Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When should i get a car?

When should i get a car?

Ok im 14 now and i have no money in the bank, should i get a job now to start saving for a car? or should i not get one and wait till im in or done college/university?
    is there really any need to get a car in highschool?
    (other then beacause it's "cool")

No location .... no chance of giving you a sensible answer.
    Outta here
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

and why would i need a location???

im old enough to get a car now and i wished that i had saved up so yes get a job and start saving. i DO have a savers account for when im 18 which will pay for a car but obviously id rather have it now. so start saving kid

Falls Church (home), Charlottesville (college), Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Canuck
    Ok im 14 now and i have no money in the bank, should i get a job now to start saving for a car? or should i not get one and wait till im in or done college/university?
    is there really any need to get a car in highschool?
    (other then beacause it's "cool")
    Well... That depends on a variety of factors.
    • Does your local school system have buses? Or are you close enough to your school to walk?
    • Do both of your parents work, or just one? That is, would it inconvenience them to have to pick you up from school?
    • Are you involved in lots of extracurricular activities? If yes, do they have an irregular schedule?

I got my own car in October of my senior year in high school, and it was great. I lived roughly twenty minutes from my school, but when I took the bus I typically left home an hour before school began. It was also nice because it didn't seem logical for my parents to drive twenty minutes to my school just to pick me up and then spend twenty minutes driving back when I stayed late after school.

Based on my personal experience, I would recommend having a car in high school.
    UCP's biggest (only?) fan of the '74-'76 Mercury Cougar.
    UCP's proudest owner of a '74 Cougar

My favorite color is chrome.

Do you want to have a girlfriend in high school? Logistically, it's almost necessary to have a car to start dating. Do you want your parents to have to pick you up or drop you off on a date? Do you want to have to bum rides from friends for dates? Do you never want time alone with a girl?
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

If ya wanna roll 6 deep on chrome dubs blastin' 2-pac, you'll need a car. I would definitely get a car if I happened to be you. BTW, those people that always say, "having a car is not all that it's made out to be" are wrong.

Would an 80's Corolla or 240 be a good car? im 14 and want a car soon, preferably RWD when im 18 or get a license
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

i got a car 2 wks after startin freshman yr, i was 15(had a hardship license) then and was like the only freshman to have a car, it was fun for the first couple of months till every other student got a car. i didn't really need 1 as the school bus did pass around and/or my parents could have given me rides, but i still did get the car:P.(am a senior now about to graduate, and well i have 1 of the cheaper cars, damn rich ppl school and am poor, most seniors have a car along the lines of 97 and up models, G35's, hummers, vettes, and the likes)

and yes start savin now if you want a nice car and for the insurance.

btw get a FWD car so you can start learning, later on when you have enough experience get something better.(believe me, a 240sx is not an easy car to drive in the rain, once did a 180 goin @ about 20mph and almost hit a brick mailbox).
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    If ya wanna roll 6 deep on chrome dubs blastin' 2-pac, you'll need a car. I would definitely get a car if I happened to be you. BTW, those people that always say, "having a car is not all that it's made out to be" are wrong.
    sheeuyh nigga, rollin on fo fo's is hawd witout a whip yo, you caint move weight without a drop
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

I would get a job and start saving now, you might need one in two years and you don't want to get into my position where you can't get a job in the local area so you need a car but can't afford one because you have no job!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Do you want to have a girlfriend in high school? Do you never want time alone with a girl?
    already have one and already do

but i would like to drive her places on my own......dosn't that sound funny, lol

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    I'm 15, almost there.

Mom promised to let me get the permit this summer and do the road test thing on my 16th birthday. She has a friend who's a partner of a few local used car lots, now that's easy.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Just save for a license first of all, and that way you can borrow your parent's car whenever. And just wait 'til you're done of university/college 'til you get your own car. That's what Im doing for example.
    "'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'"'

Bay Area, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way,
    Save for license? It's only somewhere between $10-$20 lol.
    The Ace of All Aces.

Crysis. Maximum Game.

Thread Information