Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: WRX STi. What of it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Friend had one for a year.
    YOU may consider it "undrivable" but I can assure you we chucked around with great ease
    Holy shit, are you serious? Do you have a link to pics, etc.? Man I would love just a chance to see the FQ-400, much less drive it!
    Caveat emptor
    The problem is the "idiots" who treat it like a rally car and wonder why the box/diff/shafts broke !! It's sold as a street car and there are no issues with that if driven as one
    I totally agree with this. That's why I'm always so leery of purchasing any WRX STi or Evo that has even been slightly used (especially when the owner is a kid who beat the living shit out of the thing). People really have to learn that not only these are not real rally cars that they also have to be broken in properly. They still have rather amazing performance though, I must say!
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Friend had one for a year.
    YOU may consider it "undrivable" but I can assure you we chucked around with great ease

Caveat emptor
    The problem is the "idiots" who treat it like a rally car and wonder why the box/diff/shafts broke !! It's sold as a street car and there are no issues with that if driven as one
    I'll give allowances for everything except my claim that the car's overboosted. Asking a 2-liter to punch out 400 hp is just overdoing it.

However, considering the service costs of a true exotic, maybe the repair bills at the Raliart shop wouldn't sting too bad, and I'd imagine a FQ-400 wouldn't be a daily driver.

Still, I've read the powerband is too peaky, with the torque coming on all at once high in the rev-range, like high-strung turbocharged engines of old.

The FQ-3... 3 ummm. 340? Was that it?

Anyway, the next rung down Raliart's ladder, I've read, is a much more well-rounded machine. It's certainly not as fast at the local dragway, but it's got a more useable spread of torque through the rev-range, and according to my sources is more enjoyable on the kinds of real-world roads in mind when the EVO was engineered.

I might be proven wrong with a ride in one, — it's very likely, now that I think about it — but for now I'm filing the FQ-400 alongside the 800-hp Supras and 1,200 hp Vipers.

Also, I've been deeply impressed with the way my STi's held together. After 60,000 miles of often lunatic driving, I've no problems at all to report, save for one night when it went into limp-home mode for no apparent reason only to "heal" itself a week later, just as I was about to have it towed to the dealer.

Everything's a little looser, and there's some backlash in the transmission, but no more than you'd expect for a car of this mileage and nothing a little $$refreshing$$ couldn't fix.

I've got a set of polyeurothane bushings in the back seat waiting until the right payday to be installed. That'll fix the wayward lateral movement I'm feeling from the rear axle, and hopefully when the wrench-monkeys re-assemble the suspension with the new bushings, they'll somehow fix the chattery feeling I think's coming from a loose front subframe.
    Last edited by LandQuail; 07-30-2007 at 09:32 PM.

400hp out of 2litres is not overdoing it

SOudns like you've been luckier with the STi ( or perhaps more careful ) than guys I know Clutches and diffs and lots of driveshafts failing. We've even swapped a drive shaft off his wife's road car over at a hillclimb meet between runs after destroying his one !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

My Descision I Would Choose The Evo Over Everything..

Actually If The M3 Was A GTR Then Maybey The BMW But I Really Think Evo's Take STi's .

And because of the 3 diffrent types of evo coming out it makes the choice easier it means you could pot for the expensive one and get a monster of a ride pushing out 300bhp i mean whoa. but also if you dont have a small fortune to spend you could go for the gsi model ? if i'm correct which is obv not as fast but still a decent spec

BRIAN:"What Would Be Better For My Skyline ? , A 12 Gallon Or 24 Gallon ?

COP:24 ?

BRIAN:Really ? I Didn't Know Pizza Places Made Engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke Turnbul View Post
    My Descision I Would Choose The Evo Over Everything..

Actually If The M3 Was A GTR Then Maybey The BMW But I Really Think Evo's Take STi's .

And because of the 3 diffrent types of evo coming out it makes the choice easier it means you could pot for the expensive one and get a monster of a ride pushing out 300bhp i mean whoa. but also if you dont have a small fortune to spend you could go for the gsi model ? if i'm correct which is obv not as fast but still a decent spec

Especially with the new WRX out, I would definitely take an Evo over it. I'm just hoping the new WRX STi lives up to expectations.

Here to say hello

Hi here how are you? I am newbie in www.ultimatecarpage.com so i hope i will get some friends here

You got one, buddy. Don't say too many stupid things in a row and you'll do just fine.

The guys who constantly splash bits of drivetrain across the asphault are driving too foolishly too often, and I lose patience with them. There are a lot of STi/EVO drivers out there who just plain abuse their cars — there's no denying it.

You can't give a car like these car the brutal 5-second-to-60 launch every time some jerkoff revs their engine at the stoplight, and you can't be a dragstrip regular with an axe to grind without breaking stuff.

I, like most lunatic wanna-be rallycar drivers, use my car on a daily basis. That means exponentially more trips to work or to the grocer's than blasts down the strip or banzai midnight runs through the hills.

I need a broken car and fist-full of repair bills like I need ****ing kidneystones. That's my situation. If my dad had a subscription to Forbes to make sure his name wasn't misspelled or if — as I suspect many wreckless STi/EVO drivers earn their apparent fortunes — my stock in the local dildo factory skyrocketed, I'd be far more comfortable with the sickening "snap" of a failed halft-shaft.

Plus, I don't get a kick out of breaking my toys.

So yeah, I'm more careful.

Just thought i show som pic's of the new Impreza, the driver is Petter Solberg of the WRC Subaru team, he has gotten it delivered.

And this is what the new WRX STI will look like:

Last edited by Fritz; 09-02-2007 at 04:52 AM.

Ugh. Reminds me of those bustle-back Cadillac Sevilles from the 80s. It's an unbalanced design. The Lancer's going more extreme while Subaru is taking a page from Hyundai's (financially successful, damn it) playbook and building a car that looks like it's been designed by the Bangor, Maine Morning Optimists Club.

I don't even want to know more about it. If anybody hears that it's dynamically better, send me a message or something, but for all I care Subaru's new WRX/STi — one of my favorite cars — is dead to me.

Considering how much more fun of a car that Lancer Evo has been, I really doubt this WRX STI has what it takes to take it on this time. I really don't like the direction Subaru is going in general because even the WRX is more of a everybody car in the sense that it is not as fun to drive.

Quote Originally Posted by LandQuail View Post
    Ugh. Reminds me of those bustle-back Cadillac Sevilles from the 80s. It's an unbalanced design. The Lancer's going more extreme while Subaru is taking a page from Hyundai's (financially successful, damn it) playbook and building a car that looks like it's been designed by the Bangor, Maine Morning Optimists Club.

I don't even want to know more about it. If anybody hears that it's dynamically better, send me a message or something, but for all I care Subaru's new WRX/STi — one of my favorite cars — is dead to me.
    surely you could upgrade/replace existing components on your STI with parts from the new one? it may not be possible, but these cars are an evolving model not a revolutionary one so there should be commonality right?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    Considering how much more fun of a car that Lancer Evo has been, I really doubt this WRX STI has what it takes to take it on this time. I really don't like the direction Subaru is going in general because even the WRX is more of a everybody car in the sense that it is not as fun to drive.
    How can you tell by just looking at the pictures? Plus the STI is not even out yet. And by the way neither is the Evo X.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    How can you tell by just looking at the pictures? Plus the STI is not even out yet. And by the way neither is the Evo X.
    Well, I'm not taking it so much from the looks as I'm taking it from how Subaru is performing their current operations and how the previous cars from both Mitsu and Subaru have been.

The new WRX (non-STI) from what I read is not nearly as fun or as quick as the past ones, which the reasoning was that Subaru is headed in a new direction with the company and want to be more mainstream. I sincerely hope they don't do anything to make the WRX STI go in that direction as well (slower, not as fun to drive).

But like I said, I'm making an assumption (from the models of the past) that the Lancer Evo will still be more track capable than the WRX STI and the WRX STI will be better for everyday use.

I now beg Subaru not to make the WRX STI less fun to drive. Also (just my opinion), I think the Lancer looks better than the Impreza (I imagine it will stay that way for me when the new WRX STI and the Evo X are on the streets).
    Last edited by Lets Gekiga In; 09-05-2007 at 12:55 AM.

Well the thing is Subaru wants to make money, so it's natural that they go for a more mainstream model for this generation of Impreza. The hatchback will help Subaru have more presence, as will the soon to be launched flat four diesel engine. However the 4 door saloon is still there, if someone wants it.

However what I like about this car is that despite going mianstream all the traditional Subaru hardware is still there. Boxer engines, four wheel drive. And for me in the end that's what matters. And the regular hatch doesn't look offensive, if a little bland. Altough what an imporvement on the interior.

In fact I've never been too interested in the STI and the Evo, since in my opinion they are chavtastic, winged family saloons with low rent interiors with shiny aftermarket stereos and no flair whatsoever. However while the normal Lancers are mostly rubbish the bread and butter Imprezas still retain the engineering flair its big brother has. And that in my opnion compares very favourably to the current family hatchbacks.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

In fact I've never been too interested in the STI and the Evo, since in my opinion they are chavtastic, winged family saloons with low rent interiors with shiny aftermarket stereos and no flair whatsoever.
    while i agree, a well set up one is a heck of a weapon for the price
    However while the normal Lancers are mostly rubbish
    apparently the new ones are better? sold out in the US at least.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information