Thread: Opel Omega 3L v6

Opel Omega 3L v6

I'm curently in Taiwan and are planing to stay for a 3 year period.
    I'm looking for a rear weel driven car and that is hard to find here, but I com across a few Omegas with 3 litre engine, but they have automatic transmision.
    How mutch work is it into changing the gearbox?
    Is the crankshaft the same for converter and for traditional flyweel or do I nead to change the crankshaft?
    Is the mounting on the engine the same?
    Is the lenght of the gearbox the same so I can keep the original driveshaft?
    The rest is no worry.
    I don't mind welding and cutting.

I can get one of those omegas for less than 2500€ so I think it's a good deal

**looks as tumbleweed tumbles past**
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

the only rwd readily available on the taiwanese market are the likes of bmw, mercedes, lexus, etc more upmarket cars so i guess this would be a great find, bang for bucks for wat its worth, but u'd have to pay more consumption tax for being a 3L.

The only thing that limits cars with auto transmissions is that taiwanese tuners/mechanics have no idea of how to really modify an automatic gearbox, because they seem to think that manual transmission is be all and end all (which is absolute bullshit, if anyone has been in a worked automatic gearbox for race/street/dragracing u will know what i mean) so good luck in finding a mechanic that knows a lot about automatic gearboxes.

everyone there will tell u that on auto trannies u cannot go past 1.0 bar, bullshit! of course u can! all u need is a stall converter, manual shifter and the rest well they would know what to do (everything else other than transmission) since there is quite a lot of skills and knowledge in the car/modification industry

http://www.bmracing.com

they sell some accessories related to tricked up automatic gearboxes, there's a lotta sites that sell this kinda stuff u just have to look for it. but it looks like u'll be spending a lot of time trying to explain to the mechanics how automatic gearboxes can be superior to manual gearboxes

dats ma 50 cents

I found 2 opel omegas for less than 2500€

I want manual gearbox because I like driving manual and not because some Taiwanese grease monkey told me so.

I plan to do the work myself, but befour doing annything I want to know the diferences of all components so I don't end up with the car in 1000 pices and gearbox that do not fitt.

Autos are in 95% of the cars here so it's hard to find a manual and 90% is FWD so combination manual and RWD is close to imposible

Might it work out cheaper to source a cheap manual-trans jap import?

Holden Commodores are reasonably similar to Opel; if the engine block/bellhousing bolt-pattern is interchangable between manual/auto (ie no adaptor required) etc plus flexplate/flywheel etc .. then to convert you'd need to source a trans, flywheel, pressure plate + clutch plate & linkages (hydraulic or cable actuation?), shifter & possibly shift-linkages if external, g'box crossmember & mount, pedals, transmission-tunnel mods, gearlever boot, maybe a speedo drive etc, plus incidentals. And more than a few cold beers

For 2500 euro + eventual conversion costs included, you might not be to far off what it costs to purchase then ship & import a 'cheapy' Commodore (or Falcon) with original factory-manual trans all the way from here to Taiwan!

Quote Originally Posted by nota

If I want som jap import I have to buy a Honda S2000 since that is the only rear weel driven car I can find here at the local dealers.

Holden Commodores are reasonably similar to Opel; if the engine block/bellhousing bolt-pattern is interchangable between manual/auto (ie no adaptor required)
    Thats my question and are the driveshaft the same lenght and is the conection on the crankshaft the same for manual and autos? Must be someone out there doing convercions befour.

For 2500 euro + eventual conversion costs included, you might not be to far off what it costs to purchase then ship & import a 'cheapy' Commodore (or Falcon) with original factory-manual trans all the way from here to Taiwan!
    I had a hell of a time to get my work visa and I'm not ready to fight with some goverment oficials again yet. Import car's is 70% tax if my informants are right.

not just 70% stamp duty tax but also have to pass emission laws, compoenents of the car which may deemed to be legal or not legal, etc etc sourcing a right hand drive jap import will be way too much for your time and money to be wasted on something that could be bought with relatively modest budget.

your best bet is to buy a second hand s2000, opel speedster (they have manual and are damn fast) or hell even an buick sedans 3.1 put twin turbo's in them and there u have a modern version of the GRAND NATIONAL

i still stand corrected, it would be cheaper to modify the auto box than to do a manual transmission, unless u want to climb the mountains of taiwan (which can be quite challenging)

i'd stick with the auto tho ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by Ginja Ninja
    not just 70% stamp duty tax but also have to pass emission laws, compoenents of the car which may deemed to be legal or not legal, etc etc sourcing a right hand drive jap import will be way too much for your time and money to be wasted on something that could be bought with relatively modest budget.

your best bet is to buy a second hand s2000, opel speedster (they have manual and are damn fast) or hell even an buick sedans 3.1 put twin turbo's in them and there u have a modern version of the GRAND NATIONAL

i still stand corrected, it would be cheaper to modify the auto box than to do a manual transmission, unless u want to climb the mountains of taiwan (which can be quite challenging)

i'd stick with the auto tho ^_^
    S2000 is a rear car to come across and the opel speedster is not imported to Taiwan(I checked 1 year ago) Reanult clio V6 same storry and lotus don't even have a dealer.

I like the feel of manual, that's it.
    My worry is if I buy a omega and get the gearbox maybe it's longer or shorter so I have to change the lenght of my drivshaft. And maybe the bolt pethern on the crankshaft is not the same for auto and manual or not the same on the gear housing. Would be a shame to sitt in the garadge with a car in 100 pices and a gearbox I can't use.

Proper planing is 1/2 the jobb and I try to do it so I don't regret later.

Holden Commodores are reasonably similar to Opel; if the engine block/bellhousing bolt-pattern is interchangable between manual/auto (ie no adaptor required) etc plus flexplate/flywheel etc .. then to convert you'd need to source a trans, flywheel, pressure plate + clutch plate & linkages (hydraulic or cable actuation?), shifter & possibly shift-linkages if external, g'box crossmember & mount, pedals, transmission-tunnel mods, gearlever boot, maybe a speedo drive etc, plus incidentals. And more than a few cold beers

Only Holden done it better
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

LOL get out

there's a couple of opel speedster's i saw on http://www.carnews.com.tw second hand car section, all resonably priced too (for what its worth)

also there's a lot of old school buick and cadillac as well, those wouldbe much better than fwd turbo that dominate most part of the car culture/car scene

taiwan has the highest percentage of mercedes benz sedans ownership in the world (per capita that is) there u go just buy yourself a mercedes benz

LOL get out

there's a couple of opel speedster's i saw on http://www.carnews.com.tw second hand car section, all resonably priced too (for what its worth)

also there's a lot of old school buick and cadillac as well, those wouldbe much better than fwd turbo that dominate most part of the car culture/car scene

taiwan has the highest percentage of mercedes benz sedans ownership in the world (per capita that is) there u go just buy yourself a mercedes benz
    I'm looking for a car! not a Mercedes. I'm trying to keep my dignety. There are lot of BMW to but the simalaretys betwen mercedes, bmw and hemorides is that only ass-holes have them.

Buick and cadillac ok, but I could also buy a old russian tank.
    I would prefere a holden if I could find one.

Seriously opel don't import speedster, but maybe some private has imported from dealer in Philipines or malaisia.

Where are you from annyway? I can not read shit of what is on http://www.carnews.com.tw/

I have now ben able to read it and those two Opel speedsters are a good deal if you live in europe and a european salary, I would call it a good deal if I was living in my native Norway, but I live in Taiwan and I make about 1000€ a mounth. I'm staying for 3 years so a investment like this is stupid

u'll never find a holden in taiwan, the closest thing they ever got to holden was a vy S commodore which was a demo car sent to the international motorshow. and seriously, to own a holden in places like taiwan is expensive, think of the consumption tax per year, insurance and by god the quality of the holdens ^^ its not worth it

just keep that omega standard mate, but if u must, i have also read in december issue of options magazine of a 3L omega like yours thats turbocharged up to 400hp on stock auto transmission so there u can, can still be done, unless u want a fwd RS focus or something otherwise finding a budget rwd car in taiwan is next to impossible

and by god the quality of the holdens
    Compared to what - the 'quality' of Opel?

(Opel kopen - altijd lopen) dats ma 50 cents

u'll never find a holden in taiwan, the closest thing they ever got to holden was a vy S commodore which was a demo car sent to the international motorshow. and seriously, to own a holden in places like taiwan is expensive, think of the consumption tax per year, insurance and by god the quality of the holdens ^^ its not worth it

just keep that omega standard mate, but if u must, i have also read in december issue of options magazine of a 3L omega like yours thats turbocharged up to 400hp on stock auto transmission so there u can, can still be done, unless u want a fwd RS focus or something otherwise finding a budget rwd car in taiwan is next to impossible
    Torbocharging is no no.
    If you drive modefyed car and get stopped you have a ticket.
    I will stick with orginal engine, only polish manifoils and a k&n filter and maybe som chiping, that the police wont find.

The automatic transmsion will hold everything I will trow at it. The only problem is that I love manual. I like clutching, I had manual befour, but my last car was automatic and I hated it(my father loved it and are still using it)

Thread Information