Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shaker hood

shaker hood

Can someone explain to me or give me a link that explains what the purpose of a functional shaker hood was in muscle cars such as the trans am and the barracuda?

my bad, you could ignore the other thread i accidentally reposted

Is there such a thing as a functional shaker hood? It's just like ram air tho.
    Plus, most shaker hoods had an intake going into the engine compartment.
    Last edited by johnnynumfiv; 04-03-2006 at 05:48 PM.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

well, other than what johnny said, all it really does is shake. Basically just amarketing gimmick
    eat cicada

Shakers like on this '71 Ford Falcon GT-HO is functional. Its attached directly onto the top of the aircleaner housing and when the throttle is opened past a certain point the engine develops enough vaccum to open a flap inside the scoop which delivers cool outside air (ie: cooler than underbonnet air) straight down the guts of the carby. Cooler intake-air temp = more power. It also bypasses the aircleaner, so less impedance to the intake air 'charge'. At speed there's a slight 'ram effect' (a very mild form of supercharging) and combined with the cooler air this enables the engine to develop more power

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...9&d=1126442426

btw the Shaker in my pic was signed by Allan Moffat, Ford AU's premier race-driver of 'factory' GT-HOs & multi Bathurst winner

The reason its called a "shaker", is because unlike most hood scoops that were part of the sheet metal of the hood, the shaker scoop was a functional scoop that was part of the engine intake, and poked threw a hole in the hood. The "shaker" name came from the fact that the scoop would vibrate with the engine and shake from side to side as the engine torqued in the engine bay.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    Is there such a thing as a functional shaker hood? It's just like ram air tho.
    Plus, most shaker hoods had an intake going into the engine compartment.

last time i checked the shaker hood on my mustang was functional...its made to grab air and look cool basically...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

What Johnny meant was that the actual shaking of the hood has nothing to do with performance. It's just made to look cool. However, a shaker HOOD DOES increase performance because like any other hood scoop, it sucks cooler air into the engine bay resulting in more power.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    What Johnny meant was that the actual shaking of the hood has nothing to do with performance. It's just made to look cool. However, a shaker HOOD DOES increase performance because like any other hood scoop, it sucks cooler air into the engine bay resulting in more power.
    What he said, and what you now claim he meant to say - are two entirely different things

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    What he said, and what you now claim he meant to say - are two entirely different things
    Yeah, you're right I guess. I read his post too fast, but we're essentially saying the same thing. (The only difference being that Johnny thinks ram-air isn't that effective)

Shakers really are cool to sit behind. Unlike that Lexus advert, you'd never be able to rest your glass on one, let alone keep any water in it!

theres a lexus with a shaker hood?
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    theres a lexus with a shaker hood?
    No, I mean where they place a glass of water on the engine, then rev it up with barely a ripple

Hes talking about Jurrasic Park

you know the rings in the water then "oohh No behind us ahhhhh"
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    last time i checked the shaker hood on my mustang was functional...its made to grab air and look cool basically...
    I'm talking about those of the muscle car era, most of them weren't functional and a sales gimick. Most of those shaker hoods had a intake that pulled in air from the engine compartment too. I would think that a cowl hood would be more functional than a shaker.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information