Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: University of Toronto FSAE 2006....

University of Toronto FSAE 2006....

University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

you have more info, or a website on your project?
    Driver for Ultimatecarpage.competition
    Team Manager of Ultimatecarpage.competition

NGT Champion ZAC2 League
    Team Champion ZAC2 League
    NGT Champion ZAC3 League
    Team Champion ZAC3 League

Pic #2 ... is that some positive camber on the outside wheels from suspension compression or is it just tyre deflection ?

Was that a design deicision or the fall-out from another choice ??? :intrigued:
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Pic #2 ... is that some positive camber on the outside wheels from suspension compression or is it just tyre deflection ?

Was that a design deicision or the fall-out from another choice ??? :intrigued:

That is just a car with no setup on 3 years old worn tire...

we got ~ 4 degrees of front and rear camber adjustment, on the front we also have quite a bit of cambergain from steering through caster and kingpin....we should be alright in that respect....

the car should get less than 2 degree of roll at peak 2 g lateral accel....

I think the website in in my sig....though the page is not quite up to date as to whats happening to 2006 car...
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Looks Great! Congrats on being driving already.
    Quote Originally Posted by RacingManiac
    ...3 years old worn tire...
    i was gonna ask how old those were. we have a set of GY (165?) also about that old but they have not been stored right and all have a crack that runs around the circumfrance of the sidewall.

Are the panels on the footbox stress skins? Is the paper masking more panels or is that your "bodywork" for testing?

Have you run the flat top roll hoops in the past, have the judges been OK with them? Maybe its because theyre call roll HOOPs, but ive have never seen the advantage of the flat top.

In the 2nd pic there are rodends and shafts coming down from the front bellcranks but how are they connected to the anti-roll bar?

Are you coming to FSAEWest?
    Thanks for the info.
    You're way ahead of my team! (I only just brought the tubes for our hoops to the bender yesterday!) But we're only going to West which is a month later and most of our parts are being machined over break.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyperl
    Looks Great! Congrats on being driving already.

i was gonna ask how old those were. we have a set of GY (165?) also about that old but they have not been stored right and all have a crack that runs around the circumfrance of the sidewall.

Are the panels on the footbox stress skins? Is the paper masking more panels or is that your "bodywork" for testing?

Have you run the flat top roll hoops in the past, have the judges been OK with them? Maybe its because theyre call roll HOOPs, but ive have never seen the advantage of the flat top.

In the 2nd pic there are rodends and shafts coming down from the front bellcranks but how are they connected to the anti-roll bar?

Are you coming to FSAEWest?
    Thanks for the info.
    You're way ahead of my team! (I only just brought the tubes for our hoops to the bender yesterday!) But we're only going to West which is a month later and most of our parts are being machined over break.
    Yes the skins are all stressed, we actually have the bare frame pic on our website and you can sorta see where the panels filled in. We wraped painters tape around the tube so the paint job on the a-arms and whatnot won't be scratched. This is the first year we run the flat top hoop but it is not uncommon in the competition. And due to the way we packaged the driver this year the hoop height was lower than before.

There is a very(and I mean very, ~3") small droplink that connects the rollbar from the front bellcrank. It picks up on the pushrod to bellcrank bolt single sheared on one side. Not the most elegant way but we've done this in the past(pull rod though).

It was important for us to have the car running last weekend as where we ran the car will not be available for the rest of the summer. And now we are searching for more venue where we can test the car. The weather here in Toronto is acutally unbelievably gorgeous right now that its a shame we don't have a place to go.....

We will only be going to the Michigan competition then Formula Student in july to defend our title last year(free entry helps). West was looked at but the schedule is quite tight....

Good luck on your car and I'll need some for ours....lol
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Oh, thats right. You guys won FS!
    We wanted to do stress skins (used AL panels last year) but none of us knew any FEA at the time the equivalency was due and there arent many other reasonable options. You guys must have done well. In the bare frame pic you don't have any side impact members.
    Thanks for the info. I'm off to finish our cost report...

ours was done yesterday...lol

we've been running the tub section with the carbon panel since 2002, so we have a bit of a headstart on that front. This year we added one more bend to the tub panels to get the structure tighter and hopefully stiffer(torsion test tonight actually), and we've extended the panels to the front bulkhead as with equivelency we can save some weight on the new front bulkhead requirement, as well as beef up the front suspension mounting.....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

updates

www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Nice pics mate!!
    Care to tell a bit about your car and what and where..
    Tryed the homepage in your sig. But hard to find just some easy info.
    What engien is it? black-bird 900?
    Is it some kind of auto-cross racing? all those cones seems a bit auto-cross
    And did i figure it out right if this is all going on in school?
    Whis we had schools like this here up north to :dreaming:

The competition is called Formula SAE, which is a collegiate design series for University/college all over the world. There are several official events:
    Formula SAE(primary competition, 140 entrants, happens in May in Michigan)
    Formula SAE West(new event this year, open to 70 schools I think, primarily to allow more schools to compete as the 140 entrant is not really enough, happens in California in June)
    Formula Student(First European Competition and first one outside of F-SAE, 70+ entrant with mainly european schools, including ones from Finland and Sweden, happens in Leisterceire in July)
    Formula SAE Australasia(First far eastern competition, happens a week before Christmas, entrants mainly consists of Australian schools and now Korean, Japan, India...etc)
    Formula SAE Brazil
    Formula SAE Italy...

The rules are simple, 610cc max displacement, with ~20mm restrictor(adjusted for different fuel spec), openwheel, single seater for autoX course, with theoretical sticker price for the car of 25000 USD(if we were to mass produce the product, the cars built are considered as prototype).

Our car is powered by a CBR600 F4i motor, and it weighs around 450lb without driver. With ~70 RWHP....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Nice!
    And you ar driving one car? Does your school contribute with more cars in the events or is it one car per school?

In the US events you are only allowed one car per school, and it has to be new. In Formula Student you are allowed to have a new car and you can enter an year old car as well....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Looking good!
    Did you move the muffler onto the left side of the car? I couldnt convince my teammates to do the same. Since we're going to LA they wanted two radiators.

Yeah we moved the muffler to the right of the cockpit, the only thing I worry about that is noise, since it may reverberate with the ground....
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Thread Information