Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lotus Elan +2

Lotus Elan +2

This thread is ultimately destined for Matt's Hi-Res Hide-Out, but in the meantime (while I get a chance to gather photos) here is some background information on the Elan +2. Please add your own hi-res +2 photos, if you have any.

Colin Chapman created one of the most famous sportscars in the world the day the first Lotus Elan coupé rolled off the production line, back in 1962. Famed for its handling, the '60s' Elan is still one of the best handling cars in the world, in spite of being a 45-year-old design.

A roaring success as the coupé was, traditionally aiming for the self-build and weekend racer market, Lotus found themselves having to adapt to survive. As the sportscar market evolved and matured, Lotus took a couple of key decisions leading to a departure from their previous core market. This was signified by the birth of the +2 in 1967.

The Elan +2 was built to move away from the 'kit car' reputation of Lotus (and clientele, to an extent) and to allow them to compete with the likes of Jaguar (the E-Type) and Porsche (the 911) in the quality, factory-built sportscar market. There was also a +2S, sporting more wood, leather and other luxuries, such as electric windows. These models were not to be offered as a kit, and with their longer wheelbase, more impressive interior trim (especially in the +2S) and extra '2' seats, they were clearly pitched at a more well-healed public to be practical, luxurious fun.

Due to the greater weight of the +2, it always suffered a drop in acceleration times when compared to the lighter coupé, however improved aerodynamics meant the top speed was unaffected. And the famous Elan handling is near identical - indeed, some drivers swear the longer wheelbase and wider track on the +2 actually afford better handling than the original coupé.

In 1971 came the +2S 130/5, sporting the 'Big-Valve' engine. This was a new cylinder head on the same Ford-based block as before, producing an extra 8bhp at factory tuning. Many Lotus enthusiasts view the 'Big-Valve' engine as little more than a marketing exercise (the argument being, Lotus could have easily produced the extra horsepower from the original engine) but the fact remains the 'Big-Valve' engine in factory setup brought a significant upgrade in terms of power. It took a half a second off the +2 acceleration, making the 'Big-Valve' +2S 130/5 as quick off the mark, quicker in a straight line and arguably better-handling than the original Elan S1 coupé. Impressive!

(When the 'Big-Valve' went in the coupé, better known as the Elan Sprint, 1971-1974, it was quicker than a Porsche 911E and a Ferrari Dino 246.)

The +2 continued to be made up until 1974, where the times caught up with it. It was still a very quick car, but new safety regulations meant Lotus would've had to spend a small fortune to redesign it for UK type approval. Instead they dropped the Elan range in favour of focusing on the production of their latest models. After a successful 12-year run, the original Elan was shelved.

For the record, my +2 (photos coming soon) is one of the last, a +2S 130/5 from early 1974, when Lotus had once again dropped Weber carburetors, after a quick fling on the 'Big-Valve' engine, and reverted to Dellortos.
    Last edited by greg.harvey; 05-23-2006 at 02:42 PM.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Nice, I saw one of these last weekend and almost requested a thread since I noticed it was absent. But you read my mind!

Edit: Here's my picture in 1280x1024 (I have no idea what the prefered resolution is...)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Pando; 05-23-2006 at 06:14 PM.
    http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31695
    - Are YOU listed? -

Some guy in my town has a yellow elan, and I always see him around. The guy himself looks like the biggest flamer always wearing the same clothes and brutal hair style, but I give him props for his car.

sorry its not the Elan +2, but I couldn't help but share anyway.

Greg, the car was here all the time...

http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/forum...629#post414629
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Hi Henk,

I completely forgot about your thread... but Matt doesn't have it in the Hi-Res index, hence me starting this after PM conversation with him. Good to have the +2 represented in his picture section.

Cheers,

G
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by greg.harvey
    Hi Henk,

I completely forgot about your thread... but Matt doesn't have it in the Hi-Res index, hence me starting this after PM conversation with him. Good to have the +2 represented in his picture section.

Cheers,

G
    well, this is how it goes, the "corner" is for more serious dealings with the car and the use of "own" pictures, while the hide-out will accept everything hi-res, even with no specs at all..
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I see - but that was a separate thread...? Should I post this in the "corner" thread? Sorry... I'm sure I'm being st00pid!
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    well, this is how it goes, the "corner" is for more serious dealings with the car and the use of "own" pictures, while the hide-out will accept everything hi-res, even with no specs at all..
    Henk made up these rules and decided this is the way the hide-out is all on his own. Feel free to post it in the hide-out.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Henk made up these rules and decided this is the way the hide-out is all on his own. Feel free to post it in the hide-out.

can you spell out what you want to say in a more exact way?

can you spell out what you want to say in a more exact way?
    I don't think I need to.

I don't think I need to.
    well in this case I really cannot understand your English.....the line might need some editing

OK, then try this. No offense to you personally, but this is complete bullshit. The corner is no more serious than the hide-out. There is no limitation on what type of pictures can be posted, self-taken or professionally-taken, as long as they are within the sizes preferred. Specs are always welcome and posted when readily available. EVERY thread, assuming they all have pictures that are at least 1024x768, that has been created as part of the corner would have been welcomed and appreciated in the hide-out.

OK, then try this. No offense to you personally, but this is complete bullshit. The corner is no more serious than the hide-out. There is no limitation on what type of pictures can be posted, self-taken or professionally-taken, as long as they are within the sizes preferred. Specs are always welcome and posted when readily available. EVERY thread, assuming they all have pictures that are at least 1024x768, that has been created as part of the corner would have been welcomed and appreciated in the hide-out.

well, that nicely explains the difference between how I see the difference between the corner and the hide-out. Condition for entry in the corner is that it contains a small write, and self taken pictures. You clearly describe that the entry to the hide-out is more liberal and many threads that you allow in the hide would have not met the criteria of the corner.
    One of the reasons for the hide-out is the fact that during the UCP sponsored trips I am getting pictures of many cars that will never make it to the main page of UCP. In order not to let them get wasted I started the "corner" and the big man himself decided that it should come under the classic car section. So I invited everybody who has own pictures and some interesting stories/facts about a car to post in the corner. That the corner has not been very lively over the last couple of months is entirely due to some other priorities that I had.
    Last edited by McReis; 05-24-2006 at 10:11 AM.

well, that nicely explains the difference between how I see the difference between the corner and the hide-out. Condition for entry in the corner is that it contains a small write, and self taken pictures. You clearly describe that the entry to the hide-out is more liberal and many threads that you allow in the hide would have not met the criteria of the corner.
    One of the reasons for the hide-out is the fact that during the UCP sponsored trips I am getting pictures of many cars that will never make it to the main page of UCP. In order not to let them get wasted I started the hide-out and the big man himself decided that it should come under the classic car section. So I invited everybody who has own pictures and some interesting stories/facts about a car to post in the corner. That the corner has not been very lively over the last couple of months is entirely due to some other priorities that I had.
    But wouldn't these threads have also worked in the hide-out?

Thread Information