Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Internet Speeds around the world

Land of hockey, maple syrup, and hot white chicks

Internet Speeds around the world

Hey i wanted to know what you guys use for downloads and the rate that you get. I use Limewire for songs and Bit comet for movies. I have high speed cable reated at 5 MB. Obviosly i don't ever download at that rate. The fastest I've ever hit is 1.3 MB/s but that was downloading CS Source from the steam network. P2P networks are alot slower obviosly i've hit as high as 200 kb and as low as 5 but avg is about 30 kb. I heard that in other countires the net is way faster, like in Korea I hear they have net speeds rated at 30 Mb/s. I know that some places have dial-up where they pay per minute (egypt). Was wondering how the net was in europe or wherever you guys are at.

EDIT: ANYONE KNOW a good site that test internet speed we could use it to get a roughly even comparison..i know the time u try it matter depending on users on but for the sake of this i say we let it go..
    Last edited by bmwpower; 06-12-2006 at 06:41 PM.
    Be polite, Be professional, Be prepared to kill...

i have a 2mb service which is enough. My brother has 8mb, which IMO is a bit overkill

1mb .. highest the crap BT lines can support here !!

125/130kb/s download , through Internet, P2P and BitTorrent.

Cousin in Aus has 24mb ADSL2 , Il get him to do a speedtest. Although only took him hour and half to download the 3.2GB Vista Download.

I'd love 24Mb/s, but I'm too far from the exchange, so I have to settle for 8Mb/s.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    I'd love 24Mb/s, but I'm too far from the exchange, so I have to settle for 8Mb/s.
    I am very close to the Exchange, and get 1meg lines. They really need to upgrade... need tro contact BT about it.

Jamaica, New York, USA... for now, out in the DR studyin!
    Download 384 kbps, upload 128 kbps
    upgrading to 786 kbps, 512 kbps
    WHEN THE POWER OF LOVE OVERCOMES THE LOVE OF POWER, THE WORLD WILL KNOW PEACE!!!!!!!!!!
    -Jimi Hendrix

on 4mb here i think...
    How can men use sex to get what they want?
    Sex is what they want. - Frasier

Quote Originally Posted by adamfraser
    I am very close to the Exchange, and get 1meg lines. They really need to upgrade... need tro contact BT about it.
    The line isnt the issue - I'm on a line the former monoply carrier said can only take 28kb/s, yet with a different ISP installing their DSLAM in the exchange they can give me 8Mb/s.

Its more what BT are willing to invest in DSLAMs or what they are willing to sell you - here the former monolopy carrier is also a part owner in pay TV and wont sell faster than 1.5Mb/s. Streaming TV requires 1.6Mb/s, cant see any coincidence here at all.....
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Quote Originally Posted by bmwpower
    Hey i wanted to know what you guys use for downloads and the rate that you get. I use Limewire for songs and Bit comet for movies. I have high speed cable reated at 5 MB. Obviosly i don't ever download at that rate. The fastest I've ever hit is 1.3 MB/s but that was downloading CS Source from the steam network. P2P networks are alot slower obviosly i've hit as high as 200 kb and as low as 5 but avg is about 30 kb. I heard that in other countires the net is way faster, like in Korea I hear they have net speeds rated at 30 Mb/s. I know that some places have dial-up where they pay per minute (egypt). Was wondering how the net was in europe or wherever you guys are at.
    I could be wrong, but I get the impression that you think that the 5Mb package you pay for means 5MB/second, which isn't quite true. The Mb is actually megabit, not mega byte. That basically means it's an eighth of what you see on the package (there's 8 bits in a byte, yeah?). So your theoretical top speed is 400kb/s. (The small b in Mb indicates that it means bits, not bytes, which is signified by a capital B).

Mine's an NTL connection, which means they arse around with it on a regular basis. I think that last time I checked, I was on 1.5Mb, but it's being upgraded to 3Mb at the end of this month. Still got a pitiful upload though.

I have pathetic .5mb/s DSL

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I have that and it's fine for me...

I wouldn't turn down 1Mb+, but I personally work fine with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zytek_Fan
    I have a really pathetic 256 kb/s which usually gets ~16 kb/s. It takes me two weeks to download the weekly episode of Top Gear (I usually leave it overnight)...:P Such is life in tropics!

I pay USD$33 a month for that crap, what about you guys?

At the office it's much, much faster but I cannot really use it...
    Zag when they Zig

Mine is a bit slow, because it connects through my workstation at work - allows me to access my work computer whenever i want but i have to deal with much slower internet
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Guest Guest
    used to be on awful 512 k, but now on "up to 8 Mb", got 920 Kb/s this mornign!

Thread Information