Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WRX STi. What of it?

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    while i agree, a well set up one is a heck of a weapon for the price.
    I know they are phenomenally fast. I still can't get excited about them.
    apparently the new ones are better? sold out in the US at least.
    Well there's hardly anything interesting about 1.8-litre 144bhp front wheel drive saloon that looks a bit like a Seat Cordoba...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I know they are phenomenally fast. I still can't get excited about them.
    understandable
    i'd love to be given one, i'd just never pay for one.
    Well there's hardly anything interesting about 1.8-litre 144bhp front wheel drive saloon that looks a bit like a Seat Cordoba...
    true, but if it sells well it can't be that bad (although the corolla sells well..)
    it's just that mitsu has had some bad rep so it could be a good product if it's getting customers back?
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

true, but if it sells well it can't be that bad (although the corolla sells well..)
    it's just that mitsu has had some bad rep so it could be a good product if it's getting customers back?
    Well maybe it's a good product, but somehow I find the Impreza a lot more interesting from the enthusiasts point of view. Of course if you are just shoping for a car to take you from A to B the Lancer will do. But then again I think here it's destined to be a low profile car, again because of no hatchback option and because Mitsubishi isn't that well known here. I guess a similar thing has happened with the Colt.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Lets Gekiga In View Post
    The new WRX (non-STI) from what I read is not nearly as fun or as quick as the past ones,
    Subaru Impreza | evo Car Reviews | Car Reviews | evo

"It’s still great to drive…"

"The WRX is still a real drivers’ car. You can’t argue with that superb chassis and the power of the turbo engine."

Considering how much more fun of a car that Lancer Evo has been, I really doubt this WRX STI has what it takes to take it on this time. I really don't like the direction Subaru is going in general because even the WRX is more of a everybody car in the sense that it is not as fun to drive.
    An MY05 STi is a faster track weapon than an EVO9, because it has 1) semi-slick tyres and 2) you can wind the drive back using the DCCD to a 25/75 (IIRC) f/r split. But the EVO has been more "fun" because you throw it around more, I've seen it called a big go-kart in a fair few reviews. (Though I'm personally an EVO man, just a pity they don't sound as good as a Rexy)

surely you could upgrade/replace existing components on your STI with parts from the new one? it may not be possible, but these cars are an evolving model not a revolutionary one so there should be commonality right?
    Negatory. Don't know about the front suspension, but the rear is all new (double wishbones now) so you'd have a hard time swapping anything over.
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

The amount of positives we got from people viewing the new WRX from the Subaru dealership I work at was higher than I was anticipating I have to say.

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser View Post
    The amount of positives we got from people viewing the new WRX from the Subaru dealership I work at was higher than I was anticipating I have to say.
    Well hatches are loved in the UK, and small saloons are pretty much unsaleable.
    Visca Catalunya!

You know, that really irks me that you just assume I read Evo Car Reviews and that's all I read and just trying to make me look stupid because you post a link to a review which I probably didn't read. I said from what I read that is isn't as fun as a car:

Full Test: 2008 Subaru Impreza WRX - Road Tests - Car and Driver September 2007

Quote Originally Posted by CandD
    Courting the Mainstream: The WRX trades rallying rawness for wider appeal.

So it’s a different kind of WRX. It’s softer, more rounded, and may be more palatable to more people, but it feels like a sportier sedan rather than a rally car for the road. Subaru says it was aiming to broaden the WRX’s appeal...
    Edit: I also wanted to add that we are talking about two different cars. The U.S WRX doesn't have as much power as the one listed. Our WRX has 224 hp and is slower 0-60, not to mention it is slower in the 1/4 mile compared to our last WRX. But as I also said, the U.S. WRX, according to Car and Driver, doesn't seem to be as fun to drive as the last WRX
    Last edited by Lets Gekiga In; 09-05-2007 at 01:29 PM.
    "He who has overcome his fears will truly be free."

If I'm not mistaken the rally car for the road was supposed to be the STI, never the WRX. The WRX was just a fast Impreza.
    Visca Catalunya!

If I'm not mistaken the rally car for the road was supposed to be the STI, never the WRX. The WRX was just a fast Impreza.
    Well, if you lived in the U.S. you would probably understand better that we first got the WRX in 2001 and it wasn't until 3 years down the road from then that we got our first WRX STi (STI now over here).

And as I said prior, Car and Driver said that it isn't as fun to drive. I personally have not driven the car.

Well, if you lived in the U.S. you would probably understand better that we first got the WRX in 2001 and it wasn't until 3 years down the road from then that we got our first WRX STi (STI now over here).

And as I said prior, Car and Driver said that it isn't as fun to drive. I personally have not driven the car.
    And Car and Driver is good because.......???

Quote Originally Posted by JRodrigues View Post
    And Car and Driver is good because.......???
    Oh give me a break. I said from what I read, not if it's a good magazine or not. Please do read next time.

Plus I love how you chose to ignore what was more important. That the cars we were talking about are actually not the same spec wise. And I honestly think a magazine that has been around as long as C and D has more credibility than a magazine that isn't even a decade old.
    Last edited by Lets Gekiga In; 09-05-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Considering how much more fun of a car that Lancer Evo has been, I really doubt this WRX STI has what it takes to take it on this time. I really don't like the direction Subaru is going in general because even the WRX is more of a everybody car in the sense that it is not as fun to drive.
    (LandQuail has resorted to his native hillbilly vonacular to respond to this post. Please excuse all gramatical errors. He's had a lot of whisky tonight, and he doesn't really mean it. — the editors)

You sumbich, I'll get you if'n I come 'cross ya. Stay '**** outa Arkansas, and don' let that damn ole sun set in Tulsa, if'n ya know what I mean.

Tha STi's better n' tha EVO 'caus a' tha damn engine, and 'cause it don't make ya look like a goddam', hentai-crazed fool to ery'one, ery'where ya drives it.

Mitsubishi won't ever be the equal of Subaru in the engine department, in my estimation, because there's no way to make an inline-4 sound like anything but an inline four. And those damn inline 4s sound like hammered dogshit, in my estimation.
    They whine and buzz and snap and crack'l — BUT THEY JUST DON'T MOTHAFUK'N POP!

Subaru's boxer four makes the best noise I've ever heard a four cylinder make, save for the Ferrari Monza I see'd Alan De Cadenet drive on the picture-tube. It growls. It's gravell'y, it purrs and it hollers. That dam' ole EVO engine just humms 'n whines like a lil-titty-baby.

And further more,
    The STi's much better suited to gravel roads, and we gots-a-shitload of gravel roads here in Arkansas (and if you pronounce it "our Kansas" 'round me, I'll slit yer throat) and I've gone to great lengths to drive most of 'em.

My very favorite remains the road to my Pa's house. If'n ya' wanna' see it, go to:

Guion, AR, United States of America - Google Maps

Follow Highway 58 and "take a right" onto the unnamed road just east of CR (County Road) 177. It looks real straight, but at 40 or 50 mph, those sweepers tighten up real good, and there's plenty opportunity to get sideways..

That's the road LandQuail grew up on, and it, along with the roads around it, are where he learned to be a driver.

I made it from the northern end of that unnamed road to the intersection of Highway 58 and Highway 69 in 7 minutes and 53 seconds in a 1981 Mercedes 380 SL, and I've outrun a driver in the first of the modern Corvette Z-06s on that same road in that same old SL.

I've run that same stretch of road in what I think was just over five minutes in my STi, reaching 135 mph on the longest straight. Nobody's going to beat me on that road, EVO or otherwise.

Sure, the EVO's got a more adjustable chassis. It's got better steering feel and it probably pulls more Gs around a skidpad. But I'm not getting in one, because a trip down a gravel road would knock the front splitter off an EVO, and the engine sounds like every other rice-rocket out there. I've driven my STi to its limits, and it's tested mine. I've entered curves too fast and Known that I was about to crash, but my STi's bailed me out without my even really knowing what I did at the wheel. It's convinced me, as my 380SL has. I'm a Subaru man. You ain't gonna' change it.

(Pictured is LandQuail competing in an Autocross at War Memorial Staduim ((The irony is not lost on the editors)) approximately one year ago. Note the general filthiness of the car. It is one of LandQuail's trademarks. The "Kerry-Edwards" sticker visible in the rear window has since been removed, as LandQuail has lost faith in the American political process. — The editors)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by LandQuail; 09-08-2007 at 06:24 PM.

ok, here it is, the new WRX STI

Last edited by Fritz; 09-11-2007 at 12:38 PM.

No it isn't. It's the WRC Concept.

Thread Information