View Poll Results: Which one would you choose?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2006 Suzuki Swift

15 55.56%
  • Mini One

12 44.44%
  • Mini One D

0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which would you rather have?

I live in Canada...where the Swifts are based on the Chevy Aveo. But the Swift looks the best...so I voted for it.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    What I don't understand are the mileage figures. I know the Imperial gallon is slightly bigger but these numbers are huge, much more Ginormous than representing the bigger gallon. the 1.6 Mini (sans SC) sold in the US gets 28 city/36 hwy...
    Different methods used to measure it.
    They're citing the "extra urban" cycle which from the specs is ....

Extra-urban cycle
    This cycle is conducted immediately following the urban cycle and consists of roughly half steady-speed driving and the remainder accelerations, decelerations, and some idling. Maximum speed is 75 mph (120 km/h), average speed is 39 mph (63 km/h) and the distance covered is 4.3 miles (7 km). The cycle is shown as Part Two in the diagram below.

You're supposed to publish the full number and optionally the first and second parts seperately !!!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Different methods used to measure it.
    They're citing the "extra urban" cycle which from the specs is ....
    Extracting maximum mileage in a controlled test is great for comparing best possible efficiencies between cars. I'd also like to see more realistic, achievable MPG figures. Maybe, 20% lower numbers are possible in normal driving. Still, squeezing 50+ MPG from a gas car is impressive.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Perf, for European driving the cycles are fairly accurate and most can easily meet them in daily driving. If you look a the variation in speed in the cycles then it reflects relatively busy open road/motorway travel. On long journeys it's MORE than possible to get BETTER figures than cited.
    The one that's debatable for me are the city figures as they assume "reasonable" acceleration and not the foot stomp we sometimes have to do to rush into teh only available space ahead of the car beside us
    oh and I suppose the motorway between the speed cameras too when plod isn't around
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

WOW!! I'm jealous if you can get that type of mileage out of some cars. I picked some effiecient cars sold in the States, listed with their estimated MPGs. I've found MPG estimates to be pretty accurate in the past.

Maybe the differences in gallon size, octane ratings, and avg driving speeds all cause lower mileage figures. Also, maybe more powerfully tuned engines. The Mini 1.6 is 115 hp vs. 90 hp for the Euro model. Seems maybe the less powerful models are optimized for economy, whereas the US models even the lesser Mini model is still geared for performance??
    Attached Images Attached Images

A family friend of ours has a Mini convertible, and I got a chance to drive that today, topless of course(the car). Its a pretty spirited little car.

Extracting maximum mileage in a controlled test is great for comparing best possible efficiencies between cars. I'd also like to see more realistic, achievable MPG figures. Maybe, 20% lower numbers are possible in normal driving. Still, squeezing 50+ MPG from a gas car is impressive.
    The Citroen C1 1.0i petrol does 61mpg...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    The Citroen C1 1.0i petrol does 61mpg...
    and the same in topspeed.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    you may not drive much faster anyway

Still, squeezing 50+ MPG from a gas car is impressive.
    Remember the Lupo 3L ? Doing 100 km on 3 liters of fuel (in reality slightly higher)
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-30-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Actually it's a massive 98mph. So you could still your license on it...
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    Remember the Lupo 3L ? Doing 100 km on 3 liters of fuel (in reality slightly higher)
    But that's actually a diesel. BTW, 3l/100km mean nearly 94mpg, not bad...
    Visca Catalunya!

The Mini 1.6 is 115 hp vs. 90 hp for the Euro model. Seems maybe the less powerful models are optimized for economy, whereas the US models even the lesser Mini model is still geared for performance??
    erm, where are you gettign numbers from ?
    The Mini ONE is the 90hp model
    BMW are selling on the Cooper name in the US so only the 115hp base Copper is the entry car.
    The Coopers are the same the world over.
    Brand image is all and MINI "Cooper" has the cachet that US buyers seem to want.
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-30-2006 at 08:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    erm, where are you gettign numbers from ?
    The Mini base model is 115hp everywhere.
    So the follow-on assumptions aren't valid.
    Erm... no Matra the Euro Mini line up is:

-Mini One 90bhp
    -Mini Cooper 115bhp
    -Mini Cooper S 170bhp
    -Mini One D 75bhp
    -Mini One D 88bhp
    Visca Catalunya!

Yeah I was editing it when I realised that his table was actualy the COOPER spec adn I'd forgotten about hte ONE. You posted in the meantime

and a reminder on the Mini ONE D .. the second bottom of the "pack" available here, not there.

"only" 88hp but a stonking (in a car that small) extra 40Nm of torque over the Coopers

PS: I go with the Swift. Three reasons ... MINI's are NOT real Minis .... MINIs are dead common .... Suzuki are winning rallying in the little Swift
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 05-30-2006 at 08:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Erm... no Matra the Euro Mini line up is:

-Mini One 90bhp
    -Mini Cooper 115bhp
    -Mini Cooper S 170bhp
    -Mini One D 75bhp
    -Mini One D 88bhp
    This is what I was saying, that the least powerful/most efficient model available in the US is the 115 hp model. The 90 hp model would have been among top 10 most efficient cars. It would be nice to see more fuel-efficient choices...

As it stands now:

Top 10 Most Fuel-Efficient Cars for 2006
    Honda Insight — 60/66
    Toyota Prius — 60/51*
    Honda Civic Hybrid — 49/51*
    Volkswagen Golf TDI — 37/44
    Volkswagen New Beetle TDI — 37/44
    Volkswagen Jetta TDI — 36/41
    Toyota Corolla — 32/41
    Scion xA — 32/37
    Hyundai Accent — 32/35
    Kia Rio — 32/35
    Honda Civic — 30/40*
    Pontiac Vibe — 30/36
    Toyota Matrix — 30/36

Rankings are based on the Environmental Protection Agency's (EPA) miles-per-gallon ratings for city and highway travel. More specifically, we used the EPA's combined fuel economy formula: 55 percent of city mpg rating plus 45 percent of highway mpg rating.

It would be nice to see more fuel-efficient choices...
    In North America the combination of not liking diesels and liking big engines, makes for cars having poor fuel consumption, at least poorer than cars ofered in the European or Japanese markets.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information