Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autocar aims for London speed record

Autocar aims for London speed record

Autocar is aiming to set a new London Land Speed record this summer - and celebrate the arrival of the British Motor Show in the capital to boot.

Some of the world's fastest cars will gather at London's City Airport in July, bidding to set a new benchmark for top speed in the city. The facility's mile-long runway will be closed to air traffic for the occasion, and organisers are expecting the top machinery to reach speeds of more than 180mph. The attempt will have Guinness Book of World Records approval.

'Each car will have a rolling start,' said Autocar editor Rob Aherne. 'But it's as much a test of braking performance; not least because the runway ends in a dock.'

The line-up of machinery has yet to be confirmed, but autocar.co.uk will bring more details on the London Land Speed Record in the coming weeks - as well as exclusive news and reports from the event itself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

that really seems like it shouldnt count because its on a mile long runway and its closed off...shouldnt top speed in the city be the fastest person they've ever caught speeding?
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

How much of a rolling start? I really doubt 180mph on a one mile airfield will be possible.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

I dont think its meant to be taken too seriously, its just alot of cars going very fast to promote the motor show.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    that really seems like it shouldnt count because its on a mile long runway and its closed off...shouldnt top speed in the city be the fastest person they've ever caught speeding?
    So when land speed records are being taken, the person has to be speeding? I don't think Thrust SSC recieved a speeding fine after it broke the record It's just the fastest speed recorded on land in London. That airport is in London and thus is it a viable place. More than a gimmick than anything however.

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche
    It's London ... getting above 15mph is a bloody record !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks
    the whole thing is a set up, the fact the Guiness will support it is a disgrace, what kind of a speed record..but o well whatever attracts more people to the show
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    How much of a rolling start? I really doubt 180mph on a one mile airfield will be possible.
    From the size of a normal access road to a runway, I would say they would be hitting the straight at 60 to 80 mph. A good benchmark would be Top Gear's runs. Haven't they hit like 170 mph when they go for it (But, I don't remember the car or when they did it).

Amazes me that they can actually close a runway in what must be one of the busiest airports in the world, just for a marketing stunt. Maybe it's going to be held on a monday from 1 am to 5 am. Seriously now, I wonder who wins from this? Is London marketing itself as an extreme destination?

I sincerely hope it doesn't rain or have dense fog! It wouldn't be fun to try to determine your braking point at those speeds in fog.
    Zag when they Zig

i got an idea...
    i am going to hire a boat and park up at the docks... then whenever a car overruns and heads for the water it falls on to the boat... then once i got enough i will sell my days work on E-Bay...
    The perfect crime...
    LOL
    You type without knowledge, you are 'a keyboard warrior - lots of mouth, little brain....

Quote Originally Posted by Vaigra
    It depends on what kind of cars they use, but in a standing mile from Road & Track the Saleen S7TT got to 171.8mph and the Hennessey Viper got to 178.1mph. That would leave about 2500 feet to stop. At 3/4 mile the S7TT was at 193.0mph and the Viper was at 199.7mph. That would leave about 1100 feet to stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Clique
    i got an idea...
    i am going to hire a boat and park up at the docks... then whenever a car overruns and heads for the water it falls on to the boat... then once i got enough i will sell my days work on E-Bay...
    The perfect crime...
    LOL
    You went into my brain and stole my idea, bitch!

In a city where they get ticketed by cops for going a few mph above the limits, does all this make sense?
    John Buffum was the man.

UCP's most violent member; a lump of destructive energy.

MOTOR got a Gallardo to 293kmh down a runway, and i think the 996 GT2 went faster than that
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    MOTOR got a Gallardo to 293kmh down a runway, and i think the 996 GT2 went faster than that
    How long a runway though. You'd have to have some serious bit of acceleration and amazing brakes to get above 160 and stop too within one mile . As nobleman said above, it was a S7TT and a Hennesey Viper, they aren't really "normal" cars such as the Gallardo.
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

The MOTOR runway was 2 k long, not including stopping area, so yeah, insane speeds aren't going to be possible for more than a few seconds.

still, great publicity.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Thread Information