Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GM and Toyota company comparisons

GM and Toyota company comparisons

Came across this forum and saw several posts slamming Toyota and we all have an opinion worthy of hearing. What I find ironic is that many people praise GM and again, your opinion counts. But even if we ignore the comparison on the number of defects that leave a GM plant compared to Toyota (which by the way are doing great things for providing jobs in the U.S. while GM sends workers packing) you can still find reason to corss your arms and shake your head at GM. I don't work for any auto maker. But happen to have been priviledged enough to do some management and quality consulting for a handful of automakers including GM, and have done consulting and training work for many firms.

I'll just say that the closer you get to GM management, quality, and leadership personnel, the more you find yourself saying "what the h**l is going on here"! It is baffling! Quality...not enough of a concern. Customer...so what. Their workforce...who cares. Profit...there you go, that's all we need to worry about. In some cases they actually would rather commit suicide than change. No change equals no improvement equals our competitors will surely leave us behind.

Compare to Toyotas philosophy...treat all employees as valuable resources and good people, and constantly impove methods and quality...this means a better product for you, growth, more jobs, and an actual future. When you see the inner-workings it is not only baffling but sometimes even scary. I don't see GM being even considered Big 3 in 30 years. The leadership and culture impede any improvement. But it's not only management. I'm neither pro-union or against union. When a union works it works. When it doesn't you have GM. Union/management teamwork and progress was as good back in the old coal-mining days as they are in some of the gm facilities today. Detroit steel and Japanese junk don't really hold true today. I'll pick a company that understands leadership, management, and concern for customer and employee anyday. sorry for the long-winded post, but man...drive for profit only is a short-term goal that will not last.

Stop looking at me! Look at me! Stop looking at me!
    Something fishy going on here.

Toyota's profits already far exceeds GMs. Their monthly profit exceeds many nation's yearly profit.

I think in terms of financial strength Toyota is already the world's biggest Automaker.

Other than that I know absolutely nothing about the GM debacle. Don't write GM off just yet though.

Quote Originally Posted by digitalcraft
    Something fishy going on here.

i agree, id say there is more GM bashing then toyota bashing. And even then i believe this is a pretty balanced forum.

This post however, far from balanced and filled w/ statements but no facts to hold them up.
    You can call me scott.

who is this guy? the way he talks sounds like he is a disgruntled worker
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Erm, are you sure you were reading this forum? We rarely praise GM, except for the domestic (US) fanboys. The only cars that I like out of GM are the Corvette and the Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky.

I don't like either company. Toyota's new cars remind me of the old Hyundais and Daewoos, actually make the EXTERIOR LOOK MORE HIGH QUALITY!!! I know Toyota quality is good, but actually show it! The only cars I like are all discontinued, MR-S, Celica GT-S, and Supra. I don't give a s**t about GM, I'd rather care about Ford/Lincoln/Mercury or Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.

Maybe there is some GM bashing around here. BUT doesn't GM give us plenty of good reasons to do so ?

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    I don't like either company. Toyota's new cars remind me of the old Hyundais and Daewoos, actually make the EXTERIOR LOOK MORE HIGH QUALITY!!! I know Toyota quality is good, but actually show it! The only cars I like are all discontinued, MR-S, Celica GT-S, and Supra. I don't give a s**t about GM, I'd rather care about Ford/Lincoln/Mercury or Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep.
    People who buy Toyotas don't do it to show off, to keep the prices the same better looking but lower quality materials would have to be used. Lowering quality for the sake of people who aren't buying the thing is stupid.

GM (and their supporters) deserve everything they get.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    People who buy Toyotas don't do it to show off, to keep the prices the same better looking but lower quality materials would have to be used. Lowering quality for the sake of people who aren't buying the thing is stupid.

GM (and their supporters) deserve everything they get.

I agree, and if you want toyota but w/ higher quality and stuff to show off, buy a lexus.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t
    Of course, we've got Fiats and Citroens (amongst others) for that...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

follow up

Just to clarify...no I'm not an employee for either company. Actually just a quality management consultant not affiliated with any automaker that, as I had mentioned, am just aware of some internal issues in the auto industry; some of which were pretty troubling.

My hopes would be that none of the automakers are written off. I'd hope to see growth beyond anything in the past 20-30 years but just feel some big changes are needed before that will happen. Otherwise it's just one crisis after another. That's all...just observations. Nothing more.

Loss of GM = Loss of Vauxhaul.

Can't see a single bad part

I don't know if this thread is legit or not, but I did read something interesting a few months ago in Car & Driver. One of the writers was sitting in on a "Big 3 luncheon" of some kind where some VP level exec's were getting together to talk business. The C&D writer reported that they spoke badly about "customers", actually made affirmative statements that were negative about the customers. They alsolaughed about the other problems the Detroit scene is dealing with. I couldn't believe it. It was C&D for sure, too. Sounded like a bunch of overpayed frat boys.

Also, does anyone watch the Auto news show on Speed Channel? Its a panel show with auto execs and designers changing every week? Check it out some time and see how GM representatives look, act and talk about their business when compared to other makers. One time there wasa Volvo guy and a ford guy discussing the new (at the time) Ford/Mercury Milan/Mazda 6 platform car. The Volvo dude was discussing the next s40 (same price range). The Volvo guy spoke so well about his car and the design philosophy. the Ford guy couldn't say anything about the car, really, he just said look how shiny the grill is, literally. Look at the chrome. It was sad, especially when you consider that Ford owns Volvo.

Was it the Ford guy's job to sell the car? He could have just been a manager.

Thread Information