Thread: ZIPing

Guest Guest

ZIPing

I would like to distribute 1.84 Gb's worth of files on a cd, so i zipped it with WinRAR, after that it was 1.83 Gb! What do you recomend i use for the task? If it helps they are all exe's (office 2007)

I duno myself but how many times can you compress a file because you can again compress the rar into another rar etc i know its a long process but it should work
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Guest Guest
    the other reason i dont like rars is because most people only have whts built into xp, which is ZIP only

Span it over a handful of CD's. Think WinZIP allows you too (haven't used it in aaages) and WinRAR definately does.
    Pretty sure you can get a freeware RAR decompressor if unpacking it at the other end is an issue.

Guest Guest
    im trying 7Zip atm, if things dont work to well ill just do the core components

I duno myself but how many times can you compress a file because you can again compress the rar into another rar etc i know its a long process but it should work
    If you keep compressing it into more rars or zips the file size soon actually gets larger....

Couldn't you put the stuff on DVD's?

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    Couldn't you put the stuff on DVD's?
    why do people ask questions that can clearly just be answered if the question raiser jsut thinks for a second.

YES! YOU CAN PUT THE STUFF ON DVDs! but

1) THATS NOT THE DAMN QUESTION CURRENTLY!
    2) IF HE HAD THE CAPACITY TO USE A DVD BURNER DO YOU NOT THINK THAT HE WOULD HAVE ALREADY? DID HE REALLY REQUIRE YOUR INTELECT TO DERIVE TO THE CONCLUSION THAT HE COULD BURN IT TO A DVD!??!?! CLEARLY NOT DAMMIT! FOR A MYRIAD OF POSSIBLE REASONS, HE CAN NOT!

god...!!!!!! UGHHHHH THiS JUST DRIVES ME UP THE WALL!
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

If it's in a .rar at 1.83 GB, there's no way you'll get it all onto one cd. Nor two.

there is an option in winrar somewehre about compression. set it to high instead of fastest It saves up to 10% on a larger file

If it's something already compressed, such as jpegs or mpegs, you can't get it much smaller by zipping it. At least winrar has the option of splitting the archive to several parts to fit to cd's for example, and it supports zip compression too.

Even when you delete something off your computer The wizz IT guys can retreive it and yet it doesnt take up that much space, what im trying to say the computer has it stored somewhere and its compressed so much or its some kind of partial file that doesnt effect the free space left on your hard drive.

Im not completely sure how this works but they should use that system on cds you could compress it into these types of partial files or whatever they are and theyd definatly fit, i know im looking at this from a very much a laymens point of view but thats how all idea start...
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

Guest Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by drakkie
    there is an option in winrar somewehre about compression. set it to high instead of fastest It saves up to 10% on a larger file
    always compress at max, most of the files i compress ar eunder 1 Mb so ive never been sitting their while it compresses for long enough to think about changing it!

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Even when you delete something off your computer The wizz IT guys can retreive it and yet it doesnt take up that much space, what im trying to say the computer has it stored somewhere and its compressed so much or its some kind of partial file that doesnt effect the free space left on your hard drive.

Im not completely sure how this works but they should use that system on cds you could compress it into these types of partial files or whatever they are and theyd definatly fit, i know im looking at this from a very much a laymens point of view but thats how all idea start...
    No, the files are still present on the disk, but aren't taken into account when calculating disk usage. The blocks the deleted files are on are marked as empty, but the data is still there and can be recovered. When you start adding new files to the disk these "empty" blocks are overwritten with the new data. Its not some super magic compression algorithm, otherwise it would be in common use

Thread Information