Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas price cap for SUV buyers :(

Gas price cap for SUV buyers :(

http://www.rapidnewswire.com/5246-gmgascap-0100.htm

Quote Originally Posted by rapidnewswire.com
    GM offers gas-price cap for SUV buyers
    Wednesday, May 24, 2006 (Associated Press)
    By DEE-ANN DURBIN

DETROIT (AP) - Aiming to capitalize on consumer angst about the high cost of gasoline, General Motors Corp. on Tuesday said it would cap pump prices at $1.99 for customers in California and Florida who buy certain vehicles by July 5.

One hitch to the promotion is that customers must also agree to enroll in the OnStar vehicle diagnostic service, which is free for the first year but after that will cost $16.95 a month. The other is that many of the eligible vehicles are serious gas guzzlers.

The offer is good for 2006 and 2007 model year vehicles. In California, eligible vehicles are the Chevrolet Tahoe and Suburban sport utility vehicles and Impala and Monte Carlo sedans; the GMC Yukon and Yukon XL SUVs; the Hummer H2 and H3 SUVs; the Cadillac SRX SUV; and the Pontiac Grand Prix and Buick LaCrosse sedans.

In Florida, eligible vehicles are the Impala, Monte Carlo, Grand Prix and LaCrosse. Customers must buy or lease an eligible vehicle between May 25 and July 5 and enroll in the OnStar diagnostic service, which automatically runs checks on the vehicle and sends e-mail notices to owners each month.

Each month for one year, GM will give drivers a credit on a prepaid card based on their estimated fuel usage. Fuel usage will be calculated by the miles they drive, as recorded by OnStar, and the vehicle's fuel economy rating.

GM will credit drivers the difference between the average price per gallon in their state and the $1.99 cap. The credits can be used through December 2007. Consumers wouldn't get any credits if gas prices fall below $1.99.

GM said a California resident who buys a 2007 Chevrolet Tahoe and drives 1,000 miles per month would get an estimated $103.75 monthly credit, based on the current average premium fuel price of $3.65 per gallon, GM said. A Florida resident who drives a 2006 Buick LaCrosse about 1,000 miles per month would get an estimated monthly credit of $60 based on the current premium fuel price of $3.19.

GM spokeswoman Deborah Silverman said GM picked California and Florida in part because the company wants to increase sales in those states. Silverman said GM will see how successful the program is before deciding whether to expand it to other states.

GM's newly redesigned full-size SUVs like the Tahoe have been big sellers this spring despite rising gas prices. In the first four months of this year, Tahoe sales were up 36 percent. The rebate could help older, slower-selling SUVs like the Hummer H2, which saw sales fall 19 percent in the same period.

GM's car sales were down 12 percent through April. While some cars have bucked that trend - Pontiac Grand Prix sales were up 24 percent - the rebate could help stragglers like the Buick LaCrosse, which saw sales fall 21 percent.

After years of watching customers focus on their deals instead of their vehicles, GM has been cutting back on incentive spending in favor of lower overall pricing. In April, the company lowered per-vehicle incentives by 26 percent to $2,836, the biggest drop of any U.S. automaker.

Silverman said the new program isn't straying from GM's strategy. The automaker has always said it would continue to use targeted incentives to focus on particular vehicles or regions, she said.

GM shares rose 4 cents to close at $24.48 on the New York Stock Exchange.
    I mean, really?
    The bigger the gas guzzler you buy, the bigger the savings!

GM will die a slow and painful death soon

Well it has not been uncommon for companies in Europe to supply a certain amount of fuel with the car when bought new as a temporary marketing gag. This however shows the ineptitude of GM to adapt their product range to economic realities.
    I hope the financial authorities in those States will take notice of this practice and consider the fuel subsidy as part of people's taxable income.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

I still haven't seen a decline in SUV sales in my area. People are constantly rolling around in these new gas guzzlers with chrome wheels that will never see a dirt road. I don't understand why people can't just buy regular cars. Sure SUVs offer more room, but how much room does one really need for daily commuting. These vehicles are a waste for the most part.

Quote Originally Posted by RobPorsche
    I still haven't seen a decline in SUV sales in my area. People are constantly rolling around in these new gas guzzlers with chrome wheels that will never see a dirt road. I don't understand why people can't just buy regular cars. Sure SUVs offer more room, but how much room does one really need for daily commuting. These vehicles are a waste for the most part.
    Cheap prestige. Not at the pumps though, until this...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Believe me there has been a 10+ page debate about this in the past Outcome: They suck and shouldnt be used/sold only whenb you really need them for the outback or something... (leaves only a few models )

Indeed - this is how SUVs should be. Before anyone even knew what an SUV was!
    http://www.theclassictimes.com/fotom...andRover/5.jpg

Farmers bought those cars! There's barely a farmer on the planet who can afford a Range Rover these days.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by junaman
    The bigger the gas guzzler you buy, the bigger the savings!
    hardly...
    I don't understand why people can't just buy regular cars. Sure SUVs offer more room, but how much room does one really need for daily commuting.
    since when were people in the developed world constrained but what they NEEDED, people have enough resources to get what they WANT. i mean look at your display picture, do you really NEED that bike? no... you WANT IT? i dont understand why you couldn't use a vespa. sure that bike in ur avatar has more speed, but how much speed does one really need for daily commuting? see how out of place that sounded? think before you write
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    people have enough resources to get what they WANT.
    the problem is gradually and steadily developing into something else:
    Old mother earth may not have enough resources to satisfy what people want, and then the problem of scarcity starts to play a role, the very reason for a discipline like economics to exist.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

This is just playing on the ignorance of the public. With so much hysteria about gas prices GM is smart enough to base a buying incentive on it...in the end the customer will get no more 'discount' than they would if it were a reduced interest loan or a rebate incentive the car makers have done zillions of times.

It's just under a different disguise this time, don't make it out to be something it's not. Also this gas gimmick is only good for one year, big deal.

hardly...
    I know its not technically, but they certainly are using that for promotional purposes and milking it for all it's worth...

stop making big suvs. you dont need them and they hurt worse when you get hit by them (see my accident thread)
    THIS IS A SIGNATURE
    (UCP'S biggest Zonda fan)

Stand up next to a mountain, chop it down with the edge of my hand. Pick up all the peices make an island over there
    Jimi H...

hardly...since when were people in the developed world constrained but what they NEEDED, people have enough resources to get what they WANT. i mean look at your display picture, do you really NEED that bike? no... you WANT IT? i dont understand why you couldn't use a vespa. sure that bike in ur avatar has more speed, but how much speed does one really need for daily commuting? see how out of place that sounded? think before you write
    That's not the point. I understand what you mean with people's needs and desires, and the 'need' argument can apply towards practically every material possession we have. Take for example our computers, do we need 2 gigs of ram and a terrabyte of HD space, no. Do we need a 70 dollar optical mouse? No. Must our monitors be 21" wide with a true-flat screen and a 1080p resolution? Absolutely not.

I'm sure the same concept is applied with these SUV buyers, seeing as they don't NEED an SUV, but 'WANT' one for it's benefits. However, when we bitch and moan about the gas-guzzlers, we hope that people can change their opinions of the bohemeths that occupy our roads.

We'll never get rid of them outright, but we can convince others that perhaps a mid-size sedan would be a better choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    That's not the point. I understand what you mean with people's needs and desires, and the 'need' argument can apply towards practically every material possession we have. Take for example our computers, do we need 2 gigs of ram and a terrabyte of HD space, no. Do we need a 70 dollar optical mouse? No. Must our monitors be 21" wide with a true-flat screen and a 1080p resolution? Absolutely not.
    well i KNOW thats not the point, thats why i pointed it out!

and if you really meant what you said you would have just stated "you dont need a computer" instead of rambling on about 2 gigs of ram and a terrabyte of HD space and an optical mouse
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

well i KNOW thats not the point, thats why i pointed it out!

and if you really meant what you said you would have just stated "you dont need a computer" instead of rambling on about 2 gigs of ram and a terrabyte of HD space and an optical mouse
    I figured including the computer was necessary seeing as UCP would be nothing if we didn't have internet access. Meh, it's all just 'what if's' and details now. Let's drop the whole thing alltogether.

Thread Information