Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HSV taken one step too far maybe?

HSV taken one step too far maybe?

Versatile: HSV says its Avalanche XUV ute adds cargo carrying ability to the Avalanche SUV’s portfolio.

HSV reveals a Crewman-based twin-cab ute set to wow the Melbourne show crowd

By MARTON PETTENDY 24 February 2004

HOLDEN Special Vehicles will use the Melbourne motor show to unveil its take on the twin-cab Crewman Cross8 utility, along with the latest iterations of its range-topping GTS sedan and coupe.

Claimed to add cargo-carrying capability to the recently released HSV Avalanche wagon’s arsenal, the all-wheel drive four-door ute will become available from mid-March at a price expected to be close to $70,000, making it Australia’s most expensive locally-built ute.

Launching in Melbourne alongside Holden’s own SST step-side ute concept and an even bigger surprise from Fishermens Bend, Avalanche XUV will line up alongside Maloo as the second utility in HSV’s range. The pair of all-wheel drive Avalanche models will be joined in May by a third AWD HSV, the Coupe4.

XUV (for X-treme Utility Vehicle) employs the same HSV-enhanced 5.7-litre LS1 V8 as its Avalanche and Coupe4 cousins, producing 270kW at 5700rpm and 475Nm of torque at 4000rpm.

HSV estimates a 0-100km/h acceleration time of 6.5 seconds standing 400-metre sprints of 14.6 seconds, making XUV “the undisputed number one in the crew-cab performance stakes”.

Like the Holden Crewman Cross8 upon which it’s based (there will be no rear-drive Crewman-based HSV), XUV transmits its drive through a GM 4L65E automatic transmission to all four wheels via the same Cross Trac AWD system as found in Holden’s Adventra.

Supporting XUV’s intended towing role is an HSV Performance Braking System comprising AP Racing ventilated and grooved 336mm front discs with HSV-embossed, HRT-red twin-piston front callipers, plus 315mm ventilated and grooved rear rotors.

XUV’s spring-strut front suspension is shared with Avalanche, as are the specifically developed 245/45-section 18-inch Bridgestone S-O3 directional tyres.

But it eschews the wagon’s independent rear suspension for a Cross8-based leaf-sprung live rear axle, which HSV says is better suited to the heavy-duty applications in which it’s likely to be used. Ground clearance is a useful 200mm.

Like Crewman models, XUV’s cargo tray measures 1463mm long by 1438mm wide, while maximum towing capacity is 2100kg when fitted with the appropriate towing package. All up, XUV is 5.3 metres long with a huge 12.4 metre turning circle.

Specification will be similar to that of the $73,900 Avalanche wagon, the five-seater cabin offering a choice of three standard leather trim options - Anthracite, Red Hot and Ochre – plus HSV sports front seats (with four-way power adjustment for the driver and two-way power for the passenger).

Other standard Avalanche XUV features that cost extra in Holden’s $51,990 Crewman Cross8 include climate control air-conditioning and a Blaupunkt six-CD audio system, while XUV also shares Avalanche wagon’s unique HSV Instruments, steering wheel, alloy pedals, sports binnacle, active front head restraints and both front and front side airbags.

Designed, like Avalanche wagon, by the new head of HSV design Julian Quincey, XUV features many of the five-door’s off-road styling themes (including its 18-inch alloys), but adds items such as a “faster” rear pillar and an HSV “signature” number plate surround in the tailgate.

Just as Avalanche adds colour-coded bumpers to the Adventra equation, so too does XUV to the basic Crewman Cross package.

“I think with this style of vehicle the tougher and more robust it looks the more accepted it becomes”,said Mr Quincey. “We achieved the rugged look by using chunky bumpers and wheel arches and we made a feature of the driving lights by adding bezels to them to emphasise the vehicle’s tough capable all-wheel drive image.”

XUV will be available in Phantom Black, Turbine Grey, Heron White and three HSV exclusive colours - HSV Racing Green, HSV Ultra Violet 2 and HSV Sting Red. Options will include Xenon driving lights, a new HSV tyre pressure monitoring system, HSV glass panel sunroof, HSV-embossed cargo liner and unique XUV lockable hard tonneau cover.

HSV says XUV will appeal to tradesman and primary producers looking for a workhorse cum leisure machine for carrying boy’s toys and towing boats, as well as to companies wanting the ultimate image vehicle to promote a business or lifestyle.

“XUV buyers will be out there, wherever out there is for them”, said HSV general manager Chris Payne. “They work hard and are into sports, boating, etcetera and they’re looking for a car with an image like nothing else – and boy do they get it with XUV.”

HSV estimates it will sell about 250 XUVs in Australia per year, about the same number as Avalanche wagons.
    -----------------------------

are we getting that american influenced that we have to supplement for our shortcomings with oversized SUV's?
    I am the Stig

I am mildly amused at the term XUV.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

It reminds me of another saying by Aston Martin; "Porsche is no longer a competitor, as it makes Trucks", if my memory is right. Certainly something similar.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I am mildly amused at the term XUV.

i cant help but wonder whether they went for an acronym alongside the avalanche name instead of a completely new name because ford called the RTV ute just that rather than simply a high ride ute. i thought the whole fuss in acronyms was just with the safety systems........ESP, ABS, EBD, HSC, HDC and all that
    I am the Stig

i found a pretty good JPEG pic to go with the article
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

Bloody jibberish from holden....their pinning a hell of a lot on these 4x4 cars and their hardly selling ANY! We have a few inour dealership and no orders...its strange because canberra is a snobbisharea...youdsuppose theyd lap it up.

well HSV have less orders for the VY2 GTS sedan and coupe cobmined than Dick Johnson has for the HP320 (about 15 for 2 models vs about 20 for 1)

right now as the auto transmission is the only one thats able to be hooked up to the transfer case your really taking an AWD car for the safety card as its power deficiency and lack of a manual gearbox dont make them stand out as much as they should. its a laugh though that HSV think they'll actually get buyers for this that will load them up, i mean, whats the payload going to be, under 400kg? barely anything
    I am the Stig

Im thinking the GTS will no longer be with us soon....Its takeing several steps backwards and cant seem to gain ground....and i can see why 100k for a 2 door taxi!
    Well shit the load capcity of amaloo ute makes my brother laugh when his XR8 is only rated at 1/2 a ton!....so theres an indication....what i think is funniest is them passing it off as an offroad vehical!

both the Avalanche and Avalanche XUV should be normal ride height vehicles and play on the safety card in my opinion. No one takes cars over $70K offroad, thats why Toyota offer bread and butter Landcruisers for around $40 odd K.

well with the BA, Ford have managed to hold onto the payload whilst having a heavier car so if the BA2 ends up being lighter they'll be able to give it more payload i guess, but in todays society no one buys sports utes for work. i know people by HQ one tonners with 350's and 4spd's in them and still haul near a tonne but todays sports utes are only for show
    I am the Stig

Well my brothers ute with half a ton means it could be useful but you defintly wouldent drop a heap of gravel in it...maloos are useless for payload and imassuming all other HSV offerings are the same!

well people like plumbers could still take a couple of things around with them, hell i think half the XR8 utes ive seen have been plumbers, but i wouldnt reccomend a bricky to use one or to use them to haul anything like gravel or soil. HSV probably havent tried their hand yet at the one tonner as they'd be expected to live up to it being a one tonner where the versatility of the falcon ute means FPV can sell the Pursuit with the ute body and you can take the tub off and replace it with a tray
    I am the Stig

Well ive even seen a taxi XR8 sedan but thats too far off topic....
    V8 powerd XT utes are afaveorite amongst tradesmen in canberra...2nd only to the forte AU ute...if your willing to get a rough v8 powerd falcon ute theres your chance.

i think the attraction of the falcon utes are their hybrid chassis and leaf sprung rear end that make it better for loads even in sports tune. like i'd like to compare the spring rates of the rear springs in an SS ute and XR8 ute with the same payload. also, not being an IRS unit you can always stick beefier suspension on the back. performance ford magazine i think it was test drove an RTV ute and stuck a tonne and a half of firewood in the back and it looked like my dads one tonner does with one tonne
    I am the Stig

Well either way they went over the broucure weight Tradesmen pack utes are fairly hardy things...and options list as long as you arm too!
    The ACT goverment seems to of struck a deal with the postal service for S pack commadres...i guess mail isnt as heavy as gravel....but the s packs now will never looe the mail hauler image for me

well i guess it wont be too long now and they'll stike a deal with toyota or honda for the hybrids, with the civic hybrid and Prius 2, already some politicians are driving the prius.

well even with a tonne and a half, they claimed the RTV still handled quite good especially in comparison to the japanese utes. ive also read this article where someone tested a normal one tonner but with a hydraulic arm and tray on the back. in total i think they claimed the payload was 1600kg, but i doubt that claim as ive seem my dads one tonner with a cubic metre of soild on the back and its draggin its arse
    I am the Stig

Thread Information