Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a car to buy. I need help.

Looking for a car to buy. I need help.

Hi all, I just wanted to ask everyone in here for a little help with choosing whic car to buy, for my first one. I'm looking for a Toyota Corolla between the years 86-92. Not a station wagon and definetely a manual transmission. I was wonder what can you buys tell me about this car. To be honest i know very little and anything you can tell me would be great. All i know is they are supposed to be very well balanced and be "good" for drifting, or so i heard. Like i said whatever you can tell me would be great. Thanks in advanced.
    Must learn more.

Someone may correct me, but the AE86 engined coupe is the one to get. This was racing well after it ceased manufacture on club circuits.
    We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt
    Someone may correct me, but the AE86 engined coupe is the one to get. This was racing well after it ceased manufacture on club circuits.
    Can some one tell me a little more about the car. I'm looking for it to have rwd but all the cars i see have fwd.
    Must learn more.

We work to live, and to live is to drive a BMW 330i at speed.

https://www.facebook.com/BMW330iMSport/

Quote Originally Posted by kiwitt
    Thanks a lot, i appreaciate it. Now i have to figure out where i can find one and what is a goood price for it if it would be in a good condition.
    Must learn more.

I know that Corollas vary widely from one market to another. Maybe if you could tell us your location we could be of more help.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Well when i was detailing i got to drive the 00 current body style and i found it asurpsingly good drive though its interior was sapcious it also was very bland and this was the standard model 5 door hatch i was driveing but as i said all in all not bad.

check out the isuzu impulse, especially the 80's versions. Many had 2.2 liter engines and rwd.

in the 90's, some got turbo, awd, and lotus tuned suspension (isuzu built engines for lotus) but had a smaller 1.6L engine.

Either would be a fun car, and the earlier would probably be pretty decent for drifting, if that's your bag.

Ps, they are cheap cars with real nice ones going for 5k in the us.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

why would you want the 88-92 corolla which btw is the AE92 not the AE86 the AE86 is the 85-87 GTS model with the 16 valve 124hp engine and RWD in 1980 toyota turned to a FWD setup like their competitors for better traction in adverse conditions.
    "If you feel like you're in control you're not going fast enough" - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by mechanixfetch
    in 1980 toyota turned to a FWD setup like their competitors for better traction in adverse conditions.
    AKA Made the connection between the safe halding characteristics of FWD and what their consumer base wanted, making it no longer such a fun car to drive

KarateBoy, just out of curiosity, what lead you to want this car, as opposed to any other?

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    AKA Made the connection between the safe halding characteristics of FWD and what their consumer base wanted, making it no longer such a fun car to drive

KarateBoy, just out of curiosity, what lead you to want this car, as opposed to any other?
    I haven't let fully decided if i will get it but i like the idea that's so light and that many of the articles i have read about say it is very well balanced and good for drifting "which is my bag"

I'll check out that isuzu impulse, sounds like it would be to my liking, although 5K is sorta steep for me.

One a final note, i believe that the ae86s had RWD and as it has been stated before those came out between the years 85-87
    Must learn more.

the pImpulses normally go for MUCH cheaper than 5k...but this one was really nice, turboed, repainted, carbon fiber hood, etc. Still only 5k! Keep your eye on ebay, they pop up everyonce in a while and are usually overlooked cause it's an Isuzu.

You'll probably pay more for the ae86 because it's a bit of a collector car.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich
    the pImpulses normally go for MUCH cheaper than 5k...but this one was really nice, turboed, repainted, carbon fiber hood, etc. Still only 5k! Keep your eye on ebay, they pop up everyonce in a while and are usually overlooked cause it's an Isuzu.

You'll probably pay more for the ae86 because it's a bit of a collector car.
    That makes a little but more sense to me because an old car like that for 5K was a bit of a shocker for me. I want a stock car so i can do the modifications my self and therefore learn more about cars and have lots of fun at the same time.
    Must learn more.

I need a few suggestions. I checked out the isuzu impulse and it's pretty heavy. One of the maine reasons i liked the Trueno/Corolla is because it relatively light so it can somewhat move. The impulse seems like it can lose pretty badly to a civic but i think i would need some more information on it. How do you think is the car "drift-wise" and weight distribution. Also is a AE86 RWD made in the US or would i have to import it?

Edit: What do you guys think of a nissan 240sx? What can you tell me bout it?
    Last edited by KarateBoy; 03-17-2004 at 07:04 PM.
    Must learn more.

Hm...if you have to import that car (and I think you do if you're in the US), then it's not an option. Importation costs are huge, and will EASILY outweigh the cost of the car itself.

As for the pimpulse, I have no idea weight distribution or anything else, I just know it's 2.2L with RWD, not a bad combo if spinning your tires while going around in circles is your thing.

Other option: the older celica (79 ish) was RWD with a solid axle and a reasonable 4 banger. There are actually plenty of small cars with similar properties. It depends how big you want to go and how powerful.

AMC hornets and AMX's had V8 options with fairly short wheelbases. Imagine a 304 with a 96" wheelbase....vroooooooooooooooooooooooooooom skreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

ROR

Thread Information