Thread: Can you hear the turbo whistling?? (McLaren F1)

Can you hear the turbo whistling?? (McLaren F1)

I certainly can't.... Mistake by a professional F1 driver perhaps?

3:15 mark in the video.

http://www.dpccars.com/car-movies/05...FerrariF40.htm

I am pretty sure I have seen that video, and I thought the exact same thing, the F1 is naturally aspirated.

A mistake yes, but I've seen worse. I've seen a guy call the 4 pipes in the back "NOS bottles..."

Either than or he said it when talking about one of the other two cars there, and some editor thought it was a 'cool' comment to add in.

Quote Originally Posted by pimento
    Either than or he said it when talking about one of the other two cars there, and some editor thought it was a 'cool' comment to add in.
    no because he said it IN the F1. His mouth was moving.

LOL that professional F1 driver is smoking crack?

Guest Guest
    amzing video (the noise!!!!!) just a shame it was controled by a retard, although he certainly can drive!

althought i didnt think it was turbo's you can hear a slight whistle

he wasnt on about the eb110 or the f40 in the vid but they do both have hauge turbos, the bugatti has 4 i think and the ferrari has 2

the jag xjr15 also had a similar whistle
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakg
    amzing video (the noise!!!!!) just a shame it was controled by a retard, although he certainly can drive!

yeah

Mika Hakkinen started out his racing career in the same way as all the great drivers, in karting. He started karting in 1973 at the age of 5 and won his first race 2 years later. From the age of 11 Mika won championship after championship, as detailed in the table below.

His move into single seater racing was equally successful, he held three Formula Ford 1600 championship titles at the end of his first season, in 1987.

After a move into British Formula 3 in 1989, Hakkinen won the championship in just his second season, with West Surrey Racing.

Formula 1
    The US Grand Prix of 1991, in Pheonix, Arizona was Mika's debut in the world's top racing series. He retired from this race with engine failure, after spinning several times. His team was the now departed Lotus-Judd.

His move to McLaren was in 1993, when they were using Ford power. He was employed as a test driver, Ayrton Senna and Michael Andretti being the race drivers. When Andretti opted to return to CART racing, Mika was promoted to race driver and sensationally out qualified Senna in his first race with the team.

It was with McLaren that Mika gained his first podium finish, 3rd in the Japanese GP. In 1995 a serious accident during practice at the Australian Grand Prix brought him within inches of his life. A tyre had deflated at high speed with the result of a hard impact into a tyre wall, severe head injuries and a coma. However, he recovered and returned to racing, and won his first GP in 1997, which was the European Grand Prix of that year.

Karting History

Year

Position

Championship

1st

Keimola Regional Karting Championship

1st

Regional Karting Championship

4th

Lapland Karting Championship

1st

Finnish Karting Championship (F Miniseries)

1st
    2nd

Ronnie Peterson Memorial Championship
    Finnish Karting Championship (F-miniseries)

1st

Finnish Karting Championship (FN series)

1st

Finnish Karting Championship (FA series)

1st

1st

Single Seater History

Year

Position

Championship

1st
    1st
    1st

Finnish Formula Ford 1600 Championship
    Swedish Formula Ford 1600 Championship
    Nordic Formula Ford 1600 Championship

1st
    2nd

Opel Lotus Euroseries Championship
    British GM Euroseries

7th
    British Formula 3 Championship

1st

British Formula 3 Championship

Formula One History

Year

Position

Championship

15th

Formula One World Championship

8th

15th

7th

6th

6th

1st

1st
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Gordon Murray looks great with a mullet
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

You can look at it two ways I guess - either "What was he thinking?!?!?!" in the sense that someone in his position at the time should clearly have known the specifications on the McLaren F1's engine. Or, you could look at it in the sense that the F1's lump must be truly impressive to open up if a Formula One driver of Hakkinen's caliber is given the impression that it isn't simply a normally aspirated unit.

Throwing my silly theories out the window, this is a quote by someone on another forum who seems to know more about the video:

acutally, the two passengers sitting in the car were the translator for the show and the tv host. and the full sentence was (something like) "its certainly very noisy in here, doesn't sound as good i think, the others, [you can hear the turbo whisling]" i think they edited that front bit out coz it was ment to be a story about how good the f1 really is, but certainlly bad editing.

i've seen the entire thing on tape when i was in hongkong about 8 years ago. and it had about 40 mintus more than the ones on the net.
    So take that for what it's worth.

>8^)
    ER

Once again, Peloton saves the McLaren day
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Thanks man.

It's obvious to me that Hakkinen would have never made that sort of mistake as he was directly involved with the development of the McLaren F1 prototypes. Here are some photos of him pulled from Driving Ambition - the first two during high speed testing in Nardo, Italy. The last with Gordon Murray and others from the F1 development team. The other driver suited up was the lead test driver on the F1 project - Jonathan Palmer.

>8^)
    ER

BTW: As for the dude in the short shorts in photo #1 - it was 1993, what else can you say?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information