Page 6 of 45 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: The PC Discussion Thread

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Man, NC, you have a WAY-biased opinion on ricers dont' you
    and not on over-clockers
    it's OK, it's called "gang mentality"
    I hate ricers because they tend to show-off their "skillz" and their disturbing visual "enhancements" on public roads. I also hate those with expensive cars who also show off their speed in public and cause accidents. Overclocking is a hobby, it doesn't affect others. I'm never biased on these two subjects. If you don't like it, then don't continuously complain about it. It's our computers, not yours. I don't mind what those ricers do to their cars as long as they don't mess around on public roads.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

ah .... most "ricers" round our way dont' drive them fast.
    it's the wannabee ricers in their corsas and novas that are dangerous

You are getting FAR too offended by the comments about over-clockers for you not to actually feel it's alittle true
    Check out ANY over-clocking site. There are 10 cables, leds and lamps to every processor adn motherboard

Just as anyone who tunes a Honda gets labeleed "ricer" then it kinda happens the same to o/c'ers
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    ah .... most "ricers" round our way dont' drive them fast.
    it's the wannabee ricers in their corsas and novas that are dangerous

You are getting FAR too offended by the comments about over-clockers for you not to actually feel it's alittle true
    Check out ANY over-clocking site. There are 10 cables, leds and lamps to every processor adn motherboard

Just as anyone who tunes a Honda gets labeleed "ricer" then it kinda happens the same to o/c'ers
    Let's make this clear, are you referring to all overclockers? There's only about 50% who likes to rice up their computers as overclockers, but real ricers are in the 90+% range.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Quote Originally Posted by NuclearCrap
    real ricers are in the 90+% range.
    You saying thazt 90% of drivers are ricers???

Pfft.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    You saying thazt 90% of drivers are ricers???

Pfft.
    I'm saying that 90% of the "ricers" are really ricers, the other 10% are just tuners, and people call those ricers because people tend to misuse the term a lot. Pfff to you.

Jeez what's so bad about overclocking? I gave my 6800GT a little boost to from 350/1000 to 425/1100 and it went perfect in BF2 on 8x FSAA, showing the same temperature before overclocking.

Cool California weather is just great for overclocking.
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 04-07-2006 at 03:10 AM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Guest Guest
    I'm saying that 90% of the "ricers" are really ricers, the other 10% are just tuners, and people call those ricers because people tend to misuse the term a lot. Pfff to you.

Jeez what's so bad about overclocking? I gave my 6800GT a little boost to from 350/1000 to 425/1100 and it went perfect in BF2 on 8x FSAA, showing the same temperature before overclocking.

Cool California weather is just great for overclocking.
    lol, my 9600 XT runs at 500 Mhz by default, and am a bit scared to push it past 525, although maybe i better try and find the limit...

Its funny when you say drivers..in a computer thread...and you are talking about cars.
    Its like my friend talking about going fishing over Easter. You have to ask if hes talking about RL (Real Life) or WoW (World of Warcraft).
    All about the t-tops

I think NC, your last post perhaps proves my point

So how many extra frames per second did you get with that overclocking ?
    How much sharper was the image ?
    How much faster was the movement ?

( Just like asking a "ricer" how much is his Honda faster with the fart can exhaust and he/she'll make hte ususal 5-10hp claims and yet somehow it supposedly makes his/her car LOADS FASTER )

Overclockgin made sense before the manufacturers cottoned on adn realised they can select-on-wafer the faster components adn put them in their own faster versions. Now you seldom get a very large improvement and so often it doesnt' help as the actual perfomance bootleneck is somehwere else !!

Now it seems as much for the braggin rights .... whcih is fine I guess
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

The improvement is well-noticeable on my 6800GT, it went way above the performance of a base-Ultra, and I'm very satisfied with the results. Still the same good ol' temperature.

On other chips, the performance may not be as noticeable. Hey Jakg, how's the 525?
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

The improvement is well-noticeable on my 6800GT, it went way above the performance of a base-Ultra, and I'm very satisfied with the results. Still the same good ol' temperature.
    Yeah, good example.
    manufacturers cottoned on adn realised they can select-on-wafer the faster components adn put them in their own faster versions
    SOME makers are offering over-clock versions out of the box.
    Some don't, this is a prime case of where processors were 5-10 years ago.
    Same with re-enabling the extra pipelines, some work, some dont'. Get onthat works and you're on a winner. WILL they start deliberately blockgin this to avoid the loss of revenue it creats ( as intel did with Celeron FSB/timing locks -- cut a pin and it's returned tho' )

Ok I dropped by Fry's Electronics today and got myself a Cooler Master Hyper 48 and a 8-pack Vantec ramsinks. I'm gonna get working in a few.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Well, here it is.

It's a Cooler Master Hyper 48. It dropped the temperature by almost 10 degrees at the lowest fan speed of 1400rpm, max speed is 3200rpm. It's awesome.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by NuclearCrap; 04-10-2006 at 12:43 AM.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

This thread is losing life...But I have a question that belongs here.

On my computer, there is an unnamed folder.
    It has no name.
    It just sits around in My Computer doing nothing...cant be accessed, deleted, cant make shortcuts...Im pretty sure there isnt much in the way of properties either.
    If it helps Im running Windows98

Also, my paint stopped working. Keeps performing Illeagle Operations before it opens...but that was already mentioned in this thread, so Im going to hunt it down.
    All about the t-tops

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING

It has no name.
    It just sits around in My Computer doing nothing...cant be accessed, deleted, cant make shortcuts...Im pretty sure there isnt much in the way of properties either.
    If it helps Im running Windows98

Also, my paint stopped working. Keeps performing Illeagle Operations before it opens...but that was already mentioned in this thread, so Im going to hunt it down.
    WHen was the last time you updated it?

Quote Originally Posted by TVR IS KING

oooooooh, virus alert
    ANY suspicious folder is probably one of the little buggars hiding places !!

OK, "Start", "accessories", "command prompt" and then in teh MS-DOS window cd to the desktop and do a "dir" to see the folder DOS name and delete it. This might need you to boot in MS-DOS mode to be able to delete it if it's open by a virus.

Thread Information