View Poll Results: Which manufacturer makes the best "tweaked up" models?

Voters
54. You may not vote on this poll
  • BMW ///M

17 31.48%
  • Mercedes-benz ///AMG

18 33.33%
  • Audi S/RS

19 35.19%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BMW ///M, Mercedes-benz ///AMG, or Audi S/RS?

BMW ///M, Mercedes-benz ///AMG, or Audi S/RS?

All three manufacturers are very popular, but which has the best tuner company?

I think AMG Benzs are more for straightline speed, no? BMW M seems to do well in all areas of performance. That's what the car magazines tell me anyway. I think both audi and bmw are better than benz when it comes to their tuners.

AMG has more aggressive styling though...not as bland as BMW and Audi...

All these companies are in-house tuners, so they are not really independent in their development programmes. Their products' properties and attributes are decided, in a large extent, by their parent companies (Mercedes, BMW and Audi)

They are all distinguished brands in their own right.

I believe that one cannot choose who is the best tuner (for the reasons I stated above), but one can say who they perceive as the best one (brand preference)

So, for me, the core values of the M division suit my tastes best. I prefer the high-revving nature of their power plants and the smart differentials that assist cornering. I appreciate the technical route taken by AMG (super-turbo charging) but I like the sound of a revving V10 downshifting! As for Audi's S and RS line-up: They are not up there in terms of brand awareness and image. They also seem to have a mixed personality. They offered turbocharged powerplants in the past, but now they offer naturaly aspirated, high-revving monsters. I am confused. I will need time to get used to this transition.

Quote Originally Posted by Gtek-i
    AMG has more aggressive styling though...not as bland as BMW and Audi...
    Erm no, AMG makes probably the most discreet cars and the S Audis are very subtle too. But M BMW's have gone mental. Look at the current generation M5, it's anything but discreet and subtle. And that's a pity.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Erm no, AMG makes probably the most discreet cars and the S Audis are very subtle too. But M BMW's have gone mental. Look at the current generation M5, it's anything but discreet and subtle. And that's a pity.
    i will take Mpower over any other amg .. what i hate about AMG is that they never offer a manual gear box witch for me is verry important...
    in my opinion manual gear box is the best for sport carsif u never driven a manual sport car u havnt driven anything...Ucan do much more with a manual gear box= more fun in driving...

Quote Originally Posted by white devil
    i will take Mpower over any other amg .. what i hate about AMG is that they never offer a manual gear box witch for me is verry important...
    in my opinion manual gear box is the best for sport carsif u never driven a manual sport car u havnt driven anything...Ucan do much more with a manual gear box= more fun in driving...
    Then hurry up, in no time at all no proper manuals will be available for M Motosport cars either...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Look at the current generation M5, it's anything but discreet and subtle. And that's a pity.
    I'm not so sure, I was trying to point one out (that was in a traffic jam on Holywell Hill) to a couple of my mates the other day, and I almost had to go and stand next to it!

It could very easily be mistaken for a 535i by an 'untrained' eye.

Although I will agree that the Mercs are by far the subtlest, that won't be for too long if AMG get their way!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

I have to admit having a secret love for AMG Mercedes-Benzes, but don't tell anyone...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    It could very easily be mistaken for a 535i by an 'untrained' eye.
    Or even a 520d if it has the Sport kit...

Sounds like a diesel at "normal" revs too, so that makes it even more difficult to spot.
    Thanks for all the fish

Pretty much top of my 'lottery win list' is a Brabus EV12 - the E-Class looks really mean with a few subtle additions.
    Attached Images Attached Images

i still haven't forgiven ///M for that monstrosity it calls an M5, so an audi RS (RS4 to be particular) for me
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Or even a 520d if it has the Sport kit...

Sounds like a diesel at "normal" revs too, so that makes it even more difficult to spot.
    Indeed - I think I'd have to put, shall we say, a 'mild' sports exhaust on it if I had one.

Audi are really on the bubble with this gen's versions of the RS4 and hopefully RS6 too. Theyve finally managed to crack the balance (from what Ive read) between their 4WD and good handling, with the RS4 and new TT flying the flag for them so far.

Like people have mentioned before, its a very hard decision to pick between all three, with them taking different routes to achieve similar goals. Ive got a lot of respect for AMG's, they are bloody fast!! But for me they seem to lack the emotive feel that the MSport and RS badge give. AMG just seems to be a giant wallpaper brush of power on the cars, a bit too brutish. But that same brute force can be quite charming, the E55 was one of my favs.

MSport already had the handling part sussed, so the logical step for them was to really up the power, and they did that. The lack of an M7 (ill happily be corrected on that!) shows their philosophy of high revving, driver involving cars, putting that in a super-exec wouldnt work, whereas AMG and S convert their respective supersaloons into effortless cruisers.

After that giant rant.... RS wins by a whisker, with M and AMG level-pegging!!
    Porsche!

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Indeed - I think I'd have to put, shall we say, a 'mild' sports exhaust on it if I had one.
    A new firing order too probably.
    Thanks for all the fish

Thread Information