if it might have originally been a Federal Govt car (eg: Prime Minister or Governor General) or perhaps a foreign Embassy vehicle. It was for sale, no price displayed. From a distance I later saw it moving through the display oval under its own steam, no smoke

Even in its current cosmetically-tatty condition, it really stood out to my eye. Absolutely had that 'Wow!' factor and all the cliches applied: imposing, graceful, exotic, special

Surpisingly for me it wasn't a car that attended the Historics race over the weekend, but rather a Mercedes-Benz 540K, the thing was absolutely gorgeous, quite large but not overly so, and it just had a certain presence.

Mercedes-Benz 540 K Cabriolet B 1937
    Ranked as one of the most luxurious cars of its day. It weighs 3 ton, has a 5.4 ltr engine, RHD, which is very rare, and is capable of speeds up to 160 kph.

A point of intrigue and interest is that it was owned by Von Rubentropp, Ambassador to London prior to the outbreak of World War II.

It was fully restored in USA after which it was the Class Winner 1925-1930 Pebble Beach Concourse d'Elegance in USA 1989.

Estimated to be valued at $2M - $3M AUS.

A couple of weeks ago i saw a Porsche Spyder
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

Thread Information