Thread: NEWS!! ferrari crash!

NEWS!! ferrari crash!

Ferrari Owner Had Other 'Crash'
    Stefan Eriksson, whose $1-million car was totaled in Malibu, had been a top executive of a video game system maker that flamed out.
    By Richard Winton and David Pierson, Times Staff Writers
    February 23 2006

Stefan Eriksson had hoped that millions of video gamers would experience the thrill of street racing on a hand-held device he helped develop. But then Eriksson's $1-million Ferrari was totaled, an accident that gamers around the world may see as a cruel metaphor for the collapse of the portable console company.

Eriksson was a top executive for Gizmondo, a European video game system maker that two years ago garnered international headlines by challenging Sony and Nintendo with its own PSP-like device.

ADVERTISEMENT
    Eriksson received a $100,000 car allowance from the firm, according to records from the Securities and Exchange Commission, and drove in Le Mans, the famous French motor race, in a Ferrari plastered with Gizmondo signs.

The game company launched last year with a gala in London that included a performance by the pop star Sting. One of the firm's games, Chicane, involved exotic car racing.

But on the eve of Gizmondo's U.S. launch last fall, Eriksson resigned from the firm while in Los Angeles to market the device. His resignation came days before a Swedish newspaper alleged that Eriksson had been convicted of counterfeiting in the Scandinavian country in the early 1990s.

The company quickly collapsed, unable to sell enough devices to justify to game makers that they should supply more titles for the Gizmondo format. Loans could not be repaid, and the company incurred net losses exceeding $100 million, according to the SEC records.

The company's name is now a synonym for hubris in the game world, which was enrapt Wednesday with the news that Eriksson's lavish Italian sports car had been wrecked.

"The Gizmondo was bad enough but now this?" wrote one reader on the electronic game website gamespot.com.

"And you wonder why they went bankrupt," another gamer wrote.

Eriksson, 44, declined to be interviewed Wednesday, according to a security officer posted in front of his gated Bel-Air mansion.

But he had told authorities that he was a passenger in the car driven by a mysterious German man whom he knew only as Dietrich when the Ferrari Enzo lost control and crashed Tuesday on Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu. He said Dietrich fled on foot up a canyon and disappeared.

But detectives are skeptical of that explanation and said Wednesday that they were going to re-interview Eriksson. Witnesses told detectives the Ferrari was drag racing with a Mercedes-Benz SLR.

"His story has inconsistencies that need to be cleared up," Sheriff's Sgt. Phillip Brooks said.

The investigation has also centered on exactly how the Enzo got into the United States and how Eriksson came to possess it, Brooks said.

"We have quite a few new leads on that," Brooks said, but he declined to elaborate.

The crash occurred about 6 a.m. west of Decker Road when the Ferrari, traveling at 120 mph in the northbound lane, crested a hill and slammed into a power pole.

The car split in two, sending the engine flying and creating a 1,200-foot trail of debris, sheriff's deputies said.

The power pole was snapped about halfway up and suspended by power lines like a half-chopped corn stalk.

The Enzo is one of the most exclusive cars in the world, with only 400 ever made. Eriksson, who suffered only a bloody face and was seen walking about after the crash, was probably saved by the car's tough carbon composite compartment and seat that were designed to keep occupants in place. The compartment is also designed to absorb the impact of a crash to protect the occupants.

The accident comes amid a tough period for Gizmondo. This fall, a court in London ordered its parent company, the Jacksonville, Fla.-based Tiger Telematics, to liquidate its assets in Europe. Calls to Tiger Telematics were not returned.

How many times has this been posted?
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

this may well be the 3rd of 4th time now

I love news. I might post this myself in a day or two, just for the hell of it.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Pando
    I love news. I might post this myself in a day or two, just for the hell of it.
    not if i do it first! or myabe together!

John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    not if i do it first!
    ESPECIALLY if you do it first.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    ahhhh too bad machine is spelt wrong, tis a shame
    UCP's NO. 1 Source for Enzo & 69 Camaro pic's

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    Nah, the Doc has never been able to pronounce his C's When Homer Simpson says Doh, he's actually taking the piss out of the Doc after a previous adventure they went on involving Ancient Greece and a pair of bananas.

Quote Originally Posted by werty
    lol I didnt even notice, I found it like that
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Oo - Repostage ;-\
    All bowlers need a 'Hammond Step-up'

"Do you think we'll actually find a communist Car that we actually like?" - James May

Thread Information