Page 387 of 500 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437487 ... LastLast
Results 5,791 to 5,805 of 7489

Thread: Galah Sessions

I actually wonder the effectiveness of tracks against speeding.

I think there's three ways of looking at it.

One way is that tracks actually encourage a culture of speed and racing and would increase street racing and speeding.

Another way is that providing tracks would get the aggression out of drivers and there would be a decrease in street racing and speeding.

Or it simply makes no difference either way.

It makes a difference.. the street racers who think they're driving gods go the track and then bin it on the first corner... ain't no street racing a busted car.

thanks to a law where airfields have to be kept in an operable condition for ten years after their closure, the police ran drag racing events every week at an airfield on the gold coast. was great, affordable and close. now that there is nowhere except willowbank to line up, kids do it on the street rather than driving the 45min out to willowbank.
    i don't mind so much, four circuits within driving distance is enough for me haha
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

You can only do so much to stop street racing though, cause at the end of the day alot of people will do it on the street because its convenient. You might still have the people who think they're the king of a particular road or whatever, but there'll always be someone who at any particular moment will want to have some fun, so will fang it regardless.
    I am the Stig

that's all true, but even if more venues didn't help, i'd keep saying that it does, because i want more places to race at LOL
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Its a bit of a double edged sword though. If they did get more venues, they'd need more money to operate them and keep them at a respectable condition. Or they take the money theyve got now and keep whatever is around in top notch condition, but theres barely any venues.

If every major city had 2-3 race venues within an hour, it'd take a massive amount of money to keep them running, alot of which would be passed on to the public for using them. Then you get another problem that nobody goes there because of the cost/
    I am the Stig

a multiplex like what they want to do at the gold coast would cover all bases though, drag, circuit, driver training etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    I actually wonder the effectiveness of tracks against speeding.

I think there's three ways of looking at it.

One way is that tracks actually encourage a culture of speed and racing and would increase street racing and speeding.

Another way is that providing tracks would get the aggression out of drivers and there would be a decrease in street racing and speeding.

Or it simply makes no difference either way.

You will always get a minority who will do the wrong thing, I was guilty of it years ago. Plus once you have done some track days you soon realise you cant get even close to the limits on the street with the same confidence, so you save all that up for the next track day. Most of my friends are circuit racers or supersprinters and and all of them drive very conservatively on the street and actually anticipate situations arising and take the appropriate action to avoid it.

Our local state government has said a motor-sport park will send the wrong message about hooning , yet they gladly pour money into The clipsal V8 race Clipsal 500 Adelaide 2009 on city streets and the Adelaide Rally http://www.classicadelaide.com.au/ca09/index.asprun on public roads I love these events but the hypocrisy of the government is laughable saying these events are fine but a motorplex sends the wrong message

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho View Post
    Its a bit of a double edged sword though. If they did get more venues, they'd need more money to operate them and keep them at a respectable condition. Or they take the money theyve got now and keep whatever is around in top notch condition, but theres barely any venues.

If every major city had 2-3 race venues within an hour, it'd take a massive amount of money to keep them running, alot of which would be passed on to the public for using them. Then you get another problem that nobody goes there because of the cost/
    We don't even have a venue here, when Bob Jane decided he didn't want CAMS or ANDRA events and wanted to develop his own series for Calder and AIR so he could make more money..... we all know how well that series went.

I know probably 50 racers that have their car in the shed and have no interest of going to Mallala and Rob was telling me there would be 50-70 top flight to fuel, prostock, door slammer, TA, SC that would be involved.

Most drag strips are self funded WSID, Perth Motorplex, Willowbank are all run without government money. The Adelaide Motorplex will be the same plus have a motorsport precinct that will cater to all catergories

The meeting was good there were probably 3000 people there , some of the speakers were good some weren't, the meeting needed more direction on what pollies, councils, groups etc to target but there is another one at Parliment House next month.
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Quote Originally Posted by charged View Post
    heading down to a public meeting/protest about the new Adelaide Motorplex Adelaide Motorplex proposal, hopefully we will get a good turn out..... Jeez we need another track and the drag racers( guys who don't know how to around corners or brake ) desperately need a venue

Sadly this is what some of our labour politicians think

what about clipsal and the Adelaide classic rally.... we better ban them as well as they are sending the wrong message
    charged, I didn't know this meeting had been organised until I saw tonight's news. I would have attended this public meeting if I knew about it but it was good to know a large crowd of people came to the meeting and it was given great coverage by Adelaide's media.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

"Dragway or Highway" was the slogan for canberras effort.

We got 'promised' one pre election but post election... well you know how pollies work
    The Datto will rage again...

You do see a lot of the "I voted for a Dragway" stickers on the backs of VN's and EL's

Having said that, Anzac Parade at 2am is apparantly quite the haven for the 1/4 milers.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Its dead straight, a measured length of good wide road and convenient lights to launch from. Its a a purpose built strip even if they didnt mean it to be lol.

Go up mount ainslie (behind the memorial) and you can watch/hear them run late at night.

Sif. go down there & take photos/upload youtube videos.

get the retards caught through their own bravado.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

When I used to live in Swinger Hill (yes, its was actually called Swinger Hill) you could hear people dragg off the hindmarsh/yambau intersection lights all friday night.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra View Post
    "Dragway or Highway" was the slogan for canberras effort.

We got 'promised' one pre election but post election... well you know how pollies work

Don't get me started Blue, we have a new tram-line going in from Adelaide to Port Adelaide a $260mill project yet the tram line mirrors a train line only 200metres adjacent to it running the same basic route. $250mill is the estimated cost it will probably blow out by 10-20%
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Thread Information