Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Japan's rotary or America's V8

theres always an exception.

Quote Originally Posted by PBB
    I'm going to build an LS7 powered FD RX-7 after I get an STi.
    I love you!

There are lots of exceptions actually...

Quote Originally Posted by SLoppYJeeP
    Of course the v8 is going to have more torque and hp then the rotary, a better comparison would be to compare a v6 engine to the rotary, or the v8 to the twin turbo rotary from the late rx-7. Just because more F150's are sold then tacomas doesnt mean that the fords are any more reliable then the toyotas. Infact, toyota's and honda's regulary have milage over 150,000k and still run perfectly. Ride in a ford with 150,000 recently? If your lucky enough you would propobly see alot of blue smoke, hear alot of rattles, and feel alot of vibrations.
    Ironically the last Toyota and Honda I rode in both rattled like crazy...
    I have yet to be in an 150 that rattles.

Quote Originally Posted by rgibbs205
    Hi, Members! I was wondering if you guys could give you opinions on if a Mazda rx 8 rotary engine or a Pontiac GTO V8 was better in terms of power and speed? Which one cost less in maintenance? Thanks for reading.
    Very interesting comparison. On one hand, the backbone of the American auto industry, the Chevy small-block. The other, the very obscure Wankel, which only Mazda was able to make viable. The Mazda rotary displaces 1.3 liters whereas the SBC displaces 5.7 or in the latest GTO, 6.0 liters.

The V8 makes more power and more torque as lower RPMs. The GTO engine doesn't burn oil as part of it's lubrication/sealing process, therefore you don't need to top off every couple of fill-ups. The SBC is now all aluminum so even if it is heavier it isn't a lug of rusting cast iron. The LS2 probably has a life expectancy of more than 200,000 miles without any top or bottom-end work.

The latest iteration of the venerable 13b rotary, the Renesis with side port technology is no slouch. Able to spin to 8,500 RPM with nothing more noticeable than a whir. It's greatest asset is its uniqueness, only one company makes an automotive non-IC engine and the rotary is it. The rotary burns oil, plan on topping off with a quart every other or third fill-up. The rotary is very compact and sits entirely behind the front axle. Life expectancy of the Renesis is supposed to be better than older rotaries, still it would be a miracle if it broke 200K.

Conclusion: GTO V8 is better but the Renesis is in a league of its own. Really. The best American engine is better than the least reliable Japanese engine. The real reason for the rotary continuing existence that it displays Japanese engineering mastery. No one could make the Wankel feasible except Mazda.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

my dads 80's f250 has over 300k on the odo and still being driven every day. our box truck has over 200k on a 5.4 ford and is still running really strong! i didnt believe it had over 200k on it when we bought it. my friends chevy suburban is goin on 130k still runnin strong and being driven hard every day. our chrysler town and country has 240k on it and still runs good. the only car i listed there that has proper maintenence done to it is that suburban....
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Of course the v8 is going to have more torque and hp then the rotary, a better comparison would be to compare a v6 engine to the rotary, or the v8 to the twin turbo rotary from the late rx-7. Just because more F150's are sold then tacomas doesnt mean that the fords are any more reliable then the toyotas. Infact, toyota's and honda's regulary have milage over 150,000k and still run perfectly. Ride in a ford with 150,000 recently? If your lucky enough you would propobly see alot of blue smoke, hear alot of rattles, and feel alot of vibrations.
    japanese cars last until ~120,000km's, and then they're on borrowed time. this is fact.
    simpler, not as stressed V8's will last a lot longer.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Lmao Yeah american cars arent reliable at all thats why they sell 700k F150 a year vs a est 100k tacomas or less. The numbers speak for them selves
    They also sell plenty of Exploders too but no one outside America would touch them. They had to replace them in Australia with this!
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Heck ive riden in one with twice that much and still ran great. We have had explorers and they are great!
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    They also sell plenty of Exploders too but no one outside America would touch them. They had to replace them in Australia with this!

hah! that so called car opens up a can of woop ass on any American Equivalent, far better than the Explorer in a vast range of aspects. Should be in America to be honest, SUV's there are shockingly ugly.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

The V8 will win in every way. They say the RX-8 will reach 9000 rpms. Well it will cost 9,000(around their) dollors to repalce the engine after you blow that dam thing up.
    Fords suck, Chevys rule, but its Ferrari that makes me drool

Quote Originally Posted by PrevlingPushrod
    The V8 will win in every way. They say the RX-8 will reach 9000 rpms. Well it will cost 9,000(around their) dollors to repalce the engine after you blow that dam thing up.
    But revs in a rotary aren't the same. It's not even THINKING abotu stressing anything at those revs, whereas the V8 is bouncing valve springs, stretching valve stems and bending gudgeon pins.

What is THE most reliable Le Mans engine EVER built with the highest percentage of finishes ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

the 2.0L Toyota engine that's used in my corona of course

win Le Mans any day of the week.....
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

I'd go with the rotatory its more original in my opinion
    ________
    FaeKitty
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 08:53 PM.

I'd take the rotary as far as the whole package is concerned.

The RX-8's easily lighter and nimbler compared to the GTO, not to mention purpose built
    I am the Stig

Thread Information