Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Audi Quattro / Audi Coupe (B2) 1980-1991

Audi Quattro / Audi Coupe (B2) 1980-1991

Also look at Audi Rally Motorsports, Audi Sport Quattro S1

Audi Quattro (11/1980 - 05/1991)

It all started in February 1977 when Ferdinand Piech - Audi's Director of Technical Development was contacted by his chassis engineer Jörg Bensinger. Bensinger had been in Finland with Volkswagen's four wheel drive Iltis - a vehicle developed for the Germany Army and for forestry. It ruled supreme in the snow - no other vehicle in the tests could touch it. In September 1977 the top secret project A1 - "Allrad 1"- received the go-ahead from Audi's board.

In March 1980 the Audi Quattro was presented at the Geneva Auto Show. The car was based on the Audi 80 type 81 but had a lot of unique parts and specialities, making it both the first car to feature Audi's quattro All Wheel Drive system (hence its name) and the first to mate quattro with a turbocharged engine. Factory price was to be an eye-watering DM 49,900. For comparison, the Audi Coupe GT built on the same shell (and sharing the "81" chassis code) cost around DM20,000. The first of lucky owners had their cars in November that year. Interestinly the Quattro was not built on a production line - every car was hand built at Audi's Ingolstadt factory.

The powerplant was a 2.2 L, single overhead cam, 10 valve straight-5 originally making 118 kW and eventually receiving upgrades to 147 kWp and then to a twin-cam setup producing 162 kW.

In May 1991 the last of original Audi Quattro was produced, the gap left by UrQ was filled with Audi S2. Even though the S2 could do nearly everything better than its predecessor, it never gained its reputation. Reason for this is perhaps that the UrQ was the first and most revolutionary in its class. Its long production run further gave reason for the legend: when all other cars were streamlined, the UrQ would still proudly hold its housewall-aerodynamics into the wind.

The URquattro was not only uncommon in its technic, its marketing was also pretty unconventional. It is normal that at first the lower models get introduced to the market and better equipped and stronger models follow. Not so with the UrQ. His small derivates Audi Coupe and Coupe quattro were presented later.

Since then so many Audis have used the 4wd system and been called "quattros" that afficionados have taken to calling the original car the "Ur-Quattro". Ur is the name of the first city built by man, in Mesopotamia (present day Iraq) and it's used frequently in German to mean "original".

Audi Coupe (09/1980 - 09/1987)

The Audi Coupe was a affordable offshoot of the UrQuattro. To cut costs, the Coupe used front-wheel drive rather than quattro, and smaller wheels and tires, and was mass-produced of course. It was powered by a normally aspirated four- or five-cylinder engine. The basic body shape was same apart from the front and rear fascia andthe characteristically widened fenders of the Uri. However, the visual differences between the two are virtually imperceptible for the untrained eyes.

Later, the Coupé quattro was launched, not to be confused with URQuattro .

Sources: audistory.de, The UK Quattro Network
    Attached Images Attached Images

Audi Coupe #2

Audi Coupe #3

AWESOME!! I feel like a kid in a candy store. I wonder what other Audi's you will pull out of your goody bag next

Hey, this is not fair, I asked about 80, not Coupe.

But I forgive you
    Last edited by smxi; 03-14-2006 at 02:23 PM.

Audi Coupe #4

Audi Coupe #5
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I'd like to own one, they seem like a great sports/everyday car.

My father used to have one when they first came out in white. There's a couple of shots of me sitting on the bonnet at a year or two old . I'm thinking about getting one to drive now and again. I really like these. But then again I also like the Maserati Shamal right now but I don't see me driving one any time soon
    Last edited by Vaigra; 04-05-2006 at 02:04 PM.

Being nice since 2007.

It has the aerodynamic properties of a breeze block, but I love it.

Any pics of the über-Quattro, the Quattro Sport? The road-going one, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    Any pics of the über-Quattro, the Quattro Sport? The road-going one, of course.
    Damn, I know I've seen them in the hide-out...But I can't find 'em anymore?

Anyhow, pictures of road legal S1 belong in the Audi Sport Quattro S1 thread and I shall post them there.

Saw this beautiful Quattro whilst I was up in Yorkshire- man, it was stunning!

Unfortunately not my best pics... I was in a hurry.

Audi Coupe Quattro 1985-1986

i remember my dad having one of these. He would wash it every Sunday and i know why. I was 8/9 years old and didn't appreciate how much i would miss it. This car makes me feel very nostalgic...
    autozine.org

Quote Originally Posted by jediali View Post
    i remember my dad having one of these. He would wash it every Sunday and i know why. I was 8/9 years old and didn't appreciate how much i would miss it. This car makes me feel very nostalgic...
    Join the club. I was 4/5 when my father had one. It was a white coupe with matching white alloy wheels
    Ah memories...

Being nice since 2007.

Thread Information