Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New cars are boring and too huge

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Sounds like everyone needs to get along to the nearest kit car show asap
    Yeah, either that or everyone just need to emigrate over here!

This thread seemed seemed like it was calling me to go off on one about the size of the BMW mini, but I shan't... I... Grrrr.... Arrrghhh! No. No ranting. Not today.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    The thing is that if today's manufacturers stopped making such big cars everybody would rant and complain and then the whole car world would start again. This would mean a huge decrease of sales at first then a boom afterwards. But manufacturers are trying to make continous booms without the decrease. Either that, or people would stop buying cars and then less emissions and etc etc etc and finally we're all healthy green people.

Shame it's not going to happen

I wanted to go to the BCIAS. But had to much work to do. Maybe next year.

Seriously ?
    Yeah my "family head" would say getting a new Golf was the right move, but my heart would ALWAYS chose the original GTi Less lardy
    Amen.

Seriously ?
    Yeah my "family head" would say getting a new Golf was the right move, but my heart would ALWAYS chose the original GTi Less lardy
    There was one of those at work today. I think the love of the origional is a case of rose tinted glasses, taking the mk1s available today over the mk5s is stupid, unless you want to put then 10k you saved into restoring one?

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    There was one of those at work today. I think the love of the origional is a case of rose tinted glasses, taking the mk1s available today over the mk5s is stupid, unless you want to put then 10k you saved into restoring one?
    A Mk1 GTi is a regular at Knockhill.

I assure you, you would take the original (even tho this example is bright orange) over the lard-one every time
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

I suppose that largely depends on your priorities really.

By all accounts the MkV GTI is a fine car to drive, maybe not as great as the MkI, however the fact that you've got a modern, well built car that is comfortable, has lots of room, has all mod-cons, is significantly safer, etc, etc, more than makes up for the loss of any dynamic performance for many people.

GTI mkI vs Lupo GTI is a more realistic comparison, anyway.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    So I went to the Auto Show today - they had a couple Elises there which totally stood out and got everyone's attention, even next to all the M6s, M5s, Lamborghinis, etc. Also, it seems that all new cars (even 'compact cars') are now massive. Makes me angry. I used to go to the Auto Show and spend 2 or 3 hours, but I could only stand to be there 45 minutes today. 90% of new cars look totally bland, and 9% of the remaining 10% are designed by people with a terrible concept of "daring styling". The current auto industry is in a very boring place.

Rant over
    The bloated look makes them look bigger than they are.
    Going by actual measurements, most of today's "mid-sized" cars would be classified as "compact" car in the '60s and '70s. And most of today's "full-sized" cars would be called "mid-sized in the '60s and '70s.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

because big cars have higher profit margins....
    the bigger they make the cars, the more they can charge u for it because theylr "more safe"
    the profit margins are really low on cars like Yaris or Fit.

on top of that.. most people tend to not like the idea of a small car with a high price like the Elise... manufacturers can probably make a smaller car just as safe as larger cars, but that's gonna cost more to make and no one's gonna buy them due to higher price...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    The bloated look makes them look bigger than they are.
    Going by actual measurements, most of today's "mid-sized" cars would be classified as "compact" car in the '60s and '70s. And most of today's "full-sized" cars would be called "mid-sized in the '60s and '70s.
    Thank god not everybody lives in America.

Thread Information