Thread: Yet another chapter in the Territory story

Yet another chapter in the Territory story

It's curtains for Territory
    By Chris. Gable
    Wednesday March 10 2004

Side curtain airbags and a long list of accessories are the latest chapters in the long-winded launch of Ford's Territory.
    The curtain 'bags -- which Ford claims as a first on a locally-manufactured vehicle -- will be standard on Territory Ghia and TS variants and optional on the entry-level Territory TX.

"The inflatable side curtain airbag on Territory adds a new dimension of safety in an Australian built vehicle," Ford Australia Environmental and Safety Engineering Manager Bruce Priddle says.

"It works in concert with other side impact protection features such as the vehicle body structure and door intrusion beams, to provide new levels of interior safety.

"The curtain provides head protection for both front and second row occupants in side impact crashes, helping to greatly reduce the risk of potentially serious head injuries.

The curtain retains the occupant's head inside the vehicle, reducing the risk of injury from impact with objects outside such as power poles, trees or even the front of a high-riding vehicle."

advertisement

advertisement
    Priddle said Australian studies show that 35 percent of all crashes involve a a side impact, and the employment of a side curtain airbag results in a 45 percent reduction in the probability of a fatality.

"In a US study, the number of deaths from side impacts in cars without a head-protecting side airbag was more than double those where a side curtain airbag was fitted. The study also found that a side airbag results in a 45 percent reduction in the probability of a fatality."

Ford says the inflatable side curtain airbag on Territory runs from the A-pillar to the C-pillar and, when deployed, drops down to the belt line of the vehicle to protect the occupant's head.

The airbag itself is similar to the airbag found in the steering wheel, we're told, but is a multi-chamber design as it covers a far greater area.

The side curtain airbag is linked to four sensors ?- one in each B- and C-pillar. When the sensor detects a change in lateral, or sideways, acceleration of sufficient magnitude, it deploys the side airbag to fully inflate in 24 milliseconds. The airbag mounted in the steering wheel takes 40 milliseconds to deploy.

"This rapid deployment of the side curtain airbag is necessary because of the limited space between the occupants and the side of the car," Priddle said.

On the accessories front, Ford says 60 out of the available 66 were designed exclusively for the Territory.

Included in the range are:

Telescopic carry bars for the canoe holder, bicycle rack or luggage box;
    A fully integrated remote control DVD player with drop-down screen;
    A back-seat mounted car fridge;
    Waterproof, machine-washable neoprene seat covers; and,
    Territory-branded rubber car mats.

Again, well before the launch of the Territory itself, Ford's also issued a list of accessories and their retail prices, including fitment:

Towpack -- $485
    Mud spats -- $52
    Cargo shelf -- $300
    Cruise control -- $595
    Sump guard -- $195
    17-inch alloy rims (x4)-- $1380
    Carry bars -- $425
    Fog lamps -- $250
    Fridge power adaptor -- $80F
    REX Entertainment System -- $3285
    REX games adaptor -- $395
    Smoker's pack -- $70
    Body kit (painted) -- $1195
    Body kit (primed) -- $995
    Spoiler (painted) -- $395
    Spoiler (primed) -- $300
    Cargo net -- $55
    Cargo swing net -- $85
    Cargo hammock net -- $60
    Mobile phone platform -- $40
    Reverse Sensing System -- $495
    Day Tripper fridge (15L) -- $175
    Leather sequential sports shifter -- $215
    Leather steering wheel -- $830
    Window shades -- $60
    Alarm -- $620
    Seatback organiser -- $65
    CD wallet -- $20
    Waterproof seat cover -- $100
    Safety barrier -- $575
    Fire extinguisher -- $65
    First Aid kit -- $49
    Cargo liner -- $160
    Carpet mats -- $135
    Dash mat -- $53
    Rubber mats -- $85
    Scuff plates (sports) -- $85
    Scuff plates (alloy) -- $100
    Weather shields -- $105
    Fog lamp guards -- $50
    Head lamp guards -- $85
    Bonnet protector -- $120
    Dust deflector -- $135
    Bike carrier -- $325
    Canoe/kayak holder -- $295
    Luggage basket -- $330
    Roof luggage box (405L) -- $1395
    Roof luggage box (375L) -- $995
    Ski carrier (3-set) -- $250
    Ski carrier (5-set) -- $295

Prices and details correct at publication date.
    ---------------------------

just 2 things to say at this point in time:

1. Theyre actually offering a bodykit and spoiler for this? Either its a substitute for no FPV and XR version or its a clear sign theres more to come......

2. They said the curtain airbags are spanning from the A pillar to the C pillar, so at least the rear, or rather, middle occupants get some protection then i guess
    I am the Stig

Judging by the replies (or lack of) it doesn't look as if the Territory is lighting the world on fire. I guess it doesn't invoke the same passion as the falcon/commodore genre, but by the same token I think this is a genuine effort to get the AWD thing right by Ford. The attention to detail is pretty impressive, & to claim that this unit will be safer than the BA falcon is saying something. Hopefully they will wack the 270kw turbo in it & have it wheeling past some of the commodores.....that will probably sell it.

dont jump too far head, we'll see a 240kw turbo territory before a 270kw version. i think all that can be said about the territory pre-launch, has been said. i mean, the view count on the thread isnt that bad so obviously people are still interested in what theyre being told
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    we'll see a 240kw turbo territory before a 270kw version
    You are probably spot on there. It would be a marketing fo-par to go for the 270kw version...be like having a 300kw Typhoon when you only have a 290kw GT.

I read the article on autoweb, and I have to say (again) that ford have really lifted their game in the engineering stakes in the last few years, culminating in the BA falcon & now the territory. Probably speaking out of turn here, but I don't see the same level of prowess coming from Holden. They are good a good marketing force, but a jacked up holden station wagon isn't exactly testing the engineering boundaries (in my opinion).

well Holden know what theyre doing. they've developed an AWD system rather than focusing solely on one car which seems to be what Ford have done. Holden already have 3 cars that the AWD drivetrain is under and theres plenty left. but still Ford have pushed themselves further than Holden on this one and Holden are making up for it in product diversity
    I am the Stig

Thread Information