7 25.00%
  • 10+

10 35.71%
  • never

7 25.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Orleans

New Orleans

How long do you guys think it will take New Orleans to recover to its full state?

im getting desperate, finding any reason to try and convince my relatives to take me there.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Considering the SIGNIFICANT damage to infrastructure, levies, etc.

I would be surprised if they managed it in less than 15 years.

and that would be returning it back to the way it was - if i was a city planner i'd be considering a better public transport system. because the city has essentially been swept clean, they can plan better infrastructure.
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I think 10+ or even never. The original citizens have found better lives in other states like Texas and even Utah. Plus there is always that thought in the back of everyones head, what if another stronger storm hits in the same spot? Why move back just to lose it all again. I remeber the mayor talking about rebuilding the city further inland away from the lower areas. But you have to remember most of the people whose homes were destroyed were poor.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?
    I think it will recover, but not real soon, 2-5 years. It's a big city, and its hard to wipe something like that out completely when it it can still be inhabited.
    .....likes NASCAR

5-10, lol curent poll stats 1-1-1-1-1

New Orleans will never be what it was before, though some would argue that this is not a bad thing. But it bothers me that -- seemingly deliberately -- government at all levels have conspired to prevent the people who lived in New Orleans from returning to their homes by their unwillingness to restore vital public utilities such as water and electricity. Additionally, while billions were thrown out almost randomly by the federal government right after the storm, now there is great reluctance to provide grants or loans for people to rebuild and return to the city.
    To me, all this adds up to an effort to ethnically cleanse the city of it's "undesirables" in places like the Lower Ninth Ward while maintaining it's population in wealthier -- and whiter -- neighborhoods. I find all of this very, very distasteful in a nation which is supposed to pride itself on treating all it's citizens equally.
    And so, I think the New Orleans which finally emerges from the effects of the storm, a decade or so down the road will consist of a tourist district surrounded by affluent neighborhoods. I suspect the total population will be less than half what it was last summer with the vast majority of the loss being blacks and poor people.
    Hope this wasn't too political, but it's the only way I could honestly answer the question.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    And so, I think the New Orleans which finally emerges from the effects of the storm, a decade or so down the road will consist of a tourist district surrounded by affluent neighborhoods. I suspect the total population will be less than half what it was last summer with the vast majority of the loss being blacks and poor people.
    Hope this wasn't too political, but it's the only way I could honestly answer the question.
    They'll probably try to make it Monaco.

New Orleans was just simply New Awleeans.. why change the damn place. Sure it had it's bad parts, but c'mon. (This isn't directed towards you blackcat, but more towards the rebuilding process)

My dad is in insurance, he has been at the re-building of a lot of storms, he was at Andrew, the old Worst Hurricane but hes told me this one has been worse but I haven't talked with him about how long he thinks it will take. But considering the way Florida bounced back after Andrew, I don't see why NO can't come back in 2-5 years. I do think though, that the NO sports teams will move out though...

New Orleans will never be what it was before, though some would argue that this is not a bad thing. But it bothers me that -- seemingly deliberately -- government at all levels have conspired to prevent the people who lived in New Orleans from returning to their homes by their unwillingness to restore vital public utilities such as water and electricity. Additionally, while billions were thrown out almost randomly by the federal government right after the storm, now there is great reluctance to provide grants or loans for people to rebuild and return to the city.
    To me, all this adds up to an effort to ethnically cleanse the city of it's "undesirables" in places like the Lower Ninth Ward while maintaining it's population in wealthier -- and whiter -- neighborhoods. I find all of this very, very distasteful in a nation which is supposed to pride itself on treating all it's citizens equally.
    It seems your 'ethnic cleansing' allegation might have a ring of truth, at least from most reports I've seen which reflect your dismal predictions. So far, much of the $$ seems directed towards white privilege and an enforced gentrification towards a kind of afluent residential theme park, with the most vulnerable and needly being either systematically ignored, or purged

I think its more of a case that the government is still deciding on what to do about the city's levee's and whether they should relocated them further into the city. There is a good chance that they may not reopen parts of the city due to the high probablity that they will be flooded again. If they do move the levee's further away from the Mississippi river it will increase the flood plane area decreasing the chance of the levee's failing again.
    Barnum's Law - You’ll never go broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public

The dyslexic version of Cyco

Civil disobedience is still disobedience

a nation which is supposed to pride itself on treating all it's citizens equally...
    is NOT the united states

unless you meant racially, then yeah it is as close as you can get
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang
    Plus there is always that thought in the back of everyones head, what if another stronger storm hits in the same spot? Why move back just to lose it all again. I remeber the mayor talking about rebuilding the city further inland away from the lower areas. But you have to remember most of the people whose homes were destroyed were poor.
    The government should have admitted its mistakes earlier and designed an great system of prevention about 10-20 years ago !!! They were warned by vaious countries/people that it sucked I remember an interview with a Dutch watertechnical engineer about 5 years back. He was outraged when he saw the situationand heard about the lack of effort they did to protect their citizens. The system was fundamentally wrong

And those wooden houses (I might be wrong but this is what I mostly see) wont stand for too long either with some wind. We make houses out of bricks. It might not look as good but our houses can take a lot more then wooden ones.

Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    He was outraged when he saw the situationand heard about the lack of effort they did to protect their citizens. The system was fundamentally wrong
    the army corps of engineers has been telling the mayor for the last few years (5-10+??) that the levee's were unacceptable, but the mayor had better things to spend it on than a simple fix (cocaine and himself) my grandparents know someone that knows him and they said he has a cocaine habit

sorry but i disagree, the mayor (black, may i remind you) has said that new orleans was and will remain a chocolate city...and seeing as it was his fault the devestation was as bad as it was, and also his responsibility to organize the rebuilding i would think he would make sure the black areas get more

even though the gangsters wont come back, after all they've found a better life here in houston... (we took in and now 250,000 refugees are living here, of which i wouldnt doubt it if 1/3 or more were using drugs and/or in a gang)after all, you cant get your drugs guns and welfare check in a city with no electricity

this may sound biased and outlandish, a stupid republican's view, but there is ALOT of truth to it,

Thread Information