Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cellphones

Cellphones

Hi

I would like a general opinion here . If you have a cell phone kit fitted in your car is it basically the same as chatting to a passenger . Or is this another accident just waiting for a place to happen.

My allegiance would be with the kit , every car should have one.

Zam
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing....

The only difference between having a kit fitted and not having one fitted seems to be that with a kit you have both hands on the wheel, otherwise it's the same as chatting with a passenger as far as I can see. If they completely banned the use of mobiles in cars, they may as well ban passengers as well...
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by ZerK
    The only difference between having a kit fitted and not having one fitted seems to be that with a kit you have both hands on the wheel, otherwise it's the same as chatting with a passenger as far as I can see. If they completely banned the use of mobiles in cars, they may as well ban passengers as well...
    One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
    This isn't possible on a phone and the other person may continue to feed information to the driver and this splits his/her attention - no matter how hard they try to 'ignore' the phone
    Sound plausible, but there's so little real research on this area that it all gets caught up in scare-mongering.
    For me a person lighting a cifarette while driving is infinitely MORE dangerous than talking on the phone. At least you don't take your eyes of the road while speaking !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

wrong number

the use of cellphones , or as they r called mobile phones here in dubai, unless with a kit. even so most people still drive with holding the phone with one hand or holding it between their head & shoulder to keep both their hands on the wheel. my dad has a kit which includes the phone holder & a small ear phone which i think is necessary in every car. the earphone has a button on the wire to accept incoming calls & not disturb the driver.
    talking thru a cellphone is very different than talking to a passenger. ive seen my dad talk on the phone while driving & talk to my mom. the use of cellphones is necessary, obligatory or just unnecessary depending on the situation.

Any mobile phone will distract the attention of the driver. In Holland only the use of handsfree kits is allowed, and when your caught with a phone in your hand you have to hand over 138 Euro.
    My experience with drivers talking on the phone during driving is that they loose concentration, slow down unnecessarily and forget about the outside world. This observation is also valid for people using a kit. There is every reason to prohibit using any phone during driving.
    Matra's point that a passenger is also involved in the riding process and can refrain from talking if the situation demands so, is correct. Banning passengers could also be useful sometimes, as they tend to interfere (my wife for example). Matra's point on lighting a cigarette is also correct as might be the case for changing a CD or trying to adjust the radio. I think watching the navaid falls under the same category.
    In short, driving in dense traffic requires full attention of the driver, and anything that reduces this attention should be considered with great concern.
    For those interested, yes I have a cell phone, and when I have to make a call when in the car, I'll park first. Furthermore I don't smoke, have no navaid and listen to one radio station only.

[QUOTE=Matra et Alpine]One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
    [QUOTE]

good point. i totally agree with the fact that a human companion could actually alter his conversation based on the driving conditions he also sees.
    although not all poeple belong in that category !!
    i also find that when talking to passenger you can concentrate more on the road then when on a cell phone, even though it might be the same conversation. even better, with a passenger you can always threaten to kick them out of the car if they don't shut up !!

wanted to give u +1 but i was caught by the rep police as they seem to be called. isnt it time we get rid of this spreading rep around rule ?!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    One I've heard put forward is that when talking with a passenger IN the car they are aware of the surroundings and the drivers concentration. So if things are happening outside the car or needing the driver to focus, the passenger can see this and will delay talking until the 'danger' is passed.
    This isn't possible on a phone and the other person may continue to feed information to the driver and this splits his/her attention - no matter how hard they try to 'ignore' the phone
    Sound plausible, but there's so little real research on this area that it all gets caught up in scare-mongering.
    For me a person lighting a cifarette while driving is infinitely MORE dangerous than talking on the phone. At least you don't take your eyes of the road while speaking !!

you should try rolling a cigarett whilst trying to drive with your knee's, its something my dad's tried heaps and hasnt crashed yet
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    you should try rolling a cigarett whilst trying to drive with your knee's, its something my dad's tried heaps and hasnt crashed yet
    May be he is destined to die from the cigaret and not from a car crash??

well he managed to quit smoking but driving with his knees is just something he does. his driving style though is something that could get someone killed
    I am the Stig

well he managed to quit smoking but driving with his knees is just something he does. his driving style though is something that could get someone killed
    get your father to read your posts

I have to say , that although i love the car kit if i have to dial while driving it gets a bit hairy. Drinking coffee while driving is another little crime i also tend to engage in. Doing both now thats a nasty turn of events !!!
    All it takes for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing....

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    get your father to read your posts

lol i dont have a deathwish, if you know what i mean
    I am the Stig

lol i dont have a deathwish, if you know what i mean
    I suppose he is stronger than you.

he's got about 30 years of being a boilermaker in his favour so yeah i guess with the fact hes still taller than me i think i'd come off second best against him
    I am the Stig

he's got about 30 years of being a boilermaker in his favour so yeah i guess with the fact hes still taller than me i think i'd come off second best against him
    do you still have time to catch up?

Thread Information