Thread: First drive: Ford's fitter Fiesta Zetec is all class

First drive: Ford's fitter Fiesta Zetec is all class

http://www.goauto.com.au/mellor/mell...25713800126D74

A more refined Zetec sports flagship joins Ford's facelifted WQ Fiesta hatch range

By BYRON MATHIOUDAKIS 21 March 2006

FORD has introduced a sportier version of the WQ Fiesta that went on sale in January.

But while driving enthusiasts may rue the lack of more power over the regular range, the new Zetec does gain small but significant suspension and gearing modifications, as well as a wheel and tyre upgrade, over its WP Zetec predecessor.

The former involves revisions to front and rear springs, resulting in a slightly lower ride height and a wider stance.

The suspension’s dampers have also been modified which, along with stiffer spring rates than before, bring better body control during a wide range of manoeuvres.

To that end Ford has also installed a thicker-diameter front anti-roll bar, different suspension bushes front and rear, and a stiffer twist beam in the rear suspension housing.

The previously optional 16-inch seven-spoke alloy wheels, shod with 195/45 R16V low-profile tyres, are now standard on the Zetec.

The company says the upshot is improved steering feel and sharper handling properties.

Ford has also fitted closer-ratio forward gearing to the Zetec’s five-speed manual gearbox. First gear is now 8.6 per cent lower, while fourth gear has seen an 11.4 per cent drop.

So while the Zetec employs the same 1.6-litre twin-cam 16-valve four-cylinder engine as all Fiestas (delivering 74kW of power at 6000rpm and 146Nm of torque at 4000rpm), both acceleration and mid-range response should be slightly sprightlier.

Meanwhile, the driver-adaptive four-speed automatic gearbox – complete with mandatory anti-lock brakes and electronic brake-force distribution – continues as an option.

To refresh, the WQ Fiesta is a comprehensively facelifted version of the WP Fiesta range that went on sale in April 2004.

Revealed in base LX and luxury Ghia guises at the Sydney motor show last October, Ford implemented revised headlights and tail-lights sporting fashionable chromed ringed detailing, a feature also found in the reprofiled front and rear bumpers.

Other visual differences include new side rub-srips, more colour options (a bronze, blue and grey) and new cabin trim, while a completely redesigned dashboard boasting soft-feel plastic, redrawn instrumentation and altered switches and controls have also been added.

Ford Australia contributed to the new fascia as it was originally part of the Indian B376 Fiesta sedan program that the local engineers have worked on.

As reported in GoAuto last June, the four-door Fiesta sedan may still be under consideration for Australian consumption. Ford will be watching the sales of the newly introduced Holden Barina and Toyota Yaris sedans very closely.

All 2006 Fiestas also offer more for money, including an MP3 audio input facility on manual models (the automatic gearbox’s bulk apparently precludes this), an extra seat pocket and a three-flash lane-change indicator function.

Plus the Zetec auto now costs $800 less than before at $1500 above the manual, while ABS and EBD are now available as an $800 option on the base LX manual – previously it was an auto-only LX thing.

With the recent demise of the Holden XC Barina SRi, Toyota Echo Sportivo and Proton Satria GTi, the Zetec is the only sports-orientated light-car entrant this side of the considerably more powerful $26,990 VW Polo GTI.

Ford is banking on this fact, as well as the Fiesta’s good press reception, German heritage (exploited in all its advertising campaigns since launch) and high specification levels to assist in muscling more market share from the hot Yaris and Suzuki Swift, as well as the Honda Jazz, Mazda2, Peugeot 206, Renault Clio and Polo competitors.

The segment is booming this year, so Ford is hopeful of moving between 500 to 600 Fiestas each month, an approximately 30 per cent jump on the 433 monthly average achieved last year.

In other words, the Blue Oval is leaving the bargain-basement babies – including the South Korean Barina, Kia Rio and Hyundai Getz – alone for now, with its president Tom Gorman saying that he is keen "to protect the brand" against severe discounting.

Nevertheless, he also added that, in the future, once some of the Fiesta’s hidden costs are taken out of the system, there may be room for Ford to market Fiesta more aggressively on price.

2006 Ford WQ Fiesta pricing:
    Fiesta LX 3-dr - $15,990
    Fiesta LX 3-dr (a) - $18,190
    Fiesta LX 5-dr - $16,490
    Fiesta LX 5-dr (a) - $18,690
    Fiesta Zetec 3-dr - $18,490
    Fiesta Zetec 3-dr (a) - $19,990
    Fiesta Ghia 5-dr - $20,490
    Fiesta Ghia 5-dr (a) - $21,990

Safety options:
    ABS with EBD (LX manual only) - $700
    Side and curtain airbags - $900

Them twin pipes look ok
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

thats priced very competively too. $18.5k for the zetec isnt a bad buy.
    The Datto will rage again...

You have to question Fords ability to market their whole range of cars. ATM, the Fiesta's getting a huge push in marketing with the Falcon and Territory, and the Focus seems neglected. Maybe theyre hoping to get a steady supply and use the marketing when it can do its most benefit
    I am the Stig

I don't see how it can be called good value when a Car from the Excel class is costing as much as a Ford Laser 5 years ago.

Not even Commodore/Falcon have gone up that much.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

They have though. Large cars typically arent cheaper than $35K anymore unless your happy with no air con, 15" wheels and a manual gearbox. AU/VT/VXs were all only just above $30K and theyre technically still current generation cars. Imagine how much any decent VE will cost, im willing to bet anything above an Executive will be over $40K

The general quality of the small class cars has skyrocketed as well. Excel's may have been $13990 drive away, but that really shows something if Hyundai could get away with charging that much.
    I am the Stig

I think it's not a relative cost increase.

Even Barina's were 13/14 990 when they first came onto the scene, which i can imagine - a European product that is a little more expensive than it's asian counterparts.

But when the market sits at around $16,000 for a base hatch, including Air con, the Fiesta starts to look expensive, and worst of all, becomes compared to the Polo which it has no chance against prestige wise (anyone buying a Small hatch for it's handling prowess are kidding themselves).

VE will be an interesting price vehicle. a Quick flick through my Wheels Guide confirms a VZ price of around $34,000 for a base Exec, give or take around $2k for air. plus onroads, of course.

Holden were actually smart to stick something like the Viva/Barina into this sector, because they've noticed the increase in quality comes the increase in price, and thus have got a market for their cheaper, less quality vehicles.

Most people who buy a small hatch want it to either be a cheap runabout or are retired (Or a girl ) so price is still a big consideration.

At this rate most people will be able to pick up alot more of the current small cars on the used market without settling for a crappier older model.

The Fiesta's biggest gripe is its expensive options though, like $2000 for abs and auto.Thse should be alot cheaper, or standard
    I am the Stig

Thats precisely what I was thinking - give it a few years and i'll be owning a nice Focus or something

Id imagine an original Focus wouldnt hold too much value, the only thing going against that might be the supply problems slowing sales of the Mk2.
    I am the Stig

Bugger, Thats the one I want.

Theres already a girl at our school who drives a Focus CL 1st Gen

Mightve been one of the runouts at $19K then.

At least they'll be cheaper to buy initially though
    I am the Stig

I didn't like that new Focus when it came out first, But the latest one is alright looking with the silly girl leaving her poor dog on the roof.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Thread Information