Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: bye bye GTO

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    You realise don't you that the new 'all-American' 2008 Camaro is essentially a VE Holden Commodore in a party dress? And that Holden, not Chevrolet, are currently engineering it for production - including the convertible version. That's because Holden not GM-NA are resposible for ALL rwd GM passenger car design, worldwide

In reality your new 'all-American' Camaro is designed in Australia and will be manufactured in Canada ..
    But it is wrapped in Camaro sheetmetal. The GTO, was just a hastially badge engineered Monaro. At least GM tried to capture some of the original spirit with the new Camaro.

Speaking of clueless, ever considered the amount of new panels required for that car? And how much those changes would have cost in engineering and production terms to bring it to market? And how that would've affected the bottom line of GTO as a profit venture, or the MRRP? Or whether the much wider track would've even fitted down Holden's production line?

Nope I guess not
    Im sure it cant hurt profit anymore than what it is right now.
    Im not saying the car has to look exactly like that, but hell give it a little bit of pizazz and muscles.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Yay i forgot...
    In stating as you did that American big-block engines MUST be of 7 litres or larger, congratulations for 'forgetting' about .. oh, at a guess 80% .. of every BB engine ever manufactured. Well done Mr Expert!

Im not the one saying people are doing it for bragging rights, when clearly they are not.
    In clear terms I'd say that 95% of the toffs encountered on the net (and there's a plague of 'em) do indeed do it so they can brag to all and sundry about their car being two poofteenths quicker 'out of the hole' than the next guy .. I mean really, big effing deal

You sure the original Cobra had IRS, got any legit pics or specs?
    Does ignorance of this fact tally with an inability to do an internet search?
    Why do I recently seem to have more knowledge about US cars than you appear to?
    Either way it would have hooked better with a solid rear end, theres no denying that. Why do you think serious drag racers swap out IRS for a solid rear end, bragging rights? haha
    How do you know that for sure? I doubt you do - especially when your knowledge-credentials seem to be taking a battering recently

But maybe you're right. I recommend you advise the Ferrari Formula One team immediately, they need your expertise to ameliorate the dreadful axle tramp that blights their IRS-equipped machines. So do the WRC, tell them all their rally cars need F & R cart axles pronto
    Last edited by nota; 10-18-2006 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prius
    But it is wrapped in Camaro sheetmetal. The GTO, was just a hastially badge engineered Monaro. At least GM tried to capture some of the original spirit with the new Camaro.
    Retro. Its easy. Make it look like the old one. Quite fashionable now they tell me.

"A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

In stating as you did that American big-block engines MUST be of 7 litres or larger, congratulations for 'forgetting' about .. oh, at a guess 80% .. of every BB engine ever manufactured. Well done Mr Expert!
    I wasnt the first to say it, nor did I say I was an expert.
    In clear terms I'd say that 95% of the toffs encountered on the net (and there's a plague of 'em) do indeed do it so they can brag to all and sundry about their car being two poofteenths quicker 'out of the hole' than the next guy .. I mean really, big effing deal
    Never seen it, sorry. Usually Ill see them swap to a solid rear end after the IRS gets chewed up from wheel hop.
    Does ignorance of this fact tally with an inability to do an internet search?
    Why do I recently seem to have more knowledge about US cars than you appear to?
    I have, all I can find are kit cars with solid rear ends and a few with jag IRS or ford 9" IRS.
    Yes almighty one, you corrected me twice and now you are so knowledgeable, congratulations.
    How do you know that for sure? I doubt you do - especially when your knowledge-credentials seem to be taking a battering recently

But maybe you're right. I recommend you advise the Ferrari Formula One team immediately, they need your expertise to ameliorate the dreadful axle tramp that blights their IRS-equipped machines. So do the WRC, tell them all their rally cars need F & R cart axles pronto
    When did F1 and WRC get into dragracing?

You sure the original Cobra had IRS, got any legit pics or specs?
    Either way it would have hooked better with a solid rear end, theres no denying that. Why do you think serious drag racers swap out IRS for a solid rear end, bragging rights? haha
    Luckily the Cobra wasn't supposed to be a drag car
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Luckily the Cobra wasn't supposed to be a drag car
    It was conceived as a race car, not some ape-hanger drag car, yet that didn't prevent it from being the fastest accelerating thing around

Ironic, no?

It was conceived as a race car, not some ape-hanger drag car, yet that didn't prevent it from being the fastest accelerating thing around

Ironic, no?
    Uh no, not really.

Because it is australian and badge engineered.
    How many Americans would even know that is was built in Australia? Most would think that it was American because of the Pontiac badge.
    Hell, bring the Holden brand over here if you want to, I would greet it with open arms.
    You might, but how many others would? It's all about brand recognition. People are going to buy from a brand they know and trust, not the new kid on the block.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Retro. Its easy. Make it look like the old one. Quite fashionable now they tell me.

Best. Smiley. Ever.

I was laughing for about 5 minutes

And yes- you're right. And as GM's arm stretches across Europe, USA and Australasia, the same engineering goes on. Hence the American LS2 V8 shoehorned into the Monaro (Aimed @ Tony...)

Yep style over substance is no problem as long as the look is loud and menacing. Any semblance of subtlety is definately not on the agenda. Another 21st century must-have is their beloved live axle on the back, for those all-important internet bragging rights
    The stang and hummer are perfect examples
    This has been gone over and over so many times. The problem is the GTO was discontinued for quite a while. When we here think of the Pontiac GTO, we image the thundering, pavement punisher of the 60s. It was bold and brute and mean, the new GTO is too soft and plush.
    Of course to you aussies the car looks good, you saw it evolve into what it is today. They just thew it onto our lap out of no where with a GTO badge on it, and it looks nothing like how we would picture a new one.

It doesnt have to be 'out there', we just dont want a car that looks like a rental, or company fleet car. I personally liked how the GTO looked, but it could've been much better, like the concept here:

I would be really tempted to buy that car...
    The Monaro stopped for us in the 70's, And along came the new one when the VT was made, It didn't have much of the old look they said if given More time and money they had different ideas for little things.
    But that judge i hatted that one complaint for many Americans was it had a fat arse, Tell me does it have a Burke street bus arse in that picture. Pontiac had too make it ugly with that front and of all the looks it could have had they went for the soft one, I have seen a VX SS Ute here with the GTO front on, And it stood out as not only ugly but shocking too look at. That other concept they did the lacross supercross??? would have been perfect.
    A Coupe4 kit would have looked good also.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    That's just a widebody Monaro. Looks very cool, but still a widebody Monaro, a series 1 or 2 I think.

Is that the one that some stupidly powerful blown engine?
    It's almost a Need for speed rice kit
    That might be the biggest criticism of American built muscle cars, Life in the straight lane.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    The stang and hummer are perfect examples
    Whats wrong with the mustang?
    The Monaro stopped for us in the 70's, And along came the new one when the VT was made, It didn't have much of the old look they said if given More time and money they had different ideas for little things.
    What year did it come back?
    But that judge i hatted that one complaint for many Americans was it had a fat arse, Tell me does it have a Burke street bus arse in that picture.
    I cant say I really like the rear end of this car.
    Pontiac had too make it ugly with that front and of all the looks it could have had they went for the soft one, I have seen a VX SS Ute here with the GTO front on, And it stood out as not only ugly but shocking too look at. That other concept they did the lacross supercross??? would have been perfect.
    A Coupe4 kit would have looked good also.
    I really cant understand what your saying... Have you been boozing it up tonight?
    That might be the biggest criticism of American built muscle cars, Life in the straight lane.
    Its not due to the solid axle, solid axle cars can handle very well (caterham anyone?). Its the fact that most of these cars come from the factory to drag race, and made knowing that it will be modded. You'd honestly be hard pressed to find a stock V8 fbody, or Mustang Cobra or even GT. Many mustang guys complained when the Cobra first came out with IRS!

I hate to brake it to you but the solid axle mustang GT is faster then the much higher horse 03/04 cobra around a circut and the Cobra has IRS. Solid axles are good all around.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    I hate to brake it to you but the solid axle mustang GT is faster then the much higher horse 03/04 cobra around a circut and the Cobra has IRS. Solid axles are good all around.
    Got the article? That would be an interesting read.
    And no, a solid rear end isnt best all arond, IRS trully does allow the car to handle better, but just because car A has IRS, and car B has a solid rear end doesnt mean A is faster, or B is faster.
    Down right to it, a solid rear end is better for drag, and IRS is better for handling(absorbs bumps better, and is more adjustable -camber, toe etc.

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    Hey did you know the a Cobalt SS got a better lap time around VIR then the Mustang...

Thread Information