Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: My car

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    hopefully that list of cheap mods i sent you will give your car some punch slick good luck with the car mate.
    Thanks mate hope so, But it's got some punch now one bloke on another forum questioned me about the stockiness of my ECU I said mate the guy who owned it before me fixed things when they broke thats it, He wouldn't pay for upgrades, He cut perfectly good springs to lower it his a cheap arse lol.
    The one on your list that got my attention the most is the off the mark response a car can feel so much sharper with a big leap off the mark
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I recorded some sounds of my phone stuck it on the dash and recorded a couple of highway trips
    Hope the link works cause it's the phone any try to get it on here just killed the quality, And the quality is pretty low as it is.

2nd gear highway entrance i was doing about 35, And slowed the power just over 45 so it wouldn't drop back to 1st, It was very low down in the rev range, Hit 5000rpm.
    The next was coming off the freeway slow car infront impatient guy driving the VP drop back to 1st seeya.
    I recorded this because i was told my car was only a 1st gear car and above 60-70 it was nothing. This is by people that havent seen or herd it in the flesh or even know me. I'm just the owner i know nothing

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/...6&d=1148439241

I wanted to run by you guys some plans i have for the VeePee in the next 13 months.
    I'm asking around way ahead of time to get it done right.
    I want a Ecoterc engine stuck into my car with my tranny.
    Been talking to people and because the VR had the Buick engine with VS Auto the engine will fit in thats easy. But the ecotec engine does have some more extras, So my ECU will need to be Reworked to handle the engine and i might need to see someone about some wires here and there that might need to be set up, I'm told the timing for the ecotec engine is lower then the Buick engine. So looks like if i have this done i will spend most of the time with ECU experts.
    I will also need to notify Vic roads and see if all this change over needs a report or anything.
    Then i would also like to slot a new diff in, $900+ for a stock standard diff, $1200 LSD with 3.9 gears or lower or higher if i chose, LSD would be better it's not much more expensive.

But with the engine in my car with the VP ECU i could have it stock and make 130rwkw I'm told. And top that with my transmission and not the electronic transmission that negates take off from VR-VY and it will be a rocket.

I can pick up a Engine now second hand for $500 160,000km, Or $800 for 90,000km, Not sure if a VX engine is suited to this car at all. But i will need every single thing connected to the engine, My radiator will be good enough.
    Rebuild my engine it will be $3000 and thats not including some accessors. So i think for half that price i could get something smoother as the ecotec is more reliable quieter (even though myn is very quite) better on fuel and it could give me a good 5-10 years easy with the km we drive it would last 15 years.

What you blokes think? This won't happen until June July next year and by then i might change my mind but not to likely.
    I was thinking of the V6 supercharged engine but $3000 second hand lol.

I'm tipping ecotec engine matted to my transmission with the electronic crap aside and LSD 3.9 i think the 1/4's might be sub 15 easy. Drive-line now is 50% new and it feels new, Wish i could have done the diff now.
    I have always believed the Ecotec engine was negated restricted by it's electronic transmission on take offs, After speaking to herrod about my brothers car i believe this even more, Ford has a max 1300rpm auto converter take off which is set in the tranny so as they say Granny's don't burn rubber and do 180's, A VS Commodore with 147kw 305Nm @ 1360kg should have been the fastest Commodore it should be scaring the daylights out of SV6's. But it don't.

[QUOTE=SlickHolden]

Ford has a max 1300rpm auto converter take off
    Thats your torque converter stall speed, you need a high rpm stall converter
    say 2000-2500rpm for street use, you can go higher bit it becomes a pain for day to day driving, with a shift kit in the auto you would be laughing

I have always believed the Ecotec engine was negated restricted by it's electronic transmission on take offs,
    The ECU controls this, on the ecotec the timing is retarded at low rpm below 1500rpm for greater engine/driveline smoothness, an ecu mod would cure this problem and give the motor more mumbo.

Rebuild my engine it will be $3000 and thats not including some accessors.

Is that for a fairly modified engine or one built to stock specs.A S/C V6 would have plenty of mumbo, I think CAPA etc do kits for the V6. You could always go the V8 route, rocket industries sells crates engine brand new through street machine for redicuously cheap prices. As they say there is no substitute for cubic inches
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

An Ecotec with a modified computer to remove the timing retardation would make your VP a rocket at the lights combined with a shorter gearded LSD.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by charged

Thats your torque converter stall speed, you need a high rpm stall converter
    say 2000-2500rpm for street use, you can go higher bit it becomes a pain for day to day driving, with a shift kit in the auto you would be laughing

The ECU controls this, on the ecotec the timing is retarded at low rpm below 1500rpm for greater engine/driveline smoothness, an ecu mod would cure this problem and give the motor more mumbo.

Is that for a fairly modified engine or one built to stock specs.A S/C V6 would have plenty of mumbo, I think CAPA etc do kits for the V6. You could always go the V8 route, rocket industries sells crates engine brand new through street machine for redicuously cheap prices. As they say there is no substitute for cubic inches
    Pretty stock a rebuild of my engine, If i was paid out $3000 for a rebuild i would expect a modified engine for that price something 170kw. I can get a change over for about $1800 but i believe change overs are generic parts used.
    There was a bloke that got a V6/SC engine new for $6000 with tranny i think?
    What type of shift kits are out there? I have herd some blokes that have my tranny have complained about some ruff changes at times, They were saying there is less rev drops in the changes, Shift kit drops 200-300 none shift kit 400 rpm. I swear my changes drop only 200-300 how does that work out

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    An Ecotec with a modified computer to remove the timing retardation would make your VP a rocket at the lights combined with a shorter gearded LSD.
    Hope so and it would give me a good serves to, There are some guys over at the JustCommodore Forums that tune Memcals, And they can advance the engines timming pretty easy one bloke says the car with my ecu will be good for 120-130 RWKW Thats bloody good for stock my car now should only be 90-100rwkw.
    When it comes to Diff gears i get lost a tad, Right now it's a 3.08 And other then 3.9 I'm not sure what is out there maybe a 3.9 is a touch to short for a daily maybe one day down the drag strip car.

But after this i want to concentrate on the look thats next maybe one day have it all done up nice and a touch rare, But i still want another car but doing this up will make it harder.

As they say there is no substitute for cubic inches
    There is.
    Boost.
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    When it comes to Diff gears i get lost a tad, Right now it's a 3.08 And other then 3.9 I'm not sure what is out there maybe a 3.9 is a touch to short for a daily maybe one day down the drag strip car.
    IIRC HSV uses 3.4something on their autos and 3.7something for the manual
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    There is.
    Boost.
    I love hairdryers, bit I think Slick is after NA power, although
    a 3.8 with twin turbs would be cool, although Im sure the nissan V6 would fit. Mate has an old bluebird sleeper with a 3l v6 with a stinkin big turbo made 620hp on the engine dyno
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I love hairdryers, bit I think Slick is after NA power, although
    a 3.8 with twin turbs would be cool, although Im sure the nissan V6 would fit. Mate has an old bluebird sleeper with a 3l v6 with a stinkin big turbo made 620hp on the engine dyno
    i've been seeing a lot of VN's and VS's with intercoolers, apparently people are swapping in supra and skyline engines new trend maybe
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

There is a guy on the JC forum with a single supercharger and the other day he was side by side with a SS. I have seen 1 or 2 with turbo's there also.
    If i had that much $$$$ i would go for the TTV6

I been starting slowly getting into the car now here are some things i have done, It's been good and bad but thats this car it seems.

First thing i did was get new taillight looms, Gives it the 5 brake light Calais look, Brighter then ever now looks great, When doing that i checked my parcel shelf globe and it snapped inside the light. As you will see bad always comes with the good since i have had this car.
    I changed the brake light switch as it's been lighting up the brake lights very late, I want people to know I'm stopping so they don't punt me up the rear, So off i go to the holden dealers and buy one, The old one took 1 hour to remove it just wouldn't come out, So finally it's out and i stick the new one in, But it's worse then the old one I'm thinking WTF!?, Spoke to some blokes on the Commodore forums and they told me to adjust it back as the switch only needs to just touch the brake to set it off, So i did that and then realised there was nothing wrong with the old switch it was just not adjusted right.

Next Job The oxygen sensor one of the last things i can think of to fix the fuel problems, Took my brother 3min off and on it went It came out black like charcoal there was god knows what on it it was DOA.
    Rest the ECU and was off i had about a 1/4 left in fuel my regular tank is 260km, I added $10 in and ran that tank to 348km????? Could it be fixed??? Only a full tank will know 100%. But on the down side the car seems to be ghugging when warm after sitting for a couple of min till it moves off. It's not as bad today hasn't done it once. Performance seems fine and the idle on warming is spot on and it's running better, It doesn't seem to be smelling as rich.

Next i have had to doors that don't work right, Back passenger door will open but not lock with the central locking, And the drivers door just wont work.
    So i went to the wreckers and bought 2 motors for it.
    Got into the back door first my god it's tight changed the motor and stuck it back in and it opens but won't close?. (here we go again). I played with it for 30min and looked closely it's so dirty and tight it must be so stiff it wont lock it, So i grabbed the trusty WD40 And gave it a hit bang she works 100% now Next drivers door F**K You holden! The motor is right to the side with a gap that could have a 4 year olds hand stuck in, So the only way to get it out is to take a part of what holds the window up out, Then just get the hands in and pull it out, OK 10min of going and the motor wont get high enough for me to get the screwdriver into, So i have to pop it in a hole to undo it, Got it out and replaced it, Bastard wont work, Fiddle some more hey hey it works now, Fight like hell to get it back in problem it only opens and wont close, I'm thinking it's like the back door give it a spray, No it's more then that and for the life of me i can't figure this one out all is connected up it's perfect. So i think i have been out there all day enough is enough, I can't get the window frame in as it's popped the window out and it's stuffed I'm thinking WTF Now?. It starts to bloody rain so i grab the window and push it up into place and lock the car up.
    Today i go out and think i forgot how the frame sat on the window, I decide to take the passenger front trim off to see bingo! it's easy then i tray for 10min to get the trim back on it's nuken futs it's bloody crap the way holden made silly little clips at the back that fall off when you remove the trim and they dont go back on unless you have glue.
    So 30min later window is fixed door is fine, All done.
    In the end i only needed the door central locking motor as the rear was fine it was something else, And now i can open the car all doors but lock it button then door lock it and done. One thing i fixed was the dead locks I'm very happy with that now.

I got coming this next week some shorten Monroe GT gas shock for the rear, And then i got to book the car in for the Kings Springs I'm going super lows as many of the VN VP owners on Just commodore forum have done superlows with 15" rims and it didn't go as low as i though, Even ultralow wasn't so low, And the 35mm lowered ones are high not 35mm lower.

Then cat converter and exhaust, And I'm on the look out for VP Calais taillights they dont make them anymore so it's real hard to get them, I need to replace the ones i have as they are od 1's a Calais the other executive and they both leak water in the boot.

And thats pretty much it for now till maybe i trip over some money or next year again.

Today i got my super low kings springs fitted with great difficulty.
    I rang the place early morning asked and they said come in, I get there about 10.30am. I'm waiting and the car is sitting on the hoist for hours no-one is touching it, Time is 2.05pm. I go up and ask what is taking so long, they had to order in the springs repco is bringing them any min now. So 30min later they arrive, The guy grabs them out of the box puts them back in they then sit on the floor for another 30min till i go and ask the guy whats wrong?.
    Repco gave us the wrong rear springs, He went off tap the guy told the courier stay right there got on the phone and gave them hell.
    Finally the springs show but by this time it's gotten dark about 5.40pm and i really cant see it right only under there lights, It's very low maybe a touch more at the rear then expected, Drives good feels flat hits bumps pretty good doesn't really kill the body on large bumps corners good and so far the rears have stayed to the ground fine. I cant even snap a pic I'm not to happy i have to really wait till tomorrow to have a real good look and snap a pic.
    One good thing for waiting there the whole day next week they will give me a free wheel alignment.

way to get stuck in Slick good effort, sounds like your O2 sensor was farked well and truly. With fuel costing so much i really hope its sorted now. I was disappointed with my coilovers when i first fitted them but then realised they were adjustable so up the rear went and down the front came and i was happy if i see any VP calais lights ill let you know my friend
    The Datto will rage again...

Those Calais taillights may turn up on Ebay.
    Keep us updated on the upgrades. All the hard work and dollars will be worth it if you're planning to keep the car long term. Might even be a classic if you keep it for another 15 years.
    UCP's biggest Ford Sierra RS500 and BMW M3 E30 fan. My two favourite cars of all time.

Thread Information