Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Next Enzo

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Aaah, you're an owner - fair enough.

I drove a CS a while ago and I'm not convinced by the paddleshift for anything less than full-bore shifts. A stick and pedal is so much more versatile.
    And not just any owner, there's an Enzo, F40 and more in that collection. A Lola or two IIRC...
    Audi humbles Porsche. A new dawn starts today.

Being nice since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Ah, that's what all the electronics are for then...

They're there so that everybody can forget about the pesky business of knowing how to actually drive a car, and get on with simply standing on the throttle at every available opportunity!

Car control, pah!

Ferrari gives you the genuine Gran Tourismo 4 experience, the Ultimate Driving Simulator-Simulator!
    Not only that but aren't cars becoming like the latest fighter planes, impossible to control without electronics, the thing is development time is cut in half or even more just by adding a couple of electronic helpers to the car...

I guess it's kinda - "lets make the car shiny like we want to and then stick a magic box in it that makes go straight and do corners."
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

You guys can't have driven a Ferrari - they're an inspiring car to drive.
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I'm with MrKipling until you drive it you will never fully understand. Ther brakes are awsome. next time you get in you honda you will nearly wreck because you waited to late to brake and the hand of god (Ferrari's Brakes did not come down to grab you. As to the maintaining of the Electronics and cars as they age ferrari has a huge commitment to keeping all of its cars on the road. They have opened a new service/Sales department, for classic F1 cars and the Classic Ferraris. This is a quote from the Ferrari Owners site. "Ferrari Classiche is the department dedicated to defending the marque’s historical patrimony represented by its F1 single-seaters, sports-racers, sports-prototypes and by its classic road cars, i.e. those GTs built over 20 years ago." As to the smooth shift of a F1 box. If you want a smooth shift drive a QP. Ferraris are designed to shift fast not smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by GGamble
    As to the smooth shift of a F1 box. If you want a smooth shift drive a QP. Ferraris are designed to shift fast not smooth.
    Precisely the big Maser is known to have stupid gearbox, which in auto mode is just awful. I'd be better if they offered a proper manual and a proper auto.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Precisely the big Maser is known to have stupid gearbox, which in auto mode is just awful. I'd be better if they offered a proper manual and a proper auto.
    The new auto is sposed to be on the way, the ever popular ZF 6-speed apparently
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I personally would prefer a manual because you just have total control over the car, no bogus computers telling you what you may and may not do. Whatever you tell the car, it will do and with no objections. A car should be driven, not computed.

Quote Originally Posted by Viper007
    I personally would prefer a manual because you just have total control over the car, no bogus computers telling you what you may and may not do. Whatever you tell the car, it will do and with no objections. A car should be driven, not computed.
    Yeah, but you have to consider the market for the car. If I was going to buy a Quattroporte I'd prefer an auto, its supposed to be a luxo cruiser, and autos just suit them better
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Yeah, but you have to consider the market for the car. If I was going to buy a Quattroporte I'd prefer an auto, its supposed to be a luxo cruiser, and autos just suit them better
    It's better to consider the Quattroporte as 4-door itailian supercar...
    Visca Catalunya!

So if Ferrari and all the rest of the flappy-paddle crowd is so concerned about millisecond shift times, why not use CVT's? I haven't heard anything about them for a while. A CVT (I hope I've got the letters right) is a transmission on a sliding scale. No fixed ratios, it just progressively changes the final drive. That way you could keep the car singing three RPM shy of the redline all the way from standstill to V-Max.
    Of course you'd think the clutch was slipping the whole way...

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail
    So if Ferrari and all the rest of the flappy-paddle crowd is so concerned about millisecond shift times, why not use CVT's? I haven't heard anything about them for a while. A CVT (I hope I've got the letters right) is a transmission on a sliding scale. No fixed ratios, it just progressively changes the final drive. That way you could keep the car singing three RPM shy of the redline all the way from standstill to V-Max.
    Of course you'd think the clutch was slipping the whole way...
    The torque would rip the gearbox to pieces... probably...
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information