Thread: 1980 280zx Starting Problems

1980 280zx Starting Problems

2 years. 2 years I have been dealing with this irritating problem. Its time to do something. My 1980 280zx 2+2 has had almost a complete overhaul. My problem is that when my car has been running for any amount of time whether it be to the store or across country, it never cranks on the first time. It will crank perfectly within 3-5 minutes after I shut it off, but give 10 minutes or longer and it takes an act of God to crank it. Only when its warm and sits for a short period do I have these problems. Let the engine get cooled off and shes fine. It takes about three attempts before she comes alive. During these attempts the engine just turns and turns. Know in the morning she is awesome, cranks rite up. I have tried new fuel filters, cold start valve, air filter, distributor, rotory tip, wires, plugs, several other things . I have yet to replace the fuel injectors, but they seem to be fine. My next step would be to change the fuel pressure regulator, but who knows it to could be good. Any advice would be helpful.

Vapor Lock possibly? I know on the 300zx they had a system which cooled the fuel rails to prevent this. Not so sure they have it on the 280?

My old Rover used to do similar to that, if I went somewhere I couldn't start it again for about half an hour. My problem was purely with heat, the radiator was buggered and it was too hot to start again. If you do it straight away I'd guess that the fuel hasn't been sitting there long enough to vapourise.

Thread Information