Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fuel Myth

Fuel Myth

I was talking to my driving instructor a while back, and she told me that if you leave a car running while you are filling up the tank there is a chance of explosion. I thought about it and first thought it was possible but then i thought about how race cars fuel up in the pits. Strictly speaking about mass prooduced production road cars, is this possible, and is there something in place to prevent it. I was wondering because I have thought of a few ways to create this, and if there isnt one I would love to have a patent on it.

Thanks guys
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

I don't know for certain, but with regulations the way they are I'm sure (new cars at least) would have systems in place to prevent it. The other thing is of course, it's basically impossible to do because most cars have a locking cap that uses the ignition key to open it.

If you really want to be ultra safe, fit an earthing rod to your car - but you will look like a 87 year old Honda Civic driver
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I dont think so because the fuel is only ignited when the valves are closed. The spark never has a chance to reach the rest of the fuel,thus no exploding fuel lines/tank.

ive seen static electricity light petrol fumes around people filling up... its possible i suppose.
    The Datto will rage again...

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    The other thing is of course, it's basically impossible to do because most cars have a locking cap that uses the ignition key to open it.
    You're forgetting this is 2006 and to open the cap all you have to do is switch/press the small lever/button below your seat....

There is something you can use to ensure you don't explode at a petrol/gas station.

It's something called "diesel".
    Thanks for all the fish

I've heard the same advice but never heard of a refueling fire caused by a running engine. Static electricity however does cause fires, especially when people fill-up gasoline containers that are still in the car.

There was a story where someone had a gas can in the back of their wagon and instead of taking it out and putting it on the floor to ground it, they just dragged it to the edge of the carpeted area and starting to fill it. The static-charged can exploded when he made contact with fueling nozzle.

Makes me think that even though this is a rare incident but being shocked when you touch a car in cool dry conditions, shouldn't something more be done about electrically grounding a car? Are there any negatives to grounding?...... Battery drainage? ..... Car being affected by lightning?
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Cars are basically a Faraday cage (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage) so you're completely safe from lightning, and they're isolated from the ground by the tires - the chances of an explosion are tiny.

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    You're forgetting this is 2006 and to open the cap all you have to do is switch/press the small lever/button below your seat....
    D'oh
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

In most of the cars that I see, there isnt even a switch or button to open the gase tanks, you just have to pull it open
    The McLaren F1- The most fun you can have with your clothes on

"Live Fast, Die Young, and Leave a Good Looking Corpse" -James Dean, weeks before dying in a car crash at the age of 24

Just to be on the safe side... just switch off the car anyway when you're filling up... Better safe than sorry... all petrol stations here have signs saying 'please switch off the engine'... must be for a reason...?
    Alright brain... you don't like me and I don't like you... but lets just do this...

Quote Originally Posted by mclaren_crazy
    I thought about it and first thought it was possible but then i thought about how race cars fuel up in the pits. Strictly speaking about mass prooduced production road cars, is this possible, and is there something in place to prevent it. I was wondering because I have thought of a few ways to create this, and if there isnt one I would love to have a patent on it.
    ...because we know every vehicle in the world is the same right? honestly

I can say that football players are big but then theres players like warrick dunn who is about average at 5-10 170lbs

OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions!

thats why he said it CAN explode (as in.. u CAN win the lottery-there i a chance)... not that it WILL explode (as in... u WILL win the 1-man race-there is 100% possibility)

god DAMMIT!
    Last edited by d-quik; 06-15-2006 at 12:02 PM.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

It's best not to fuel while engine is running for more reasons than just fire.

Modern cars have closed fuel systems which are connected to sensors and often it will trigger a 'check engine' light to come on if you remove the fuel cap during engine operation. Then you'll wonder wtf is wrong with your car this time...and take it a mechanic who then you'll have to pay to reset the light after he finds nothing wrong. After it's checked out he'll askyou if it's possible you removed the fuel cap while the engine was running....you'll feel stupid but enlightened and you'll never do it again(hopefully).

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    ...because we know every vehicle in the world is the same right? honestly

I can say that football players are big but then theres players like warrick dunn who is about average at 5-10 170lbs

OBVIOUSLY there are exceptions!

thats why he said it CAN explode (as in.. u CAN win the lottery-there i a chance)... not that it WILL explode (as in... u WILL win the 1-man race-there is 100% possibility)

god DAMMIT!
    Relax. You definately have to sort out some of your forum issues..

On the static issue they say before refueling you should touch a metal part on your car to get rid of the shock.

Besides an open flame... static charge is a biggie as far as igniting gasoline...that's why you aren't suppose to use a cellphone while fueling etc.

Thread Information