Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: New Layout

Quote Originally Posted by Wouter Melissen
    What might help is limit the avatar height to 75 pixels to make the box smaller, but that might not be well received by you guys.
    Why hang on to the horizontal layout ? And in trying to do that REDUCE anotehr feature ????
    Making a box smaller doesn't make any difference to the eye scanning.
    Them's Human Factor truths. I think the layouts may be getting evaluated on how much space they take up and not how easy and quickly it can be read. THERE is a difference. Bigger can sometimes be better

Combining the colour changes with the vertical layout would retain the speed-reading capability of the former with the "new look" you wanted.

I'm a technical manager so I tend to present and ask it from a technical perspecive and not just "personal". There are documented reasons to fix some of these things. I've not yet seen a reasonable reason for keeping all horizontal.

One of the other problems I've identified via introspection is that the header box being the same colour as the quote box sometimes leads the quick reader to NTO "see" the quotation. A few times now I've had to go back up to read the quote and then re=-reard the post to get in context. This wasn't an apparnet positive in the vertical layout until I've analysed the reading patterns on this layout. Would a different colour/shade allow the eye to return to scannign faster I'm not sure, it woudl need evaluated and appraised using proper techniques.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by derekthetree
    i demand more censorship and hyprocrisy (especially from leading members of the community)
    And more lying.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    I'm a technical manager so I tend to present and ask it from a technical perspecive and not just "personal".
    One of the better things in live is that is is not totally controlled by engineers and technicians
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Why hang on to the horizontal layout ? And in trying to do that REDUCE anotehr feature ????
    This layout is here to stay so that question is no longer relevant.
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

This discussion has been taking so long that even the thread name is starting to lose sense. NEW layout? It's almost becoming old already, and we're still discussing it.

The 154 posts of this thread are more than enough to get used to the layout.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Making a box smaller doesn't make any difference to the eye scanning...

One of the other problems I've identified via introspection is that the header box being the same colour as the quote box sometimes leads the quick reader to NTO "see" the quotation. A few times now I've had to go back up to read the quote and then re=-reard the post to get in context. This wasn't an apparnet positive in the vertical layout until I've analysed the reading patterns on this layout. Would a different colour/shade allow the eye to return to scannign faster I'm not sure, it woudl need evaluated and appraised using proper techniques.
    The header color and quote box colors should be different and as CoventrySucks suggested a different color for sig text... If the sigs were a lighter Grey, they'd be more easily identified as not being part of the post. Too many different colors might give a look which detracts from the overall feel, so maybe, just the line that separates the post from the sig can be extended the full width.

The entire header box in Dark Blue (color of current partition), lettered in a White(ish) color would solve the problem of it matching the quote boxes and be easier to ignore as the dark partitions will not cause the eye to scan for information.

Again, not to keep chiming in about the same thing, yet again. Just that I felt Egg's post demanded it...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Guest Guest
    the sigs colour have changed! although i think they could do with being darker so that they would be more easily readable

Light Gray was harder to read but it nicely put the sig in its less important position...

How is this colour?
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

@:45 it's back to Black. The Grays were my faves...

Made some more changes now.

(Ted Joans)

Guest Guest
    How is this colour?
    the original was hard to read, but this new gray is perfect!

How is this colour?
    Don't know. I had started running it without sigs and avatars

Which just last night brought the downside of how some users are now possibly running the forum.

pulled up the bathurst vid thread to let mate see it. His immediate comment on the forum was "that's really boring".

So beware, switching it off isn't going to be good for those who view over shoulders to invite them to join in. I switched it back on again to show him it COULD be avatars and sigs if he wanted ... next comment ? "Why's it like that?" ( we share common forums on kits cars and rallying -- having checked UCP is the ONLY one running this layout -- that doesn't mean good or bad, just different ..... which can be bad ) I'm afraid I coudl only say "coz that's what the owner wants".

Good luck with it Wouter. My last words on it are it has basic usability faults, they are recorded for you to use or not. End-of

PS: Downside I've realised is if anyone dicks about with a "bad" avatar or comments in sigs I won't be able to see We'll need to make sure enough mods keep the options on
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-15-2006 at 10:22 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    This discussion has been taking so long that even the thread name is starting to lose sense. NEW layout? It's almost becoming old already, and we're still discussing it.

The 154 posts of this thread are more than enough to get used to the layout.
    So TRUE!!

I have allready gotten used to the horizontal layout. though. I guess some of you are a litle slower on adapting to change, like that Matra et Alpine Person
    But making the sigs lighter Makes post MUCH easier to read...thanks wouter.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

Quote Originally Posted by ZeTurbo
    like that Matra et Alpine Person
    User interfaces are my profession I established the first European Human Factors design lab in Hewlett Packard and was involved in the setting up of the Scottish Human Computer Interaction Centre ( which sadly folded after 5 years due ti lack of industry support )
    I can "test" a UI and isolate personal preference from sexy looks and efficient information.
    It's why I've "tried" advising.
    Sexy only lasts so long in any UI and the small things then start to annoy. By then it's getting too late to change again. The downfall of many an application "upgrade"
    But by now it's all water under the bridge, the die is cast..... removing avatars and sigs works reasonably OK, Now only the damn clash with quotes and headers.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-15-2006 at 05:30 PM.

Thread Information