Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real life vs. Forza, plus I'd like help ;)

Real life vs. Forza, plus I'd like help ;)

Part of the reason for my lack of posts the past 4 weeks or so, is that the aspect of cars that interests me most has changed - currently, I am most interested in the actual dynamics of racing, other than how a car's stats (like powerbands, grip, etc) affect how good a car can potentially be on the track.

So, as an example question for many more to come, I am going to ask for help on the NSX I have been enjoying. Currently, I am trying to find the perfect combination of things possible in Forza Motorsport, for what was originally a J-type NSX (2004, is the year). I am not having any actual problems with it at the moment, but still would like help making it even better. It currently is naturally aspirated at 398horsepower and 301 ft-lbs of torque, weighing in at 2,586 pounds - 41% of which is at the front. It has such perfect understeer at the moment, and I have been using it very often for early apexes on turns. It goes through most turns like a dream! Except hairpins. In hairpins, the understeer really makes itself felt too much - is there a way I could keep the understeer I have, while opening up the ability for less understeer at slower speeds? I have been trying to play around with the springs, anti-roll bar and damping primarily, but it doesn't seem to help. ANy suggestions? Thanks!

Yes, I know Forza Motorsport is unrealistic, for several reasons, and that there probably IS a solution to this, but there is a good chance it is not something Forza lets you change. However, I found that I was coming up with ALOT of questions about racing, from the best angle to attack a turn, to the tuning of a car's suspension. I decided that a thread like this, where I asked these questions, would teach me alot. I do NOT care if the answer is something I cannot change in the game, or anything really. I just want to get to know this side of cars better There will be many more questions like the NSX one, sometimes about tuning a car set-up in the finest details, or if its changing a whole section of the car, or jsut how to best take something through a turn when I don't know what to make of how the traction, braking ability, and balance of the car work out in the end. Thanks to everyone who answers questions here! You guys rock!
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

You could try lowering the car first. Then try dealing with the spring rates and stuff like that. After that try putting negative toe in the back. This is what I do in GT4. It actually works pretty well for me. Lowering the car would probably work (just try not to make it TOO low). The rest of the stuff could affect the understeer that you want though. Just try experimenting a lot. Sometimes you just happen to find the right setup.

stiffen the front suspension and increase the rear downforce, problem solved

I'd say stiffen the rear anti-roll bar, although that might give you some oversteer at the sweepers too.

Is there such thing as perfect understeer? I'd say neutral balance with on demand oversteer is perfect...

You could also try driving around it. Just brake a little bit earlier or put your apex a little bit later.
    Zag when they Zig

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    stiffen the front suspension and increase the rear downforce, problem solved
    All downforce options are maxed out, for the best handling and traction I can possibly get :-p

Lowering the car.....I shall try that - after that, I'll go for stiffening the roll bar. I'll come back later with the results of this.

To be honest it might be easier just to modify your driving style rather than the car itself if you're having problems in the low speed corners. Understeer into low speed corners like hairpins is almost guaranteed to be down to a slightly too optimistic entry speed. Just drop the anchors a little earlier and focus on getting the thing pointed at the apex nice and smoothly. By the sound of it you've got more than enough grunt to be able to counter any mid corner/exit understeer with a squeeze of the loud pedal.

As Magracer said, I don't really know what you mean by "Perfect Understeer", understeer is normally any race drivers' nightmare. To each their own I guess.

I've never played Forza, but on the technical side I'd say go for a slightly softer front ARB, that should theoretically reduce the understeer for the hairpins and such. Of course it might also eliminate the understeer you seem to cherish in the higher speed stuff.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

just use the e-brake to induce oversteer
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Fixed it - spring rates.

The way it handles - MUST turn in early - at beginning, it is most definitely understeer --> however....it slides SO nicely when you gun the engine after the apex. It'll slide maybe half it's width, VERY smoothly (back end, still), and then jump ahead. Problem solved, and now I am not sure whether its understeer or oversteer, as it's doing both; what would that be? Just lack of quick handling response, or something else?

Have you tried messing with the tire pressures at all?
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Tire pressures were fun to play with Yeah, I did. Currently at an offset, 27psi at front and 26psi at back. Works very nicely

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Bauer
    As Magracer said, I don't really know what you mean by "Perfect Understeer", understeer is normally any race drivers' nightmare. To each their own I guess.
    Its not really, since you can't have a perfectly balenced car most go with slight understeer so they can get the power down out of a corner without fear of spinning. I remember reading that Fernando Alonso sets his car up with alot of understeer because it suits his style, so its hardly a nightmare.

Lol, ok, since there has been enough debate about it, I will just explain my language usage. By perfect, I mean for how I drive, and it just...."flows" through corners beautifully.

Next project - Since the NSX is more or less complete, I am going to move on - I am going to take a.....Honda S2000. This will be fun

The mugen s2000 was one of my first favorite, fast, and fun cars. I spent hours fine tuning it, it's a beast.

the 355 is proably my favourite car in that game.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    the 355 is proably my favourite car in that game.
    Ah yes, the challenge 355 is an amazing car(hint: you can win any A-class event with the car tuned to A1), another favorite.

Thread Information